Data DVD Delivery in MP4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 16th, 2015, 08:55 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Data DVD Delivery in MP4

Hi Guys

Is there any particular reason why HD wedding files in MP4 format are not distributed on a data DVD so it can be played on a computer? Admittedly a big wedding would probably need a double disk set but we are looking at 30c each for blank DVD disks as opposed to an 8GB USB drive which often costs 20 times the price? With an autorun file and an HTML5 player on the disk you have a menu option too!!

Admittedly you are a bit restricted to devices but I wonder how many brides actually get control of the TV remote, dust off the DVD player and get the family to sit down and watch their wedding ? A lot of TV's have no USB input and often the ones that do don't seem to play HD videos ..just slideshows.

Just wondering ??? it certainly would stop having to distribute SD footage on DVD ....put it on a couple of data DVD's for computer viewing, add a USB for TV viewing and maybe an SD DVD for the grandparents

Any comments??
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2015, 09:40 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Data DVD Delivery in MP4

Mostly because a lot of new computers don't even have CD/DVD drives anymore. Storage size is kind of a bummer, too.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2015, 06:36 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Rob

That seems strange or maybe we are behind the times here. My brand new cameras had their software on disk and any hardware you buy (including new machines) have all the drivers on disk .... obviously tablets and such don't have disk drives but I must admit I have yet to see a computer without one ...the USA must be different??
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015, 03:20 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Rob

That seems strange or maybe we are behind the times here. My brand new cameras had their software on disk and any hardware you buy (including new machines) have all the drivers on disk .... obviously tablets and such don't have disk drives but I must admit I have yet to see a computer without one ...the USA must be different??
I haven't installed software from a disc that came with a camera for probably 10+ years. I always download the latest from the web.

My iMac doesn't have a CD drive.

My MacBookPro doesn't have a CD drive.

My son's windows PC (2014) doesn't.

My 2009 MacPro does.

A growing proportion of people only have tablets, none of which have a CD drive (or USB port come to think of it!).
Old July 17th, 2015, 03:26 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Rob

No Apple Mac has a built in optical disk drive now & I suspect that this may have been true for a year or two. I am sure that there are plenty of Windows PCs that don't have an optical drive especially the laptops.

There was no software on disk or indeed any disks in the box with either the AX33 or the AX100 that I just got from Amazon (I don't need two new camcorders I just wanted to compare them side by side & the clear winner was the AX100). Everything needs to be downloaded now.

Incidentally as a side note in our local Tesco supermarket the cheapest standalone DVD player is now just £15 ($23.50/€21.50) & the cheapest standalone Bul-ray player is £50($78/€71.50).
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015, 03:54 AM   #6
Trustee

Personally if you're going for data delivery its USB rather than disk. Problem with data disks is that people try to play them in their DVD player or expect them to work like a DVD. I've done data disks and its really hard trying to explain to some people no it won't work in a DVD player - But its a DVD they say why can't it work with my DVD player. Do I have a bad player - No your player is fine. The disk is for computer only - So if I can play it using the DVD drive on my computer why can't I play it on my DVD player. [Head bangs against wall].

Way things are going - I can see download being the ultimate delivery method. Not for a few years, but ultimately.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015, 04:36 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Thanks Guys

I was just asking! Have never actually done it or even contemplated it. My issue with the tablet crowd is that it's usually an iPad and of course, no USB port and here the cable from Apple costs $200 ..now that is a ripoff! so I usually get the question .."I can't plug the USB into my tablet" ...I believe the usual method is to put the video online and then download to your device which would be rather time consuming. Sitting on a server seems to be a pretty sensible way but uploads take time sadly for us.

Maybe that's why bride's like DVD delivery still?? Almost everyone has a DVD player! I guess for now it's USB for the tech ones and DVD's for the Mums and Dads? which is what we do currently except we don't put the long form onto USB ..just the short form. If they don't have a USB on any device is it their problem??
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques