DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Decent Video Camera Recommendations? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/529167-decent-video-camera-recommendations.html)

James Bishop July 20th, 2015 09:15 AM

Decent Video Camera Recommendations?

Hi All,

So I’ve been filming weddings now for about 5 years and have decided it’s time for a change. I plan on starting a ‘shoot it yourself’ company, so a couple of guests do the filming, and we then edit it all into a fun video.

I’ve had enough of working weekends!

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone could recommend any good, idiot proof, great quality video cameras?

Thanks!
James

Steve Burkett July 20th, 2015 09:28 AM

Re: Decent Video Camera Recommendations?

For idiot proof, I would highly recommend this little beauty:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VTech-Kidizo...m+Video+Camera

Aside from that, what's your budget?

James Bishop July 20th, 2015 09:35 AM

Lol.

I'm thinking anything up to about £1200, for both cameras...

Steve Burkett July 20th, 2015 09:44 AM

Sorry to clarify, you mean £1200 for each camera or £1200 to buy 2 cameras. I know Shoot It Yourself use larger cameras, but something like the Canon XA20 is a good alternative, close to the £1200 range. Also the Sony AX100 paired with its younger AX33 sibling would make a good combination. Its 4K would be an advantage you could market and ensure future proof, plus give you more editing options. Depends if you're loaning both cameras to one Wedding or double booking.

George Kilroy July 20th, 2015 10:19 AM

If you are going along this business route make sure you have good insurance to cover you and your clients for breakdown/damage, late delivery or lost in transit. I think you'll soon find that having only 2 cameras will limit your ability to grow a business.

It is a good business model if you can find your niche and correct pricing structure. I'm sure you've already looked at the companies out there offering this.

I looked into this business model a couple of years ago before I quit weddings and it certainly looked to be a lot less effort than shooting weddings.

As for cameras, at the time I was going to use Sony CX550, in fact I bough a couple to try the market but never did. They were around a grand each and were a very robust, versatile and easy to use camera but bear in mind that that was a few years ago now so you should look at the current equivalent, probably the AX100.

James Bishop July 20th, 2015 10:31 AM

Thanks for the advice.

I'm very much in the early stages at the moment. I've got a name and that's about it!

I did actually mean £1200 for both cams, but i'm happy to spend whatever it is i need to, to match what other companies are offering. I think i'll try and set the budget at £2000.

I need to look into insurance etc. I guess it will be quite a lot! Alternatively we could just take a very significant deposit from clients...

Can I ask why you didn't go ahead with it George?

George Kilroy July 20th, 2015 10:49 AM

James.

After 25+ years making wedding videos I had decided to get out before it was too late;) some life events made me consider doing something new. I was looking for something less pressured and thought it would be a good idea to keep within the area I knew without having to be so involved, SIY seemed to fit that. However having looked into it I decided that I wouldn't want to make the investment needed to establish it as a new business and didn't want to run two different wedding video offerings alongside each other. Then other opportunities arose which gave me the chance to do something completely different.

Peter Rush July 20th, 2015 10:57 AM

Sony AX33 - 4K but mainly for it's fantastic BOSS stabilisation

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-AX33-Ha...ywords=sony+ax

Steve Burkett July 20th, 2015 11:02 AM

I run a Guestcam service and use my very first HD camcorder for this - it cost me £700 at the time. Obviously rubbish in low light, but what sells it is a little furry cat shotgun mic on the top that gives it a professional look. Really, if you go cheap sub £1000, make sure you have a good mic attached to the top. Don't rely on the camcorders internal mics. The bonus is of course better sound and in that you need all the help you can get.

Here's the mic for a Canon Camcorder that I got back in 2010:

Canon DM-100 Directional Stereo Microphone: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

A good pairing with something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Defini...ords=camcorder

Looking for more Professional but at a budget, try this:

Panasonic AG-AC8 Camcorder-1080 pixels: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

George Kilroy July 20th, 2015 11:03 AM

Peter's suggestion is a similar form factor to the ones I used. A very handy and easy to use layout, pretty well fool proof.
As well as Steve's suggestions you'll need to budget for additional batteries.

George Kilroy July 20th, 2015 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Bishop (Post 1893027)
Thanks for the advice.

I'm very much in the early stages at the moment. I've got a name and that's about it!

I did actually mean £1200 for both cams, but i'm happy to spend whatever it is i need to, to match what other companies are offering. I think i'll try and set the budget at £2000.

I need to look into insurance etc. I guess it will be quite a lot! Alternatively we could just take a very significant deposit from clients...

If you haven't already take a look at the Shoot It Yourself site. There's a lot of information there that might be helpful but bear in mind that they have an established high profile boosted by their appearance on Dragons Den. They invested an awful lot of money up front by buying a stand at a national wedding exhibition, the place to be for high spending clients.

Starting from the ground in this business will I believe require a lot of energy, ingenuity and money. Not only a very good website but good links to it. There is a market out there for this sort of video but remember that people can do the same thing with iphones and the like so you'll need an edge to get the sort of people who would pay for this to go with you and not just use their friends' own smartphone footage. That edge must be very exciting editing.

James Bishop July 20th, 2015 12:14 PM

Thanks all. I will look through all those links and consider what is best. I definitely want to get a camera that I can attach a decent microphone too - partly so that this will make it look a bit more pro.

Thanks for explaining George! Just 5 years has been enough for me! Will have more of a look at the Shoot It Yourself site. Though really, I'm probably not looking to be as big as they are. I do other things as well, and I'm really only looking to do this part time - 2 or 3 bookings a month would do me.

I've got one idea which would differentiate me from Shoot It Yourself, which I will keep under wraps for now! ;) And having been filming wedding for 5 years now, I have several photographer friends who I can call on to recommend me to their clients. Will probably do one or two for free, to get some examples on the website.

George Kilroy July 20th, 2015 12:24 PM

That's good that you have track record in weddings and contacts and as your ambition is not to conquer or cream the market a couple of cameras should be enough to get you going. As you will have your own footage why not do some exciting edits for your website to give a flavour of your editing style to prospective clients. Or if you still have weddings to do take a camera along and give it to someone and suggest they shoot some stuff just for fun and see what you can do with that.

If you can afford the investment get the cameras when you can and start using them even if it's once a month, get your photographer friends to sound out one of their clients who's not booking a video. The thing in all markets is to strike while you have the fresh ideas before you get talked , or talk yourself, out of it.

Peter Rush July 20th, 2015 10:50 PM

The problem with cameras like the AX33 however is that it's really easy to put it into semi-auto or full manual mode - imagine someone knocking it into manual focus and it stays like that the rest of the day! They might not notice but you sure would when it came to editing. Maybe look at something with no physical button control such as this

Small Handheld HD Camcorder | HDR-CX405 | Sony UK

Also have you thought about backup cameras? say you have back to back weddings and a camera gets broken or stolen at the first one?

Dave Baker July 20th, 2015 11:37 PM

Steve,

The DM-100 and HF G30 is not the best pairing if it is to be used outside. For reasons known only to Canon, the camera wind filter does not work when using the DM-100, though it does when plugging in any other external mike. The DM-100 has no wind filter as you know and the supplied wind muff is only so-so.

I speak from experience, the pairing cost me many hours work in post trying to rectify explosive sounds shot on a sea voyage a couple of years ago, even though I had a fur and foam Windcutter Stormchaser fitted.

Dave

Steve Burkett July 21st, 2015 12:14 AM

Hi Dave,

Its served me pretty well for my 5 yr old Canon Camera for the Guestcam, but then expectations are lower as its just a but of fun. Would I use it myself for a job, no, I have more professional equipment. In fact it was used only for my 1st year as I learned the ropes. Now my Canon camcorder has a mini hotshoe which at the time limited the options of attachments. However looking at the G30 again I see it has a more standard hotshoe, so yes something more effective can be paired with it. However at the price bracket that James is considering, some compromises are inevitable. Plus to be fair, most Weddings don't involve lengthy sea voyages. :)

Dave Baker July 21st, 2015 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Burkett (Post 1893086)
Plus to be fair, most Weddings don't involve lengthy sea voyages. :)

Good point, but then again, some weddings do happen at sea I understand!:-)

I got the DM-100 for a canon that only had a mini hotshoe and frankly, it seemed OK on that. I remember doing a Windcutter test while hanging out of the window of a Land Rover at 60kph and being impressed. Why the HF G30 doesn't like it, I don't know.

I just thought I would mention it and let's face it, we've had some quite high winds this wedding season.

Dave

Steve Burkett July 21st, 2015 02:33 AM

That explains why I haven't had quite the same issues as yourself. The G30 looks as if it has a standard hot shoe, and the DM100 has a mini hot shoe attachment, so not sure how you're fitting the 2. I guess if I had a standard hot shoe mount, I invest maybe in a rode shotgun.

Noa Put July 21st, 2015 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Bishop (Post 1893016)
Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone could recommend any good, idiot proof, great quality video cameras?

The problem I think you will run into is if the camera are used at candle lit venues and you end up with a whole evenings worth of totally underexposed uncorrectable footage and a client that will blame you for giving them a "bad" camera. If I would start something like this up I would only handle the editing aspect and let the client deal with the camera themself, if it then turns out underexposed they would never blame me for that but be happy I tried to make it look a bit better, even if it still looks like crap acc to our standards. There are enough people shooting with their smartphone which, once collected, could result in enough footage to make a summary of their day.

I often am asked if I can edit the honeymoon video from the couple that hired me when they pick up the dvd's, they shot hours of footage but don't like the edit aspect of it at all, I always decline because I don't want to wade through all that shaky, out of focus, 200 time zoom footage. I did however edit such a holiday video once years back and it can be fun though, especially when the groom shot his wife naked in the bathroom but forgot it was still on the camera he gave me. :D

Dave Baker July 21st, 2015 04:29 AM

Steve, the HF G30 has both a standard cold shoe and the Canon mini hot shoe, hidden under a cover at the rear.

Yes, I soon reverted to a Rode SVM once I'd found a way to stop the dead kitten fur getting into the frame at full wide.

While the DM-100 looked neat perched on top, it was a bit of a liability anyway as it mounts just a little too far back and hits the forehead when using the EVF. Also, I was stopped because of it while going through airport security last year, since they couldn't work out what it was while going through x-ray!

Dave

Steve Burkett July 21st, 2015 05:08 AM

I've had a look at shoot it yourself. It looks scaled back a bit from the last time I looked a few years back. They were riding high from Dragons Den, which it now seems they've broken away from the agreement they reached back then. They survive I think because they have the personality and style that can reach out to Brides. Frankly what they offer is over expensive, but people can overlook something like cost if the marketing pitches it as something of value.

Being female probably helps too, in social media, face to face and various Wedding sites. Obviously the edit will count more than the camera, turning random footage into something fun and engaging. Their choice of cameras seems spot on, though now discontinued. Sony mc50. Something similar I think would work for James.

Pete Cofrancesco July 21st, 2015 05:18 AM

Buy a bunch of GoPro cameras and have the main participants wear them.

Honestly I can't see this working and it be a nightmare trying to edit the worst footage imaginable. I've gotten a number of theater performance jobs from clients who had a student or novice film on the cheap. It usually ends in disaster and that's when they decide to hire a pro the next year. With weddings there is no next year.

Dan Burnap July 21st, 2015 05:30 AM

I thought about this market too but decided that giving the client cameras was a too risky and expensive plus as a previous poster said, if the footage all turns out to be crap then they will blame the camera and therefore you. Plus you are relying on the footage from just two cameras.

If I was to do it myself I would put some instructional video u on how to film the best way possible with your phone camera. The guests will already be comfortable filming with them, you'll have more footage to play with too.

Managing expectations would be key. The edit would depend on the quality of footage you got back and the client would know this. They should be prepared for a highlights montage of quick clips to music at worst case to something half-decent at best case.

George Kilroy July 21st, 2015 06:52 AM

Anyone thinking about this style of business might find this article interesting

How to film your own wedding day

A quick google brought up around a dozen people or companies already offering this type of service in UK on the first page alone.

As someone mentioned the Shoot It Yourself company have reigned back their prices from the over-ambitious charges they hope to achieve off the back of their Dragons Den investment from Hilary Devey which they have now walked away from. What might be encouraging is that she saw the huge potential to grow the business from the 250 weddings a year that SIY claimed to be doing to 1500 a year within three years! But remember that was with a £60,000 investment.

Steve Burkett July 21st, 2015 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Kilroy (Post 1893113)
What might be encouraging is that she saw the huge potential to grow the business from the 250 weddings a year that SIY claimed to be doing to 1500 a year within three years! But remember that was with a £60,000 investment.

Yes but the other 3 didn't see such potential and her support might have come from the fact she liked the video shown. Of course she wants 1500 a year; you invest in a company you expect more than 200 odd Weddings a year to get a decent return. The fact that Shoot It Yourself was a small company and that the demands of shooting 1500 Weddings would cause issues was obviously something she didn't take into account, as bore out by the fact that Shoot It Yourself parted ways. People like that think big, but it doesn't mean they're right. At the time I recall thinking that such a partnership couldn't last. The Wedding Video industry just isn't big enough to allow one company to corner 1500 Weddings a year. I recall they also had a corporate side to their business, but didn't see any evidence of that.

I run a Guestcam service, which I started on the back of that, but nothing I've got from it shows there's a huge demand for that type of video.

George Kilroy July 21st, 2015 08:02 AM

Steve, what would be interesting would be to know if their projection to 1500 weddings was based on research or hope.

I can see that a large player like Hilary Devey could afford to get the sort of country-wide reach and views that others might find difficult to get but she may also have been seduced by the wedding videographers' dream of believing that every wedding really needs and wants a video. But seriously I believe that her vision was larger than just weddings and would have taken the two founders of the business into a much different type and size of business than there were comfortable with and like a lot of fast grown businesses either become big enough for a buy-out (is there a big enough player in this market to be interested), or stretch to busting point.

As mentioned a few posts back I looked at this sort of style around the time that this was news a few years ago but realised that it would only ever be a bolt-on to my main wedding video service and the risks such as you've mentioned didn't make it attractive enough for me.

Peter Rush July 21st, 2015 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco (Post 1893106)
Buy a bunch of GoPro cameras and have the main participants wear them.

Honestly I can't see this working and it be a nightmare trying to edit the worst footage imaginable. I've gotten a number of theater performance jobs from clients who had a student or novice film on the cheap. It usually ends in disaster and that's when they decide to hire a pro the next year. With weddings there is no next year.

I would imagine also any small handycam type camera would struggle to return decent footage from a dimly lit evening reception.

Chris Harding July 21st, 2015 07:16 PM

At a wedding in May, I gave the best man my action cam to "play with" ...apart from having no idea at all about lighting they have no idea about filming basics either. It was crazy footage to say the least ..he even managed to get out of focus footage too!!! Not bad from a fixed focus camera!!

I don't think I would like to have to edit footage from guest cams at all ..I think it would be a nightmare!!

I guess the only decent guest cam would be something with good autofocus .. in fact auto everything and absolutely no controls on it apart from a start button and stop button but how to get something like that (a BIG GoPro???) that will work in the dim confines of a wedding reception is a BIG ask. I did an edit from a bunch of footage from a bride where they used a couple of handicams and it was shocking (it was a favour) I certainly don't envy anyone who hires out cameras and tries to make footage taken by guests (usually drunk) and make it into something that resembles a wedding video.

If you are going to do it then probably the best camera is the simplest mini camcorder you can find that the average man in the street would buy to film the kids at home. Even with some "training" would they really remember all you have taught them??

George Kilroy July 22nd, 2015 03:35 AM

Despite the reservations here there does seem to be a market where technical quality is almost irrelevant to the customer- content is king.

Understandably as professionals the aim is to achieve well expose, well composed and shake free focused footage but looking at the videos posted on the DIY sites it's obvious that those things don't seem to bother some people who rave about their video, much of which would have been rejected by most here.

For those of us steeped and experienced in the traditional grammar of film making a look at the videos posted on youtube and facebook proves that there is a whole wave of people who have torn up the rule books and are making and watching video with completely different attitudes. The way we 'read' film has been changing for decades. In the 50/60s when lighter portable cameras allowed films to be made away from studios they took on a new look, in the 70/80s when video all but ousted film as the media of choice again the look changed and in the 90/00s digital made the previous editing methods look clunky and dated. This decade has taken the current technology into another space; a significant part of the up and coming generation make and view video in a way many of us traditionalists don't really understand. What is important is content and immediacy, A generation with the attention span of a fruit fly, or maybe it's the sharp visual reaction of a hawk, view videos as moments in time. They are so use to having many aspects of life captured and viewed that for them a wedding video is not a thing to become a treasured family asset but another way to have fun and impress friends.

Many of us here dismiss these videos as gimmicks with little value and not the sort of work we'd want associated with our name and reputation, but it is undeniable that the market does exists and whatever amount of growth there may be in it, there will always be a niche to be caved out for someone who recognises that and approaches it with the right attitude.

Steve Burkett July 22nd, 2015 04:03 AM

Content is king - but what is that content? Companies like Shoot It Yourself tap into a market for videos that are more about fun than about technical quality. Does this appeal to everyone, no. If technical quality wasn't important, then Uncle Bob with his camcorder would be filming the Wedding, and I wouldn't get a look in.

There's plenty of rubbish photos too on the internet; the products of random shots taken on night outs, holidays, parties etc. The fact that technically they are rubbish is unimportant - they're not expected or seen as examples of good photography. They're snapshots. Some video will be seen in the same way. My brother takes some video with his camera. Its a record of a moment, nothing more. Technical quality is immaterial - would he watch a 2 hour movie shot that way, no. The fact that he complained on a recent cinema visit that the screen was pitiful and from the back where we were seated, worst than watching a bluray on my 4K TV, shows that presentation does count in the right context. That was Jurassic World btw, and all I can say is I can't wait for the bluray either. Terrible cinema.

Of course, offering such a DIY service for video is possible and I don't agree with some that a lack of skill from those filming is an excuse not to offer this service. I run a Guestcam service myself. Its a video that has its place and companies like Shoot It Yourself have built a solid business from it.

However as much as content is king, 30 minutes of shaky footage and poor audio of the Ceremony isn't always going to go down well. The video will have to be tailored to play to the DIY strengths and not simply an attempt to create a well crafted Wedding Video using crap footage. Its in that edit where Shoot It Yourself succeeds, but its also a style that whilst appealing to some, will be a turn off for others.

George Kilroy July 22nd, 2015 04:04 AM

Steve, I was saying exactly that, that there is a market but like all markets it's not for everyone in the same way the well crafted work that professionals do is not for everyone, otherwise almost every wedding would have a professional.
If there is a service offered in the right way and costed correctly there will be people who'll go for it, the sort of people who'd never have gone for a professional anyway, so I don't see it taking work away or undermining professionals. In someways it may cause some people who were tempted by a DIY to go to a professional when they see the footage they could end up with.
These two approaches will both work alongside each other, neither is going to knock the other one out.

We should also not be too quick to dismiss the abilities of guests to shoot video just because they do not do it for a living, some of the DIY one's I've seen are quite good (in parts).

As an aside. I recently filmed a stage performance for a friend, she had been asked to sing at an outdoor concert. The concert wasn't being officially recorded and I was allowed by the organiser to shoot from a reasonably good position. I had gone along just as a member of the audience so only had a GH4 with me but took a close enough position to shoot wide hand-held. The result to my surprise was very steady and a run through Mercalli smoothed it nicely.

The point of this, and linking back to what I've said above. I sent two good clips to both the singer and the event organiser to use as they wished. When I looked on their facebook and websites there were a half a dozen videos of the same songs shot from various places around the outdoor venue that were to my mind terrible both picture and sound. It was outdoors at night with the performers lit by stage lighting, in all the other videos the performers were way over exposed, tiny figures in the distance with the extraneous chatter and traffic noise making the stage audio almost incidental. They added nothing to the clips I sent, other than giving a context to the setting of the concert, yet they both thought them worthy of putting online, presumable just because they exist and those who may think my work is static and lacks atmosphere will have the other ones to enjoy.

Steve Burkett July 22nd, 2015 05:54 AM

Like all of us, I have a favourite band I follow. Often I've seen clips online of their music performed live, shot on phones with crappy audio, over exposed, singers as stick insects. I accept it because tha's the only way to see it. However if I bought a bluray of one of their live shows, I'd be very disappointed if I had to watch something like that. What you tolerate in a 3-4 minute online video is quite different from what you'd tolerate from something broadcast. How many online videos have poor audio or bad lighting, without a single complaint; yet BBC programmes like Jamaica Inn and Wolf Hall received complaints regarding those very issues.

I'm not using it as an argument as to why you shouldn't offer this service. However it is a case for why you need to consider how you market it, how you edit the material and dealing with peoples narrow view that what separates them from the professionals is simply good equipment - the sort that look at your videos and say "oh you must have a good camera". Crap video watched on a phone or tablet or PC via the internet will be better accepted than something they watch on their 40" TV. It's managing their expectations that I think is the real work of this service.

Noa Put July 22nd, 2015 07:18 AM

Why not offer to edit honeymoon films, I get that question asked quite a lot, most couples have no experience or time to edit this.

James Bishop July 22nd, 2015 08:03 AM

Wow, pleased to have started a bit of a debate!

Definitely, it is about managing expectations, i agree. I will do a couple of videos for next to nothing, and have these videos prominent on the website when we launch so people can see what to expect. And i will make it clear, that to have any kind of half decent video relies on them having friend(s) who they think will a) put the effort in on the day and b) have some kind of track record (perhaps they've seen a video that they put on Facebook or something…).

Like I say, i'm not looking to create a big company. I'm going to charge less than than siy (at least to start with), so hopefully there will be a market out there for us! And I have one idea that will differentiate us from siy.

I did look at the cameras that they use - the MC50's. Does anyone know if there is a replacement for this model?

Or how about a couple of Canon G25's, with DM-100's as suggested?

Chris Harding July 22nd, 2015 06:39 PM

That's a good idea Noa ... Philip Howells who used to contribute a lot here used to offer that as part of his package. Give the couple a camcorder to take on honeymoon and then edit what they film. However I must admit I have never had anyone ask me about that service. Again the camera is the issue but at least it's going to the couple only and not a drunk best man! Venue would also be a lot nicer! A bunch of clips in Fiji will come out a lot better than footage in a dim wedding venue at night!

James Bishop July 23rd, 2015 04:31 AM

Yeh it's not something i've ever been asked about. I imagine it would mostly just be video of the couple lying on a beach/by a pool... Not sure it would be easy making an interesting film out of it! Though i guess some have slightly more adventurous honeymoons

Noa Put July 23rd, 2015 08:32 AM

Quote:

Not sure it would be easy making an interesting film out of it!
And you think when a camera comes back from a wedding that would be easy? :) I rather do holiday movies, the last couple I shot a wedding for asked me for advice for a small and easy camera and also asked if I could edit, they wanted something with a big zoom :) as they where planning to visit British Columbia and probably wanted to shoot wildlife. That should be pretty straightforward to edit and probably all shot in good light.

Chris Harding July 23rd, 2015 09:44 PM

Yeah Noa me too!

The couple are most likely going to choose nice weather and very scenic spots on their honeymoon so it would be a lot easier to edit than a camera that was shot in near dark at a wedding reception.

I can imagine what sort of footage one might expect from a DIY wedding camera ..not for the faint hearted

Kyle Root September 3rd, 2015 07:59 AM

The Sony NX100 is $1,699

While it's not 4K, it does have a much better form factor (user friendly) imo, compared to the AX100/CX900/X70.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1156385-REG/sony_hxr_nx100.html

Noa Put September 3rd, 2015 08:05 AM

Where did that model come from? Never heard of the nx100 and have to say it looks a very interesting camera at only 1700 dollar? Specification wise this camera ticks a lot of boxes.