Guests smiling for the camera - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 27th, 2015, 05:41 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Guests smiling for the camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
Steve, I believe you were thinking of a RX10, and I have to say that after using the FZ1000 yesterday for the first time at a wedding it was a doddle to get those quick shots and I am sure the Sony would be equally as convenient as a fast action tool.
Roger, if Panasonic did a 12-100 2.8 lens, I'd get that rather than the RX10. I have a 14-140 f4-5.6, which I'm considering employing instead to save cash and buy some export gh4s with no clip limit. However it's only from the Brides arrival outside to the church interior where a change of lens is inconvenient. Going from a 12-35 to 35-100. It's not a major issue, just a bit of stress. Mostly I'm thinking the rx10 as a travel cam. I'd have to see how good the autofocus is in 4k for the rx10, to see if it truely compensates for the GH4s glaring problems in that area and thereby making it essential Wedding purchase. Mostly I manual focus, getting pretty good from all the practise I'm getting. :)

Whether I have the rx10 or not, come Reception though, apart from the initial wide covering all bases shots, I prefer the primes even outdoors for variety. 75mm at low aperture makes for a lovely portrait shot of the couple and the guests.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 06:36 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I haven't had a problem with it, perhaps because my a6000 had a small video light on top, with a fill glow (or more) of light on it. I also usually have the camera mounted on a tripod.
I'm guessing they see the light and just know it's a video.
Attached Thumbnails
Guests smiling for the camera-a6kwithlight.png  

Last edited by Mervyn Jack; July 27th, 2015 at 07:37 AM. Reason: added picture
Mervyn Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 07:10 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Steve, as long as you are happy and comfortable with what you've got that is all that matters, and of course the client gets what they expect from you.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 08:38 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
Steve, as long as you are happy and comfortable with what you've got that is all that matters, and of course the client gets what they expect from you.
Comfortable, yes. Happy - nah. Add another GH4, an RX10 ii maybe, and a larger camera like the new DVX200 (though bothered by lack of constant aperture and decent wide angle) for Corporate and Video Booth, then maybe I'll feel happy, or happier.

Mervyn, how do you handle guests noticing the light and realise they're being filmed. I use a rotolight and in some cases have to turn it off as I see guests reacting to it.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 09:24 AM   #20
Inner Circle

The reason got the A7s and ditched my EA50 (keeping it for corporate jobs) is that I hated using a video light. I found it annoyed a lot of guests (usually putting their hand up as If it was burning their retinas even though I always had it pretty low) and of course they knew they were being filmed so acted accordingly, and I prefer a more natural shot where they have no idea they are being filmed.

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2015, 06:34 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post
Mervyn, how do you handle guests noticing the light and realise they're being filmed. I use a rotolight and in some cases have to turn it off as I see guests reacting to it.
Steve, first of all I'd rather not use a light, but it looks so much better with a little fill, the light has a fader, so I keep it very low. My screenshot seems to indicate the light was fairly bright, but it wasn't.

I get all sorts of reactions, from hiding but nowhere to go, to acting up for the camera, if they try to pose, yes it does happen, I just smile and tell them its for the wedding video and please carry on with what you're doing. Seems to work OK.
Mervyn Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2015, 07:12 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervyn Jack View Post
I just smile and tell them its for the wedding video and please carry on with what you're doing. Seems to work OK.
Mervyn, you must have a magic smile. I find that asking someone to carry on and act naturally just throws many people into a self-conscious spin.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2015, 07:16 AM   #23
Inner Circle

It always cracks me up when I"m shooting guests in the venue from a distance with my 75mm on the gh4 and it happens some still do notice me pointing the camera into their direction, some start to make funny face and behave silly but I just keep looking through my viewfinder without reacting, as if I"m actually am shooting something else, which could be possible from that distance, and I notice how they slowly become uncomfortable when they see I don't react realizing I might have my camera pointed to a person behind them and then they give up and start talking to eachother again and that last part I use in the edit :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2015, 08:16 AM   #24
Inner Circle

That always amuses me as well Noa when they think they are being really funny, get no reaction from you and then start to fidget and pretend they were scratching their nose or something similar.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2015, 12:04 PM   #25
Trustee

I just roll with it, if guests are posing. However, when they are into the video, I be all like...

http://rnbweddings.com/wp-content/up...le-gun-gif.gif
Robert Benda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques