DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Who is just doing a hightlight film and giving away raw footage? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/529488-who-just-doing-hightlight-film-giving-away-raw-footage.html)

Danny O'Neill August 28th, 2015 05:13 AM

Re: Who is just doing a hightlight film and giving away raw footage?

Raw footage is just that. Footage straight from cards. Copy to a USB stick and done. Occasionally they may ask for it to be converted into iPhone friendly format so I just run it through Handbrake.

No one asks for it but we offer it as an addon so that's why people often go for it.

Our products range from 8-20 minutes depending on package. All packages come with an edited copy of the speeches and ceremony in full. So even when they get that they still want the raw footage.

Steve Burkett August 31st, 2015 01:03 AM

Yesterday's Bride first approached another Videographer at a Wedding she attended. She was quite surprised to hear she would only get a 10 minute video. Her opinion, understandable was that you pay all that money and only get 10 minutes!!! Of course the Videographer argued that in the age of the Internet, shorter is better, but the Bride wanted a video she could show her kids in the future and get a more complete picture of the Wedding. Thankfully she was quite determined in this and looked elsewhere, but I wonder if any Couples go with this and later regret their choice.

Now I've met a Videographer who does something similar. Again, no extras like uncut Speeches and Ceremony. Just the highlights. She was the 2nd shooter for the Photographer, so obviously not getting enough work filming. However it was clear her kit was very minimal, a camera, couple of lenses, a tripod, stabiliser and zoom recorder. She noted with interest my lapel mic and pocket recorder as her next purchase. So it seems this is a style of video for those Videographers with not the greatest of kit or experience, looking to earn a bit of money doing stylish Wedding videos. Must make for an easier day, just grabbing enough to fill 10 minutes. However unless you offer longer videos, even as raw footage, I just can't see how 10 minutes can be seen to be worth x amount of money.

Chris Harding August 31st, 2015 01:17 AM

All my brides expect me to film the whole day ..up the agreed points anyway, so I can see the issue if they only get a 10 minute video out of the entire day! I can honestly see the value for money aspect of just supplying a 10 minute video and raw footage ... If I was the bride and being charged $XXXX for just one short video I would be pissed too!! It's simply I'm paying for the whole day so I want the whole day..If I only watch it once that's my problem. Yes I would appreciate a short high light to show my friends who don't want to sit thru 2 hours of wedding (they probably came anyway so they know what happened)

Supplying a short clip of high lights and raw footage is almost an IKEA solution and to me it suggests to the bride "I'm lazy so you will only get a short clip and the rest is up to you"

If they employ you for 10 hours their end product should cover all the events of that period in watchable format ...even just a basic edit ..and then offer high lights and trailers etc etc. It's almost like buying a new home and the builder says "It's liveable and I put the doors on the house but all the rest is in the garage so it's up to you to finish it and paint it"

Roger Gunkel August 31st, 2015 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Burkett (Post 1896592)
Yesterday's Bride first approached another Videographer at a Wedding she attended. She was quite surprised to hear she would only get a 10 minute video. Her opinion, understandable was that you pay all that money and only get 10 minutes!!! Of course the Videographer argued that in the age of the Internet, shorter is better, but the Bride wanted a video she could show her kids in the future and get a more complete picture of the Wedding. Thankfully she was quite determined in this and looked elsewhere, but I wonder if any Couples go with this and later regret their choice.

The biggest wedding show of the year that I exhibit at had a lot of photographers also offering video. Every one was a very short video and I got the impression that they are just using their existing equipment with a second shooter like your example, to add on video for extra income from the day.

What was interesting was that we took several bookings from that wedding show, with all the Bride's saying that they thought all wedding videos were short as that was whet everyone else was offering and they just didn't think it was worth the money. I always point out that we are happy to do an additional highlights video if they would like one.

Before anyone comments that Chris and I offering joint photo packages is no different to photographers offering video, the difference is that we both offer a full length video with a full photo package, whereas my experience seems to be that most add on video packages are short highlights only. A highlights only package is a totally different product to full length and I am sure there is a market for both, but with short cinematic being very fashionable, many brides don't realize there is an alternative choice.

Roger

Steve Burkett August 31st, 2015 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel (Post 1896625)
The biggest wedding show of the year that I exhibit at had a lot of photographers also offering video.

I suppose Photographers have every right to offer video as we offer Photos; it swings both ways. The Photographer has an advantage in that they are usually the 1st port of call, so are free to spread horror stories as I know some do of troublesome and intrusive Video guys to help sell their product and give them 100% of the days limelight. That said, I feel most never truly embrace video from a story telling point of view, feeling a sequence of well captured and stylish footage is all it takes. Now I'm not knocking the Cinematic edit, in fact I can see this is where my Business is headed, but having spent years doing documentary, I find its style will hold with me and I'll continue to offer a much longer video to give couples more a feel of the entire day.

Although the Videographer I quoted above used the term Cinematic to describe his 10 minutes masterpiece, I feel its more a Cinematic Highlights Video than a full Cinematic video, which for an entire Wedding Day should be at least 20 minutes, okay 15 at a push. 10 minutes is fine for the internet but not for prosperity. I've captured some lovely and beautiful moments in my time and most do not feel the need to confine their moment to fit the schedule of a 10 minute highlights video.

I certainly offer such a video as an addition, as a marketing tool and as a video to post on Facebook, but its the equivalent of the voulevant; fine as a snack, but no substitute for the main course.