Audio starter kit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 27th, 2015, 06:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio starter kit

A huge subject I know, but having done a few family and friends events I feel my audio skills and equipment are basic at the very least.

Cameras being used, AX100, AX33 and RX10 II. I have no additional microphones for any of these.

For Audio I have been using a Zoom H1 with a Lav to record speeches, or using it on a mini tripod stand. I have used the on board camera audio at a push but the quality isn't great.

It worries me relying on the Zoom 100% so would like some advice on how I should progress to get backup audio and good quality recordings from the Camera.

At this point budget needs to be below £500. Main uses will be weddings, family events etc.

Any advice appreciated
Phil Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2015, 06:56 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Audio starter kit

I got one of these for my AX100 and it really works great. You can find them really cheap second hand. Gives you two channels of XLR and phantom power if you need it. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-US

Sennheiser and Sony wireless kits have served me well in live event situations. Either placed directly on the speakers, or hooked up to a sound system and beaming back to the camera. I'm sure you could find a couple used Senny G2 systems for close to your budget.

Speeches are always off as the systems aren't always accessible and people don't want to pass around two mics. I saw somewhere else on this forum that someone was placing a small audio recorder within a neoprene sleeve on the microphone being used for speeches. Pretty neat idea.

Also, not sure how all the taxes and duties work, or the legal frequencies for that matter, but I'll be selling a couple Sennheiser G3 wireless systems shortly for around $450 USD each.
Old August 27th, 2015, 07:37 AM   #3
Major Player

Phil. This is worth checking out BOYA BY-WM5 60m- 80m 2.4GHZ GFSK Portable Wireless 360: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics Amazing quality sound, for the price. You can get it for about £46 if you buy abroad. I purchased one on the reccomendation of a guy on the forum. Sound quality astounded me
Old August 27th, 2015, 08:25 AM   #4
Trustee

If we're talking about weddings, on-camera shotgun mics and 2 or 3 pocket recorders will do wonders.

For on camera: Rode makes lovely mics for not a whole lot of money in the scheme of things. You don't mention budget, but Polaroid has a cheap option. It was our first mic and now makes an adequate backup to the more professional Rodes.

For the talent: they've already started giving you wireless recommendations... for pocket recorders, the Olympus DM620 (or similar model) is small and light, and fine quality. The microphone itself isn't too big a deal, just don't go too cheap. The cheap it is, the more likely that connections or wires will go bad.

For weddings, I do shotgun mics on camera, wireless on the pastor, and pocket recorder(s) on the groom and at the podium for the readings.

My wireless goes to the back of the church into my Tascam DR40, then into my camera. A shotgun mic on camera also goes into the Tascam.

This means everything is pretty backed up. The groom's pocket recorder helps cover the pastor. The wireless goes into the tascam, which won't have any breaks in it, and then into the camera to help with sync.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2015, 01:24 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Stanley View Post
Cameras being used, AX100, AX33 and RX10 II.
Can I ask how your ax33 fits into the ax100 and rx10II image? I have read it is not as good as the ax100 but is it that much worse?

For audio I use a tascam dr40 whenever I can connect to a mixer when a live band is playing in the church or to connect to the DJ board, I have one xlr cable and a cinch and jack adapter which covers all connections I need. Then I have a yamaha c24 (discontinued) with a lav for the groom and I use a sony icd pocketrecorder with lav if needed for the lectern or altar, the zoom h1 can be used for that as well or just to position in front of a soundspeaker if I"m not able to reach it during a recording, the auto levels on the zoom are quite good. Then a tascam dr40 which I set manually for levels and can be used to place in front of a soundspeaker as well or for other purposes. I also have a tascam dr60 which I use for interviews because it can record internally and send directly to teh camera at the same time.

I always secure a backup for sound, usually that is in front of the soundspeaker because that I can monitor during recording and depending on available time I place all my recorders at every possible place where people speak from, I don't use a shotgun because I find it usesless during ceremonies. If I am not able to get a good soundsource I will tape my yamaha c24 to the microphone handle as last resort.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2015, 04:55 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Haustein View Post
I got one of these for my AX100 and it really works great. You can find them really cheap second hand. Gives you two channels of XLR and phantom power if you need it. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-US

Sennheiser and Sony wireless kits have served me well in live event situations. Either placed directly on the speakers, or hooked up to a sound system and beaming back to the camera. I'm sure you could find a couple used Senny G2 systems for close to your budget.

Speeches are always off as the systems aren't always accessible and people don't want to pass around two mics. I saw somewhere else on this forum that someone was placing a small audio recorder within a neoprene sleeve on the microphone being used for speeches. Pretty neat idea.

Also, not sure how all the taxes and duties work, or the legal frequencies for that matter, but I'll be selling a couple Sennheiser G3 wireless systems shortly for around $450 USD each.
Thanks Nate I will look into your suggestions
Old August 27th, 2015, 05:03 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Rowe View Post
Phil. This is worth checking out BOYA BY-WM5 60m- 80m 2.4GHZ GFSK Portable Wireless 360: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics Amazing quality sound, for the price. You can get it for about £46 if you buy abroad. I purchased one on the reccomendation of a guy on the forum. Sound quality astounded me
Colin

What are you using them for?
Old August 27th, 2015, 05:05 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Benda View Post
If we're talking about weddings, on-camera shotgun mics and 2 or 3 pocket recorders will do wonders.

For on camera: Rode makes lovely mics for not a whole lot of money in the scheme of things. You don't mention budget, but Polaroid has a cheap option. It was our first mic and now makes an adequate backup to the more professional Rodes.

For the talent: they've already started giving you wireless recommendations... for pocket recorders, the Olympus DM620 (or similar model) is small and light, and fine quality. The microphone itself isn't too big a deal, just don't go too cheap. The cheap it is, the more likely that connections or wires will go bad.

For weddings, I do shotgun mics on camera, wireless on the pastor, and pocket recorder(s) on the groom and at the podium for the readings.

My wireless goes to the back of the church into my Tascam DR40, then into my camera. A shotgun mic on camera also goes into the Tascam.

This means everything is pretty backed up. The groom's pocket recorder helps cover the pastor. The wireless goes into the tascam, which won't have any breaks in it, and then into the camera to help with sync.
Thanks you for explaining your set up Robert
Old August 27th, 2015, 05:13 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Can I ask how your ax33 fits into the ax100 and rx10II image? I have read it is not as good as the ax100 but is it that much worse?
Noa
I purchased the AX33 shortly after the AX100. The AX100 was purchased for ease of use as my wife is a user, the AX33 as a second static Cam.

Whilst we are very happy with the AX100, which is lovely to use, the AX33 I am disappointed with from a usability point of view (menu diving) but also the quality is in my opinion nowhere near the AX100 it looks really soft.

I dislike the AX33 so much I think I will relegate it to a spare. The AX100 and RX10 II picture quality are indistinguishable to my eyes. My wife prefers the AX100, I prefer the RX10 II

Thanks for your Audio feedback
Old August 28th, 2015, 12:55 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Quote:
Noa
I purchased the AX33 shortly after the AX100. The AX100 was purchased for ease of use as my wife is a user, the AX33 as a second static Cam.

Whilst we are very happy with the AX100, which is lovely to use, the AX33 I am disappointed with from a usability point of view (menu diving) but also the quality is in my opinion nowhere near the AX100 it looks really soft.

I dislike the AX33 so much I think I will relegate it to a spare. The AX100 and RX10 II picture quality are indistinguishable to my eyes. My wife prefers the AX100, I prefer the RX10 II
Noa, I think you may have read my comparison of the AX33 versus the AX100. I see that Phil confirms my opinion. The AX100 may cost twice as much as the AX33 but from a usability & quality point of view it it's well worth it. I sent the AX33 back for a refund. The 4K video out of the RX10M2 looks identical to that out of the AX100. My wife prefers the AX100 too. She likes a proper video camera for video & uses a Nikon D800 for stills. I love the RX10M2 for both stills & video.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2015, 03:11 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Colin

H Phil,
Just picked up on this thread, it was me that recommended the Boya to Colin. I bought one initially because it was so cheap and the reviews were good, plus it was 2.4 Ghz and I was rarely using my radio mic because of frequency clashes.

I tried it out as a backup on a school production shoot, where there were a lot of radio mics and was impressed the the very low noise level and the sound quality and I picked up no interference at all. After a few more 'safe' tests I used it on the groom at a wedding and was surprised at how good it sounded. I immediately ordered a second one, and regularly use them for weddings and stage productions, either directly to the camera or to a portable recorder. They have a headphone monitor out and an output volume control on the RX

They also have a useful tailback facility, where you can communicate with the talent if they plug an earpiece into the TX. I have now made up some leads and plugs so that I can use a number of different mics with the TXs rather than just the included lavs. If the TX is being used in someone's pocket I usually limit it to about 10mtrs range and for other uses where a bit more range may be needed, I keep the TX and RX in line of sight.

A pro Senheiser system will give you a greater range at a massively increased price, but at the price you can get a Boya for, it is worth purchasing one and you may well find it serves you well. You can always eBay it if you don't like it.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2015, 04:13 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Rowe View Post
That's a ridiculously low price, I pay more for a good lavalier mike only. :)

Also Phil and Nigel, thx for the feedback on the ax33, I know it's off topic so won't be asking more questions about it.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2015, 04:52 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
H Phil,
Just picked up on this thread, it was me that recommended the Boya to Colin. I bought one initially because it was so cheap and the reviews were good, plus it was 2.4 Ghz and I was rarely using my radio mic because of frequency clashes.

I tried it out as a backup on a school production shoot, where there were a lot of radio mics and was impressed the the very low noise level and the sound quality and I picked up no interference at all. After a few more 'safe' tests I used it on the groom at a wedding and was surprised at how good it sounded. I immediately ordered a second one, and regularly use them for weddings and stage productions, either directly to the camera or to a portable recorder. They have a headphone monitor out and an output volume control on the RX

They also have a useful tailback facility, where you can communicate with the talent if they plug an earpiece into the TX. I have now made up some leads and plugs so that I can use a number of different mics with the TXs rather than just the included lavs. If the TX is being used in someone's pocket I usually limit it to about 10mtrs range and for other uses where a bit more range may be needed, I keep the TX and RX in line of sight.

A pro Senheiser system will give you a greater range at a massively increased price, but at the price you can get a Boya for, it is worth purchasing one and you may well find it serves you well. You can always eBay it if you don't like it.

Roger
Thanks Roger, at that price bit of a no brainer
Old August 28th, 2015, 05:43 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Colin

Hi Phil. I retired from wedding work earlier this year, 33 years was long enough for me. I sold most of my gear, including Zooms and Sennheiser wireless sets to purchase the right equipment for my current venture, I have however 3 family weddings to shoot this year.
When Roger started a thread on the Boya system, at the price, I thought why not. Amazing performance for the price, and more than up to the job
Old August 28th, 2015, 05:45 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
That's a ridiculously low price, I pay more for a good lavalier mike only. :)
And so have I Noa. But these little boxes deliver, Unbelievable value, and the talkback feature is invaluable for my latest venture

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques