UDH Blu Ray Player is the future! - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 11th, 2015, 07:55 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: UDH Blu Ray Player is the future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Claflin View Post
This quote specifically makes me think their will be dedicated 4k discs, "New Ultra HD Blu-ray discs hold up to 66GB and 100GB of data on dual and triple layer discs respectively."
The BDXL discs are triple-layer 100GB. There's also a BDXL quad-layer 128GB but I've never seen any of these for purchase.

The 66GB dual layer is a clue though. If they have altered the densities than it's possible these new discs are different if they can hold an additional 13GB per layer. Remains to be seen.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 08:10 AM   #47
Regular Crew

The fact that it says, "New Ultra HD Blu-ray discs..." makes me think that there will be some specific design change in either how they are read/written or the makeup of the discs themselves. Only time will tell.
Matthias Claflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 12:51 PM   #48
Inner Circle

If we look at Gary's link, BDXL discs will only play on a BDXL machine.
Old September 11th, 2015, 02:43 PM   #49
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
If we look at Gary's link, BDXL discs will only play on a BDXL machine.
That' s correct. If it's just the BDXL format and not some tweaked variety that has higher densities in dual layer, then it should work with a 4K Blu-ray player, but not in anything current. I'm not aware of any set-top BD players that will accept BDXL discs of any kind.
Old September 11th, 2015, 02:50 PM   #50
Inner Circle

Gary, thanks for the links. Delighted to see 4k burner for $49! Discs are pricey, but who cares, it's not like any one will be using gobs of them for a long time.
Old September 12th, 2015, 01:12 AM   #51
Trustee

In 3-4 years time we will have 8K going main stream.

I'll make the jump from HD to 8K ... going to give 4K a miss.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 02:51 AM   #52
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
In 3-4 years time we will have 8K going main stream.

I'll make the jump from HD to 8K ... going to give 4K a miss.
I think it will be a lot longer than 3-4 years. People are still getting used to HD after a decade and most TV broadcast material comes in at way below HD quality. Not only have broadcasters got to decide if they are going to embrace 4K, they are unlikely to invest the millions required into that, then rip it all out to up grade to 8k shortly after. Streaming won't be an option, in the UK at least, as even full HD streaming is not yet available in much of the UK.

On the other hand, there are plenty of advantages to be had from filming in 4K as has been discussed in other threads. I have no plans to deliver in 4k anytime soon, but already have 2x 4k cameras and am enjoying some of the advantages.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 07:52 AM   #53
Inner Circle

I think 4K video will become the standard for what people watch on their phones and tablets.
Old September 13th, 2015, 01:18 AM   #54
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
I think it will be a lot longer than 3-4 years. People are still getting used to HD after a decade and most TV broadcast material comes in at way below HD quality. Not only have broadcasters got to decide if they are going to embrace 4K, they are unlikely to invest the millions required into that, then rip it all out to up grade to 8k shortly after. Streaming won't be an option, in the UK at least, as even full HD streaming is not yet available in much of the UK.

On the other hand, there are plenty of advantages to be had from filming in 4K as has been discussed in other threads. I have no plans to deliver in 4k anytime soon, but already have 2x 4k cameras and am enjoying some of the advantages.

Roger
Sorry what I meant was, i'll make the jump to 8K camcorders. You can definitely be sure camcorders with 8K recording abilities shall be introduced within the next 2 years.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 01:33 AM   #55
Inner Circle

I would even wait longer then that, I expect something even greater then 8K to come if you wait long enough. :)

I did not wait to jump on the 4K bandwagon and have been using it to my advantage the entire season, the cropping ability has become a feature I don't want to miss anymore. When 8k would become the standard in camera's I"m sure we still will be delivering in HD and 4k and using 8k to crop and reframe.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 03:11 AM   #56
Inner Circle

Hi Noa

......and sadly we will STILL get brides that will want DVD's for the grandparents!! It will be even more complex than ever but hopefully you and I might be retired in our rocking chairs on the front porch when 8K delivery becomes the norm and 4K is the "old low resolution format"

Most of the content we get on free broadcast TV is still SD!!! To get Full HD in Perth you have to not only have Pay TV but have to pay extra to get the HD channels!! We are still a long way from 4K!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 03:35 AM   #57
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Most of the content we get on free broadcast TV is still SD!!! To get Full HD in Perth you have to not only have Pay TV but have to pay extra to get the HD channels!!
That's a bummer Chris!

I don't know about Belgium but here, as you say, most broadcast TV is still SD, although we have a dozen or so free HD channels on the terrestrial system we use, there may be a few more on the free satellite system. The disappointing thing is we watch a lot of SDTV because often there's nothing we want to watch on the HD channels!

Dave
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 07:58 AM   #58
Trustee

Broadcast always sits far behind current technology; it doesn't seem that long ago that we still had analogue. Netflix offers a 4K option but many of the UKs Broadband struggles with HD. Looking ahead I can see people viewing even more content via tablets, phones and computers, with TV's becoming more like a large screen computer - in fact some are already in that direction. I'm sure 4K will play a part in that future; 8K, well unless TV's become 120", it's not an investment for the home. Cinema maybe, though they're almost as bad as broadcast in lagging behind.

I'd certainly welcome a day when SD and HD becomes HD and 4K, but I feel I shall be burning a fair few DVD's before then.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 09:36 AM   #59
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post
Cinema maybe, though they're almost as bad as broadcast in lagging behind. .
Although this may be true for theaters across the board, I would say IMAX has become fairly popular, at least where I am we have three theaters in my area that have either IMAX or an equivalent that is significantly larger/higher quality than typical screens. That being said, I understand shooting 4k, 6k or 8k, but delivering anything but HD, I believe is a ways off. Definitely a niche market. At a bridal show yesterday I kept hinting to brides that we offer Blu Rays and they didn't care. Almost all the brides said they wanted DVDs, and they didn't care about Blu Rays. Only one groom even understood the difference.

That being said, it was a smaller show, but for now, I'll just keep chugging along trying to sell the idea of HD delivery to my clients.
Matthias Claflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 09:53 AM   #60
Inner Circle

4K isn't as new as it seems, companies have been winding up for it. Our arthouse movie theatres here, The Esquire and Mariemont Theatre, as well as the mainstream Kenwood Theatre here in Cincinnati have all gone to 4K probably two years ago, it's been long enough I can't remember how long ago they did.

This discussion is interesting because it's like the SD to HD discussion years ago, quaint to look back on, will be humorous to read comments in retrospect in a few years.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques