UDH Blu Ray Player is the future! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 6th, 2015, 12:53 PM   #1
Major Player

UDH Blu Ray Player is the future!

I'm going to have to do a special on my website - book a 2016 wedding and get a free UHD Blu Ray Player! Haha.

Here's the world's first Ultra HD Blu-ray player
Old September 6th, 2015, 01:10 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: UDH Blu Ray Player is the future!

Not sure on price. I can't wait to start watching 4K Blu-ray's. Plus deliver 4K Blu-ray's.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2015, 02:06 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
I can't wait to start watching 4K Blu-ray's. Plus deliver 4K Blu-ray's.
I currently still have to convince my clients why a blu-ray is better then a dvd, eventhough my current package includes a blu-ray as standard when I ask my clients if they have a blu-ray player 9 out of 10 say no. A 4K blu-ray player will only be interesting for video geeks like us and for a handfull of clients that are into using the latest technology. I expect HD to still have a long life for client delivery.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2015, 02:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I currently still have to convince my clients why a blu-ray is better then a dvd, eventhough my current package includes a blu-ray as standard when I ask my clients if they have a blu-ray player 9 out of 10 say no. A 4K blu-ray player will only be interesting for video geeks like us and for a handfull of clients that are into using the latest technology. I expect HD to still have a long life for client delivery.
Right. I honestly don't think 4K will take off at all. Still plenty of people that can't tell the difference from standard definition to high definition.

It's funny how people in the wedding industry (those that push USB and digital downloads) have the perception that Blu-ray is a flop and physical media is dead.
Old September 6th, 2015, 04:35 PM   #5
Trustee

I don't think many can see the difference between SD and HD, its only 4 times greater resolution, but the difference between SD and 4k will be more apparent. I recall reading an article that suggested that HD was a failure due to its small increase in resolution. To have impact, you needed an increase inline with SD to 4k for the general public to take notice.

Whilst any changes won't happen overnight, though far quicker than HD I'd wager; SD can't last forever and future standards could become HD and 4k.

However I don't think 4k would just be for geeks. Sports fans often favour higher resolution and would welcome 4k. I know people who have a bluray who aren't geeks and no doubt 4k would find a way into their homes one day too. It's true bluray haven't enjoyed a success that DVD had, but then convincing the public to replace 1 disk with another just for a bit of extra resolution was always going to be a challenge.
Old September 6th, 2015, 06:05 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Grooms maybe yes, but brides really couldn't care less. As long as the video looks good and the colour is right that's fine. The other thing you need to think about is 4K will show up any facial defects 8X better than a SD DVD won't they and many younger brides need makeup to cover things like acne outbreaks ...a few spots on the chin covered by a layer of foundation looks good on a DVD but when I shoot in 4K and just watch on my 23" computer monitor the clarity is amazing (I'm not rich like Steve to afford a 4K TV!)

The comment about SD-HD from Steve is true ...sometimes good SD and HD are hard to tell apart! I have done surveys on a bridal forum and answers from brides range from "can't see any difference" to "What's HD" and the best of the answers were " it seems to be a bit clearer"

I wonder what will happen when they see that nasty pimple on their chin in glorious 4K ...maybe MUA's will have to start using theatre makeup???
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2015, 10:26 PM   #7
Trustee

It's true that technical requirements come more from the Groom than the Bride, though not always. However I see satisfying what the Groom wants from his Wedding Video to be important to. In some cases I have secured a Booking only by answering some of the questions the Groom had, and I've had 2 this year demanding HQ 4k files of the final videos delivered via external hard drive.

I wonder as 4K TV's become more common in peoples homes in the way HD TV's went, whether SD playback will be seen even by Brides as noticeably less detailed. I think if you compare SD and HD, most Brides won't see much difference, but compare SD and 4k side by side and they'd have to be blind not to see it. Whether they care or not.... but I think most would enjoy the looking through the window effect 4k can give. Better clarity in wide shots of people such as in a church, means that cute expression on a child's face in the congregation can be better appreciated. Sell it to her like this rather than go into geek mode and talk tech and I think there'd be interest.

As for the spots and pimples, well even with HD I run a skin smoother in post production for close ups. Having produced and watched 4k trailers in 4k, its amazing how most bridal make ups stand up to 4k. However since in many cases they have to stand up to photographs of even greater resolution, perhaps not so surprising.
Old September 7th, 2015, 12:26 AM   #8
Major Player

I've read somewhere on this forum, that by the end of this year Tayo Yuden (I hope I spelled it right) is going to terminate the production of optical discs.
So what are you guys talking about?
Jo Ouwejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2015, 01:21 AM   #9
Inner Circle

UDH players will be out for Christmas.
Old September 7th, 2015, 04:10 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I estimate one wedding in 20 want Blu-Ray - the rest of them think the HD video is just a 'better quality' DVD - they have no Idea! so for me, DVD will be around for many many years yet - 4K is not really a consideration for me unless I plan to buy new cameras.

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2015, 04:51 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Agreed Pete

I'm shooting 4K now and again but the BIG issue is that as amazing as the image is, you have to consider how many of your couples will own a 4K TV, never mind a 4K TV and a 4K player! Probably one in 30 of my brides actually know what a BD is never mind a 4K player. The 4K market will also depend on what is available in retail stores in the form of 4K movies ...until that market is common place brides are not going to buy a 4K TV (around $3000 here still) and also a 4K player JUST to watch their wedding once or twice.

I would love it if they did but it won't happen too soon. The only thing I have changed so far is apart from the mandatory DVD sets, brides appreciate the wedding on a USB so we add that now to the delivery ... the average computer monitor at home rarely exceeds the specs of HD. However I DID read a good article on why 4K rendered down to 1080 produces a better image all due to chroma sub sampling

Old September 7th, 2015, 07:08 AM   #12
Major Player

Interesting video Chris, it certainly backs up what Noa says. Thanks for that.

So now we've all got to buy 4k cameras so we can see 1080 correctly? Aaaaaargh!

Dave
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2015, 08:16 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Hi Dave

It opened my eyes too. Even if you look at 4K videos on You Tube that have been uploaded at 3840x2160 and watch it at normal 1080 it still looks a lot better than 1080 (my broadband splutters and buffers if I watch my 4K uploaded stuff online) so it usually defaults to 1080P anyway (even less now and again) but what he says is true ..it does look at LOT better!!

In fact maybe I'm kidding myself but even my renders down to MPEG2 720x576 seem to be sharper than 1080 down to 720x576

Sadly, my brides still insist on a DVD set even if it's just for the grand parents!! - but they also get a USB too!! I haven't been brave enough to supply any bride with a 4K wedding on USB but I might chance it sometime!!!
Old September 7th, 2015, 08:20 AM   #14
Trustee

The video makes a point I was already aware of that if you upload 4K videos to Youtube, when viewed at a lower resolution, which is no doubt true of everyone, the quality is better. So whilst 4K videos for 4K viewing is still not possible for most people, 4K video for excellent HD viewing can be fully appreciated now.
Old September 7th, 2015, 12:41 PM   #15
Major Player

My main dislike of Blu Ray delivery is that we have a limited range of software to produce said Blu Ray.

I don't have Adobe Encore, and I'm not going to buy a monthly subscription from Adobe when FCPX is arguably just as good as Premiere. Therefore, I'm left with Toast as my only viable software option, and I'm not making any menus with Toast that are going to be pleasing to the eye of brides and grooms.

That's why I've taken to USB delivery with Taky's TakyBox. I'd rather push files than recorded media on discs.
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques