Glidecam over my slider at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 17th, 2015, 03:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Glidecam over my slider

I had a wedding this past weekend and the couple had a strict timeline. There really wasn't time for eye candy shots with a slider. So for the first time I left my slider in my bag and tried to pull off some decent shots with my glidecam. Setting up my slider at times in the heat of things can be a real chore. I had a good time with my glidecam getting creative and trying to get decent shots. When I put the trailer together on Sunday I was pretty impressed with the shots I got. I have room to improve, but overall I was pretty satisfied with the shots. I think I may continue using more of my glidecam and leave the slider in its bag during the run and gun stuff. Sliders have their place don't get me wrong, but if you can get some nice shots and not have to worry about setting up,leveling your slider go for it. What do you guys feel about lugging your slider?
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 03:45 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Glidecam over my slider

My slider isn't too long and takes little time to balance. Usually I have it setup in a corner somewhere during the day, ready to bring out and grab some shots. Mind, you can achieve a lot with a Glidecam, but a slider still has its uses.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 03:59 PM   #3
Major Player

You can get great shots, I was talking about setting up at the church and then at the reception, and then during photo ops. I never thought about setting on up on a stand alone tridpos at the reception...hmmm I usually set one up on the floor during the first dance to get that nice glide against the dance floor with the couple in the distance.
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 01:06 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I have a slider but I don't use it at a wedding anymore, eventhough the footage you get with it looks very nice it has been too much of a hassle dragging it along, setting it up etc. I find it much more versatile just using my camera handheld, on a tripod and if needed take my blackbird off from it's kickstand when needed.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 09:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I prefer the Glidecam over anything. My only issue was balancing it, I hated to do it.

I have a Slider too, but it's such a pain because it's so long. Having to have it on a tripod and a light stand. Aggravating indeed! I barely use it. lol.
Old September 19th, 2015, 12:45 AM   #6
Trustee

I used my slider in yesterday's wedding and my gimbal too. When it comes do venue and table shots, I still think the slider has the edge. I prefer the gimbal for walk through and people shots. My slider is just the right length to be supported on 1 tripod. With a slow slide, I can get 7-9 seconds of panning, which is long enough for me.

Up until this year I was very lazy with the slider, telling myself I didn't have the time to use it. However I set myself a challenge of using it every Wedding this year and funnily enough I succeeded. Makes me wonder why I thought I didn't have the time before.
Old September 19th, 2015, 10:17 AM   #7
Trustee

The only time I'll use my slider, its stays on its tripod and has its own camera... until the ceremony when I need them all.

That said.. no, I don't really use it any more. Too often I don't have the luxury of time. I love slider shots for spacial transitions but, has become not worth the effort anymore when I can, like you, do something more mobile.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2015, 10:06 AM   #8
Trustee

Well I did experiment with using just the gimbal at today's Wedding but whilst I got some lovely shots, I find himself getting the dependable slider out again for general shots of the venue both inside and out. There's a quality there that can't be easily passed over.
Old September 25th, 2015, 05:54 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Its funny to me you say this because my slider is so easy to set up that I find the glidecam to be the hassle to set up haha.
Travis Heberling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2015, 07:00 AM   #10
New Boot

I shoot with konova slider, but now i want buy new Glidecam to shooting wedding - so please recomment for me, which glidecam is best ?
Thanks all.

Last edited by Dinh Hung; October 7th, 2015 at 08:33 AM.
Dinh Hung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2015, 07:47 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I have seen very good results from the glidecam hd2000/4000 and the blackbird can be considered as well, you also have the merlin but I read it's more difficult to balance, especially for beginners but all these require lots of practice to get smooth results, if you want faster results then get a stabilizer with a 3 axis gimbal like the nebula 4000 of a beholder and there are several others available.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2015, 08:31 AM   #12
New Boot

Thanks Noa, i will buy Glidecam hd4000 for my Canon 5dmark II

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques