XLR module for DSLR cams at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 18th, 2015, 04:18 AM   #1
Inner Circle

XLR module for DSLR cams

Hi all - what are you folks using for recording with XLR mics on your DSLRs? I'm looking for something that will give me phantom power and a true left/right separation but also something not too heavy for a hand held rig. I've looked at the Beachtek range (specifically the DXA-CONNECT) but I'm guessing there's more out there?

Regarding budget I don't really want to go over £300 - this is for my A7s and there's no way I'm parting with over £500 for the official Sony module.

The main reason for this is that while my Rode Videomic is OK for weddings, I've a few corporate jobs later in the year that are more demanding for audio, and I really want to sell my EA50 and just use my A7s. I don't want to hang on to the EA50 simply because It has better audio capabilities.

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 06:38 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: XLR module for DSLR cams

Have you looked into something like the http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1084690-REG/tascam_dr_60mkii_portable_recorder_for_dslr.html It has 2 XLR ports, can record to your camera's audio track or be a 4 channel recorder, or both. As I understand it can be synced with your camera's record button, so when you hit record on the camera, you don't have to also hit record on the recorder (if you are using it as a recorder). It fits your budget. Not sure if it is what you're looking for though.

Good luck!
Matthias Claflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 09:54 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I did look at the Tascam Matthias but a nearly 4" high it's a bit bulky - so far the Beachtek DXA-Connect is ticking the boxes unless I'm missing something else?
Old September 18th, 2015, 10:26 AM   #4
Tourist

Have just purchased the official Sony XLR mic for my A7's. Worth every penny. Now have complete control over audio levels and can even throw a wireless mic into the mix if I want to. It also pimps up the A7 so it looks more like a 'proper' camera to the punters!!!
Frank Prince-Iles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 10:49 AM   #5
Regular Crew

The Beachtek is 3.8" high and the Tascam I sent was 5.7" high I believe. The http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086798-REG/tascam_dr_70d_4_channel_audio_recording.html is 4.3" high and has 4 XLR inputs and 4 channels to record. Of course, I'm not trying to persuade you away from the beachtek, as I have had great experiences with Beachtek devices in the past. I just wanted to present an alternative in case you are interested.

The Tascam DR-70d seems to have some more features and options than the Beachtek. I personally don't know what the benefit to the Beachtek is over the Tascam other than the 0.5" difference in height. The Tascam claims to weight 17.8 ounces where as the Beachtek is 18 ounces (basically the same). The Tascam has 4 XLR inputs, the Beachtek has 2. The Tascam can record directly into your camera, like the Beachtek. It can do some minor mixing of all 4 channels, to fit on the left and right of your camera. It has phantom power, it has the ability to record the audio internally at higher bit rates than your camera while also recording in camera, it is about £50 cheaper, if I'm not mistaken.

The DR-70d seems to be the better deal, in my opinion, however that is for you to decide. I'd assume the Beachtek has better pre-amps (since it is more expensive) but I don't know that for sure, and it won't matter much since it is being recorded into the camera at fairly highly compressed codec. Anyway, good luck with your decision. I hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Prince-Iles View Post
Have just purchased the official Sony XLR mic for my A7's. Worth every penny. Now have complete control over audio levels and can even throw a wireless mic into the mix if I want to. It also pimps up the A7 so it looks more like a 'proper' camera to the punters!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Prince-Iles View Post
Regarding budget I don't really want to go over £300 - this is for my A7s and there's no way I'm parting with over £500 for the official Sony module.
Old September 18th, 2015, 10:55 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Matthias the DR-70D looks interesting - reading up on it now
Old September 18th, 2015, 11:03 AM   #7
Major Player

Value for money. Have you thought of the iRig pre hack. I have heard it gives great results.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 11:10 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Interesting Donald but I need 2 channel recording with XLR mics - not sure my soldering is up to much as well ;)
Old September 18th, 2015, 11:18 AM   #9
Regular Crew

It totally comes down to what you are most comfortable using. I think the DR-70 would take a couple minutes to figure out, especially if you aren't familiar with external recorders, whereas the Beachtek is definitely going to be a plug and play style device. Hook it up, and just go, if you know what I mean. Anyway, good luck with your decision, I don't think I have any other advice on the subject as of now. I'd love to know what you decide and how you like it when you get it!
Old September 18th, 2015, 07:19 PM   #10
Trustee

The Zoom H6 should also be looked at.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 08:00 PM   #11
Trustee

For something that meets your basic requirements check out the JuicedLink preamps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
Hi all - what are you folks using for recording with XLR mics on your DSLRs? I'm looking for something that will give me phantom power and a true left/right separation but also something not too heavy for a hand held rig.
They have very good signal to noise and if budget is any consideration there are some well under your price floor on eBay. The link is to the CX211:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/members/...-controls.html

For size comparison, here is one on an FDR-AX100 with a Røde mic (not using the pre though):
Attached Thumbnails
XLR module for DSLR cams-img_1772.jpg  
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 08:22 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Hi Pete

For me the Connect seems to be the best value for money and I like the fact that it sits above the camera so you can see the level controls instead of having to squint between the camera body and tripod plate .. then again it will raise the centre of gravity a bit!! At the moment I have a DIY passive one but at AUS$199 the Connect would be my choice! The SLR Ultra has more features but is a lot pricier and also sits under the camera as do the others. If you are using the Rode Videomic do you really need XLR inputs .. I just swopped the XLR plugs on my transmitters for 3.5mm jacks as they are mono anyway. You really only need Phantom XLR inputs if the mics need power surely??
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques