DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   A good walk around prime for evening receptions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/529877-good-walk-around-prime-evening-receptions.html)

Peter Rush September 28th, 2015 09:31 AM

A good walk around prime for evening receptions

With the death of my Tamron 24-70 f2.8 that I only really use for dim evening receptions I wondered about maybe switching to a fast prime for general evening/people shots and wondered what is a popular lens to go for - I've looked at Canon 85 and 100mm but no IS - this is a must but all the primes in this range I've looked at have no stabilisation so what's out there?

There's the Canon 100mm L lens but is pricey and f2.8 - I want something a little faster.

There's a Zeiss 85mm f1.8 but I'm underwhelmed with Zeiss lenses as the manual focusing is pretty crap - especially considering a price tag of £1,000 TBH I'm quite gobsmacked at the price of Zeiss lenses when using manual focus turns out to be a hit an miss affair!

Preferable EF or E mount (full frame) and a short telephoto as I don't want to get in people's faces.

One option is that I hold on until I get the A7sII and then hopefully I can get any prime and it will be stabilised via the 5 axis sensor!

Pete

Nigel Barker September 28th, 2015 10:14 AM

Re: A good walk around prime for evening receptions

The Canon 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro lens is stabilised & a lovely lens. Not that pricey but not built like a traditional 'L' lens either as it's light & plasticky. The Canon EF 135mm f2 L USM Lens is slightly more expensive but has an extra stop.

The lens that I always used for 'sniping' images of guests at the reception was the wonderful 70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM which has the nicest image of any Canon lens is stabilised & allows you to stand well back with getting in anyone's face & has a beautiful image & bokeh.

Peter Rush September 28th, 2015 10:20 AM

I have that very lens Nigel but it's a beast and very heavy - I'm trying to avoid using a monopod if possible but I would with that lens. I'll look into that 100mm but Ideally I'd like something faster. I seemed to have more than my fair share of tealight lit evening receptions this season.

Robert Benda September 28th, 2015 12:45 PM

I use 3 lenses, usually... my Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 Macro is nice for detail work and for when the reception isn't too dark. Or, for the dark, or my other cameras, I have a Canon 35mm f/2 and 85mm f/1.8.

Matthias Claflin September 28th, 2015 01:19 PM

I would normally recommend the 85mm f/1.2L because that is what I use almost exclusively during a reception (except when I'm shooting on a glidecam) but it is a very bulky/heavy lens, probably not best suited for handheld, and also very expensive.

Peter Rush September 28th, 2015 01:45 PM

Jeez that is expensive - no IS though - I need a good lens for hand held work

Arthur Gannis September 29th, 2015 07:22 AM

How about the Canon EF 85mm F 1.8. ?

Malcolm Debono September 29th, 2015 07:26 AM

My go-to handheld low-light lens is the Canon 35mm f/2 IS. The stabilizer is excellent and the focus ring is very smooth for manual focus.

Peter Rush September 29th, 2015 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur Gannis (Post 1899395)
How about the Canon EF 85mm F 1.8. ?

Sadly no IS Arthur - If the new a7s sensor is all it's cracked up to be then any lens will be stabilised - I'm going to hang on until next year and if I upgrade then problem solved.

Arthur Gannis September 29th, 2015 10:08 AM

That A7s2 is also the camera I am getting. I will be slapping on a screw mount (with adapter) SMC Takumar 85mm F1.9 since I already own a collection of screw mount SMC Takumars. They still can be found for very little and their optical qualities are outstanding.

Phil Stanley September 29th, 2015 05:37 PM

I just bought 2 A7R II's with the 24/70 and 70/210 lenses.

Not played much yet but I am not overly impressed with the IS, it is not a patch on the Olympus