A good walk around prime for evening receptions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 28th, 2015, 09:31 AM   #1
Inner Circle

A good walk around prime for evening receptions

With the death of my Tamron 24-70 f2.8 that I only really use for dim evening receptions I wondered about maybe switching to a fast prime for general evening/people shots and wondered what is a popular lens to go for - I've looked at Canon 85 and 100mm but no IS - this is a must but all the primes in this range I've looked at have no stabilisation so what's out there?

There's the Canon 100mm L lens but is pricey and f2.8 - I want something a little faster.

There's a Zeiss 85mm f1.8 but I'm underwhelmed with Zeiss lenses as the manual focusing is pretty crap - especially considering a price tag of £1,000 TBH I'm quite gobsmacked at the price of Zeiss lenses when using manual focus turns out to be a hit an miss affair!

Preferable EF or E mount (full frame) and a short telephoto as I don't want to get in people's faces.

One option is that I hold on until I get the A7sII and then hopefully I can get any prime and it will be stabilised via the 5 axis sensor!

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 10:14 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: A good walk around prime for evening receptions

The Canon 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro lens is stabilised & a lovely lens. Not that pricey but not built like a traditional 'L' lens either as it's light & plasticky. The Canon EF 135mm f2 L USM Lens is slightly more expensive but has an extra stop.

The lens that I always used for 'sniping' images of guests at the reception was the wonderful 70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM which has the nicest image of any Canon lens is stabilised & allows you to stand well back with getting in anyone's face & has a beautiful image & bokeh.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 10:20 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I have that very lens Nigel but it's a beast and very heavy - I'm trying to avoid using a monopod if possible but I would with that lens. I'll look into that 100mm but Ideally I'd like something faster. I seemed to have more than my fair share of tealight lit evening receptions this season.
Old September 28th, 2015, 12:45 PM   #4
Trustee

I use 3 lenses, usually... my Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 Macro is nice for detail work and for when the reception isn't too dark. Or, for the dark, or my other cameras, I have a Canon 35mm f/2 and 85mm f/1.8.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 01:19 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I would normally recommend the 85mm f/1.2L because that is what I use almost exclusively during a reception (except when I'm shooting on a glidecam) but it is a very bulky/heavy lens, probably not best suited for handheld, and also very expensive.
Matthias Claflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 01:45 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Jeez that is expensive - no IS though - I need a good lens for hand held work
Old September 29th, 2015, 07:22 AM   #7
Major Player

How about the Canon EF 85mm F 1.8. ?
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2015, 07:26 AM   #8
Regular Crew

My go-to handheld low-light lens is the Canon 35mm f/2 IS. The stabilizer is excellent and the focus ring is very smooth for manual focus.
Malcolm Debono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2015, 08:50 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Gannis View Post
How about the Canon EF 85mm F 1.8. ?
Sadly no IS Arthur - If the new a7s sensor is all it's cracked up to be then any lens will be stabilised - I'm going to hang on until next year and if I upgrade then problem solved.
Old September 29th, 2015, 10:08 AM   #10
Major Player

That A7s2 is also the camera I am getting. I will be slapping on a screw mount (with adapter) SMC Takumar 85mm F1.9 since I already own a collection of screw mount SMC Takumars. They still can be found for very little and their optical qualities are outstanding.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2015, 05:37 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I just bought 2 A7R II's with the 24/70 and 70/210 lenses.

Not played much yet but I am not overly impressed with the IS, it is not a patch on the Olympus
Phil Stanley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques