DVD case printing, paper & printer? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 19th, 2015, 07:12 PM   #1
Major Player

DVD case printing, paper & printer?

So, I love the Mertiline Merax paper for folding and tearing, but neither of my printers like to "pick it up" from the tray. I have a Canon MX922 and an Epson Artisan 800 which are great printers, but neither will pick up the sheets without constant manipulating. Wondering if anyone has found the ideal setup. I really don't want anything I need to cut with scissors or a paper cutter, hence why I like perforated sheets. Thanx all.
Darryn Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2015, 07:57 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: DVD case printing, paper & printer?

I print on A4 sized premium presentation paper (Artisan 800) with outlines for where to cut. Then take a hobby knife and a ruler and have at it. Not the quickest, but pretty cheap.
Old October 20th, 2015, 11:48 AM   #3
Major Player

Neato I believe it was, makes A4 sized sheets that are perforated to fit DVD cases... but I never liked the way perforated edges look.

I use Epson photo glossy paper in my Artsian 835 and trim it with a paper trimmer.

I have considered going to White House Custom Color (WHCC) and having them do the DVD stuff for me... but then it brings the cost from $2/disc to like $30/disc. I just have a hard time with that, but I know the WHCC DVD products are superior in look and such to regular old DVD cases and inserts.

https://www.whcc.com/products/packag...-cases#pricing

Last edited by Kyle Root; October 20th, 2015 at 11:50 AM. Reason: added link
Kyle Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2015, 11:08 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Here's what I do. I use Epson printer with a continuous ink (CISS) setup. Ink cost is never an issue anymore.

Insert is print full page color using Costco Kirkland photo paper. I moved the design to the top left corner of the page. Then use Borderless printing feature. In that case I only need to trim the bottom and right edge.

Print on disk using Falcon Glossy watershield media. Looks amazing.

I put together in my blog. You can download the templates too.

Professional DVD and BluRay Production by Yourself | L.A. Color Pros Blog
Old October 26th, 2015, 02:04 PM   #5
Major Player

My setup is identical to Taky's, except I have refillable cartridges. It's just about as perfect as I can get without outsourcing case and disc printing. I use a high quality rotary cutter to blaze through 8-10 sheets at a time. It really is quicker than tearing off perforations. Once upon a time, I used the stuff from Neato and others with perforated edges; the edges look just horrid and amateur, especially if a design has dark colors.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques