Any reason why I shouldn't buy a 7D2 for dedicated steadicam camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 27th, 2015, 06:10 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Any reason why I shouldn't buy a 7D2 for dedicated steadicam camera?

Hi All - after a few years I'm retiring my NEX-VG20 from my Merlin rig and need to replace it. I've never really been happy with the image it produces, and the flipout LCD acts like a sail in the wind.

I'm considering a 7D mark II as I need 1080 50p and I've heard great things about the autofocus. Coupled with the 17-55 f2.8, which is fast enough for any indoor shots, I can get body and lens for about £1,300 which is top end of my budget. I was looking to spend not much more than £1K but do need a camera/lens combo that will also work in low light and on the dancefloor.

This camera would sit on my Merlin for the afternoon but could also double as backup in the event anything happened to my main camera (Sony A7s)

A good choice or am I missing something? I'm not bothered about 4K so lack of it is not an issue for me. The only other camera that is in a similar price range is the GH4 with 12-35 f2.8 lens but i have never had my hands on a panasonic camera but hear good things about this one.
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 06:54 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Any reason why I shouldn't buy a 7D2 for dedicated steadicam camera?

Pete the 70d amazing, but the reports are the new 6dii with auto focus, which your tamron 24-70 will fly lovely on there.
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 07:13 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Yes but not out yet Steve and would be over budget for me - this camera would almost exclusively be for my Steadicam which produces rarely more than a dozen shots in an entire wedding film so I don't want to spend a fortune
Old October 27th, 2015, 07:35 AM   #4
Trustee

I can't speak to the lens, but have had really poor experiences with non-STM lenses using the autofocus. Some lenses are better than others (the primes tend to do OK). Lots of vibration, hunting and pecking, etc. If you don't already own the lens, rent it first and test it.

I haven't used the 7Dii, but love the focusing system but it uses the same sensor as the 70D and performs almost identical in low light, which is the main issue with the 70D. Max ISO is reasonably 1600, but can be pushed, maybe to 2500. Combined with a f/2.8 lens....

If that isn't a problem for you (1st dances? Receptions in general?), go ahead. Since your steadicam camera seems very optional, it would seem fine choice.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 07:45 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Robert STM lenses are very limited with only a 24mm at f2.8 which is not wide enough for me. I'm assuming here there are no 3rd part STM lenses I'm missing?
Old October 27th, 2015, 08:04 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
Robert STM lenses are very limited with only a 24mm at f2.8 which is not wide enough for me. I'm assuming here there are no 3rd part STM lenses I'm missing?
I know. For wide shot, there is a 10-18mm but its f/4.5-5.6. Nice during outdoors, though.
Similar problem with their 18mm+ zooms... 18-135mm and 18-55mm (which is, truly... cheap).

Its why I suggested testing your lens choice before buying. Primes don't usually have the same shaking/vibration of the glass that zooms do. Zooms will depend on the build for how much and if its a problem.

They both still have the motor noise, though, a real problem for on-camera mic. Example:

For 3rd party, Sigma has something called 'Linear Motor' which is supposed to be the same as Canon's STM. I've seen it on their "DN" lenses for micro 4/3rds, which isn't helpful. No idea if they have it for regular Canon mount.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 10:42 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Tbh i don't use AF as i use a samyang 14 mm and set it to whatever distance i think i'll need and at a small aperture as i can get away with (this is where the vg20 fails me - terrible in low light) and i keep this distance in mind as i fly. Good AF just might be an extra tool in the kit
Old October 27th, 2015, 11:25 AM   #8
Trustee

Pete then pick up the 70d cheap and a 17-55 2.8 canon lens and your good to go with the best, i use it all the time on my glidecam it is great.
Old October 28th, 2015, 01:53 AM   #9
Inner Circle

No 50p though steve - i shoot everything at 50p and when i've had to use my 5d as an emergency camera the 25p really jars alongside my other cams so 50p is a must
Old October 28th, 2015, 05:55 AM   #10
Trustee

Mmmm, then my little g7 is very good and that does 50p as well as the gh4 but reports say the auto focus is hit and miss?
Old October 28th, 2015, 06:04 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Is a sony a6000 not an option?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2015, 06:05 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
Mmmm, then my little g7 is very good and that does 50p as well as the gh4 but reports say the auto focus is hit and miss?
I personally would never use autofocus when the camera is on a steadicam, because you have no control over it while flying it might start to hunt and ruin a critical shot.
Old October 28th, 2015, 06:15 AM   #13
Inner Circle

I don't noa - what i'm looking for is a great camera for steadicam that will double as a stand-in camera in case anything happens to my main camera but also one which i can leave with my other half for some bridal preps
Old October 28th, 2015, 06:19 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Why not? That a6000 might be easier to use then the gh4, on the steadicam and handheld, maybe with a loupe, I have seen it does have some very impressive autofocus in case you need that and you probably already have some lenses for it?
Old October 28th, 2015, 12:06 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I personally would never use autofocus when the camera is on a steadicam, because you have no control over it while flying it might start to hunt and ruin a critical shot.
70d never hunts with facial tracking it sticks like glue?
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques