Let's share our Lav Mic techniques! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 11th, 2015, 04:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Let's share our Lav Mic techniques!

(For vows specifically!)

So, I'll share my setup first - I only mic the groom, and record into a Tascam DR-10C on his belt. I use the lav mic's clip and attach either to the shirt under a tie, or if bow ties, I attach to the waistcoat - the side that tucked slightly inside the other side to hide it.

Issues:
- I get quite a bit of fabric rubbing noise I'm afraid.
- I always felt that grooms and togs would be annoyed if I had the mic simply clipped to the jacket, and visible.

Should I do it anyway for sake of better audio? Or can anyone recommend a product to minimise rubbing noise?

Does anyone mic the priest? The bride even?

I watched these two videos and to be honest I think they are crazy. Maybe more suited to a video company that was basically shooting with a full crew. I wouldn't have time to set up audio on the bride even if I wanted to have the awkward conversation about a recorder attached to her thigh!

Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 04:49 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Let's share our Lav Mic techniques!

I bought a matchstick microphone 2 years ago and used to hide it. Had the same problems. Now I don't bother.

Good audio is too important, so I just clip it. If he's wearing flowers on his lapel, I put it next to them so they draw the eye instead of the mic. That's it.

Anything else I'll leave to the source I learned it from, Joe Simon:

The Delivery MenQuick Tips - Digital Audio Recorders - The Delivery Men

Especially helpful for hiding mics.

----------

Mic'ing the bride seems so unnecessary if they're going to face each other for the vows. If you mic the groom, she easily falls into the 3 foot rule. I've never had an issue. I suppose similar idea applies to a female pastor.

Can't help but wonder about the fun of getting that mic back out of the bride's dress, after the ceremony.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 08:29 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive McLaughlin View Post
Does anyone mic the priest? The bride even?
In that still motion video (at 05:29) you see the videographer reach inside the brides dress to tape his lav mike in the "center cleavage area", as if that is ever going to happen, lol. I do agree that supplying these lav mikes on all talking subjects is going to increase the audio quality and it will lift your production to a higher level but for me there is just no time to do all of that + most brides won't allow it. I"m sure the videographers that do this don't work alone and charge a high amount, if the client pays that much they know they have to allow this to happen if they want their video to be of the same quality of what they have seen from that videographer.

I just try to keep it simple, I supply the groom with a lav and a recorder in front of a soundspeaker and only if time allows I add extra recorders with lavs at the altar and lectern.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 09:23 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Yeah, I've never attempted, or wanted to attempt, micing a bride. 99% of the time, the audio from the groom's lav is fine. I've never had a groom complain about just clipping it to his lapel.
Bob Drummond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 06:28 PM   #5
Major Player

Have you considered Rycote's Undercover line of products? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/538897-REG/Rycote_065101_Undercover_Lavalier_Wind.html
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2015, 06:20 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Arieli View Post
Have you considered Rycote's Undercover line of products? Rycote Undercover - Lavalier Wind Cover (Black) 065101 B&H Photo
I've experienced the rubbing sounds using these, though I'm sure they're capable of working well. I used their windshields for an outdoor ceremony, and they worked brilliantly.

My technique is simple: I hook up the lav to a Sony M10 recorder. Place recorder in groom's jacket pocket or pant's pocket. Make two loops (before the wedding) using masking tape. Supply the lav to the position where the flower is on the groom's jacket. And then set the recorder to 'Record' and select the hold function.

I also have a lav and M10 closeby, and I do worry that if the lav fails, I'm going to be left with sub-par audio, but for the most part, it works a treat.

No rubbing either.
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2015, 08:00 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive McLaughlin View Post
Should I do it anyway for sake of better audio? Or can anyone recommend a product to minimise rubbing noise?

Does anyone mic the priest?
Missed that one... I absolutely mic the priest. It makes the rest of the ceremony easier, but also acts as backup to the vows. I also put a recorder at the podium/lectern or taped to mic stand at an outdoor ceremony.

-----

To minimize rubbing noise, There are products you can buy, but mostly, I like the method of folding your tape into a sort of triangle, putting it on both sides of the mic head to shield it. I rarely put the mic somewhere that's necessary, though. That's for outdoor ceremonies where I want to shield it from the wind.
Old December 14th, 2015, 01:19 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I use a Tascam DR-10C and Sennheiser ME-2 on the groom - simply clipped to his lapel and not near his buttonhole flower as it can cause unwanted rubbing sounds - I always mention this will happen at the pre-wedding meeting and have never had a complaint - TBH I don't care if the photographer thinks that it spoils his pics as I need this audio regardless and it's only for the ceremony anyway!

I also have a Sony audio recorder and Mic-J lavalier on the lecturn and finally a similar set up near a church speaker. I rarely mic the priest as I have so little time and hardly ever plug into the church PA as most seem from the dark ages, and either have limited connectivity or they simply sound bad - If the sound from the PA is really bad I would endevour, if time allows, to mic the priest. I will also leave a Zoom H1 as near the action as possible as backup.

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2015, 05:22 AM   #9
Trustee

+1 Peter, same as me
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2015, 08:11 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
I rarely mic the priest as I have so little time
Yet another difference from across the pond.

While I have run into some pastors/priests/celebrants who are late in arriving, its never been much of a problem. However, we also don't have the whole 'bride and dad arriving' thing. They're always already on site, so that for the last 10 minutes before a ceremony, I've always got lots of time (haha, ok, not quite) to check everything and make sure my recorders are all set.
Old December 16th, 2015, 11:20 AM   #11
Major Player

I always try to mic both the groom and minister. Sometimes one or the other does not want to wear it, and I never push if they don't want to, so that's why I ask both and try to do both.

I've never mic'ed the groom.

I've also done the pocket recorder thing, but prefer to use Sennheiser G3s.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques