Unique Wedding shoots to a Niche market - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 28th, 2016, 11:08 AM   #31
Trustee

Re: Unique Wedding shoots to a Niche market

Noa, I'm not knocking your reasons. Theres business reasons and health reasons in your case to scale back. Less editing time, less equipment to maintain and carry. I just don't buy that going single camera or back to basics leads to better focus on the detail and emotion on the event as you it, or provide a more visually interesting video as Roger puts it. Feels the equivalent of me saying I'm going to film a Wedding with 1 arm tied behind my back and as long as I'm creative and inventive enough and know how to use my other arm well, I'll deliver an exceptional video. Yeah, but I'll still do better with both arms. :)
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2016, 12:58 PM   #32
Inner Circle

I don't think that anyone has suggested that using one camera gives a more visually interesting product or more attention to detail. The point is that an experienced camera person with skill and imagination can film a wedding giving attention to detail and keeping it visually interesting, not better than a multi camera shoot, but also not necessarily worse, it just takes a different approach. Using four cameras, cranes, dollies, drones etc is not going to give you great video if the operators have no real idea what they are doing, so lots of cameras doesn't neccesarily make for better video, but they do give more options. Of course using lots of gear with great operators is another matter.

The big advantage with one camera operation is speed and mobility, particularly when short handed or solo. Setting up and breaking down multi cameras and ancillary equipment can be comparatively time consuming and an additional burden on mobility even though there can also be advantages of course. For our work, we like to keep it as simple as possible, using quick clamps for second and third cameras if we feel they are required and one camera only for as much as possible.

As I have constantly reiterated it's less about what you've got and more about how you use it. There is also no right or wrong or better or worse way of working it's what you are comfortable with and whether or not the end product is saleable.
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2016, 01:49 PM   #33
Trustee

I agree that multi camera setup can be time consuming, though with practise I've brought the time down to manageable levels. It is stressful before and after setting up 4-5 cameras that I use and my bag weighs a tonne. Though recently found its fits snuggly in a travel suitcase on wheels I have. So I'll be making better use of that. I can see for some its a stress they can well do without, but for me the rewards in the footage I get is worth the hassle.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques