American Wedding Group? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 4th, 2016, 02:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

American Wedding Group?

Anyone familiar with this company or working for this company as a freelancer?

They seem to be one of those company that books videographers from around the country to shoot for them, then you send them the footage.

https://www.americanweddinggroup.com...s/default.aspx
Joe Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2016, 02:26 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: American Wedding Group?

The walmart of weddings :) it's one way to make a living I guess, It doesn't say how much they pay you per hour and how much they charge their clients, that would be interesting to know.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2016, 02:37 PM   #3
Trustee

Noa's right, of course.

Love this: "The Pros Entertainment Services is associated with ~39 other domains"

You do the work, they cash the checks. No thanks.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2016, 03:05 PM   #4
Major Player

I spoke to a photographer who began shooting for them. He said they have mostly budget weddings, and that he is scheduled pretty last minute, about a month away, so it's good for him to fill in dates where he's available. The shoots are typically 4-6 hours, so it would be nice to have a quick day. He's older, and said he's on his way out of the industry, not trying to build himself up anymore.

On the one hand, it would be nice to just shoot & ship, and not deal with the paperwork, service & editing, but on the other hand the time & effort put into shooting weddings (prep work, packing, setting up) has a cost, let alone actually working them & shooting.

Might be good for experience if you're new, on the other hand your just cannibalizing yourself and the market by working for them, as companies like this can outspend us in advertising, marketing, and bridal expo booths. As Noa said, the Walmart or McDonalds of wedding videos.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2016, 03:15 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I can't imagine if they pay much per hour but if you want to fill in time where you are sure you won't get any bookings it's still better then making no money at all.
Old February 4th, 2016, 04:15 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I can't imagine if they pay much per hour but if you want to fill in time where you are sure you won't get any bookings it's still better then making no money at all.
Yes & No. Like you Noa I've had some back/body issues (I'm 43 now). I'm not sure I'd shoot much of a wedding for less than $500. Maybe $400. But my weeks off, as much I wish I was working, I'll enjoy my weeks off. Although, I work a M-F job so that's a bit different.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 06:15 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Except if you work in your normal area you will get known as someone who works for this crowd & not someone with a business in their own right. If this lot are the WalMart of weddings while your aim is to be the Harrods or Neiman Marcus of weddings then you will be losing credibility.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 02:57 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I declined to work for them but I've shot for other similar companies. I found the pay too low with AWG.
Old February 5th, 2016, 06:33 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I declined to work for them but I've shot for other similar companies. I found the pay too low with AWG.
I'm trying to remember the exact number, but I'm almost sure that, as a DJ, I got a call from The Pros (all the same people) and they offered by $180. To drive 2 hours.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 06:41 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Well the pay for a videographer was much better than that, of course, but I won't share their rates because I don't think they would appreciate it. But they did pay extra for extra hours. Considering it was for just shooting it wasn't horrible but it just wasn't enough for me.
Old February 8th, 2016, 12:44 PM   #11
Tourist

I shoot on the side for AWG. I think it all depends on what you want out of doing wedding video. If you are burnt out on editing, don't enjoy net working and have a full-time job through the week then it's not bad. I actually think the pay is ok for the expectations with AWG. If you are an auteur and think of wedding video as art then they are not for you. If you are able to book $2,000+ weddings on your own without a lot of effort then they are not for you. But if you're a weekend warrior with the equipment already then it's not a bad deal.
Mathew Meyerotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2016, 01:02 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Yeah, I think most here look down upon this kind of work but actually it's easy extra money made, if I had to rely on my business to pay the bills I would not mind filling weekends where I have no bookings with that kind of freelance work.
Old February 9th, 2016, 03:19 PM   #13
Trustee

Like any industry, there is a certain amount of professional snobbery in those producing Wedding Videos. Some who have been in it for many years have forgotten it seems the steps they may have taken to reach their position. Plus the rules have changed. Anyone starting even 10 years ago would have faced a considerably different landscape in the wedding video industry than anyone entering it now. The internet and new technology has made competition more challenging and of greater concern.

Being a freelancer to another business can carry great dividends. A Wedding booking I take is very expensive as I not only do I lose a day but often 20-30 hours of editing.

I've got 5 days in March booked for another video company; a load of Corporate events. It's for footage only and the combined money from all 5 events is just slightly more than a single days Wedding, but in hours worked is actually less than a Wedding when you factor in editing, admin and meeting the clients.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2016, 07:53 PM   #14
Inner Circle

A lot of us have never really sat down and worked out exactly what it costs us to do a wedding from start to finish ...take all your time right from talking with the bride, visiting the bride, travel time, on site time, time spent on the edit and then packaging/delivery time ... that gives you the real hours you spent and will also allow you to work out your hourly rate ... it will be lower than you realise!

I do an occasional corporate shoot or two for a marketing company on the other side of the country ..it doesn't pay the bills but it's easy money !
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2016, 03:15 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post
I've got 5 days in March booked for another video company; a load of Corporate events. It's for footage only and the combined money from all 5 events is just slightly more than a single days Wedding, but in hours worked is actually less than a Wedding when you factor in editing, admin and meeting the clients.
[QUOTE=Chris Harding;1908781I do an occasional corporate shoot or two for a marketing company on the other side of the country ..it doesn't pay the bills but it's easy money ![/QUOTE]

Doing freelance corporate shoots when your main business is weddings is very different to shooting for another wedding video business particularly locally.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques