Blu-Ray and DVD on thumb Drive at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 5th, 2016, 08:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Blu-Ray and DVD on thumb Drive

How is this done? Do you just upload the DVD or Blu-Ray files onto a thumbdrive?

Would one be able to then plug it into the USB drive on a TV and it would play?

Thanks,

Mervin
Mervin Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 04:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Blu-Ray and DVD on thumb Drive

Unfortunately there is no such thing exist.

The fact is there isn't a standard on TVs USB port. Some TV USB port doesn't even play any video at all.

Many deliver videos on thumbdrive to client. It is mainly for Computer playback. On top of that there isn't a DVD style menu presented. Clients just have to double click each video.

I created a menu system for USB and online delivery called TakyBox (TakyBox HTML5 Menu Generator | L.A. Color Pros) I recently deliver a birthday party job with all video on YouTube. Then with this menu.

http://lacolormedia.com/avery-birthday

But still again, there is no guarantee TV playback even if i deliver this job on USB drive.

Noe this is my new invention. It is called TakyBox HDMI Player. Its an HDMI stick that plugs to any TV HDMI port. 100% playback. No user intervention. Play and play.

Old March 15th, 2016, 10:53 AM   #3
Major Player

Piggybacking onto this thread, there's an issue where a USB drive formatted as Fat32 cannot hold over 4GB, correct?

Does choosing NTFS resolve this, and are there any drawbacks to this? A google search states it's a Microsoft format, with that said will it not work on Macs?

Otherwise, what is the best way to deliver USB? I do short trailers, which fit, but am looking to also deliver the full lengths on USB also (H.264 or Quicktime).
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 01:24 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I think exFAT format will work on Mac and Win systems as well now on lots of camcorders. Most large SD cards come formatted this way. You might also look at TMPGEnc PGMX? CREATOR - Video, Subtitles, Slideshows and Menus, all in one file. for authoring to a USB drive.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 01:25 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm reading that formatting the thumb drive using ExFAT makes it platform-independent and removes the 4GB limit from the equation. Sounds the like ExFAT formatting must be done on a PC though some say it can be done on a Mac.

Thanks
Old March 15th, 2016, 02:08 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Most compatible format is FAT32. But we have to deal with the 4GB limitation. If you want max compatibility on TV and other device FAT32 is the way to go.

FAT32, ExFat, NTFS, all created by Microsoft. Mac can read NTFS drive but not write to without third party software.

exFat also has it's issue with earlier Mac OS. If the disc is formated in PC with a higher number of allocation unit specified, some Mac wont' mount it at all. The issue is fixed in current OSx updates.

If you target your customer playing back your USB drive on computer only, NTFS is not a bad choice.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques