Pc backup - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 3rd, 2016, 07:06 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Pc backup

If I was working with a deadline, I'd use my mac, which I have a back up, but like you, my PC is my main video editor. I think for the most of us, the expense of a good editor makes it tricky to have a twin. I'm not a TV station with a million dollar budget, so if my main pc goes down, which hit has, I just rebuild it from parts from Newegg in a week. I've built and replaced my PC about every three years since I've been in business.

Noa, I've been there, I use ASUS stuff too, I'm glad you have it up and running again. I did have a PC laptop 17 inch that I was using every once in a while, but it's been re purposed. like I said, it's hard to have so many machines, keep them current, that gets expensive.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 07:23 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
The problem I have with that is that my pc system is build around Edius meaning I need specific components to get the best out of the NLE, from the moment I would place an order until it reaches my doorstep could be 1 to 2 weeks because it's custombuild at the pcstore.
I get that people are anti Creative Cloud because of the subscription thing, and I don't necessarily disagree (even though I subscribe), but in 2016 having to order particular components that would take weeks to arrive would be a deal-breaker for me.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2016, 11:27 PM   #18
Inner Circle

That pc store where I always buy from has pc's you can order today and get tomorrow, or you just drive to them and take it home with you, if you buy custombuild pc's there is a waiting list as they build as orders come in and usually your pc arrives within a week, in my last case however the processor was not in stock, I ordered a i7 4790k which apparently was so popular they couldn"t keep up so I had to wait almost 2 weeks.

Not sure what the subscription model has to do with ordering a pc, Edius needs a specific cpu with build in gpu in order to make use of accelerated rendering, also the motherboard is important for me so it has the right connectivity and I check if the BIOS is fully unlocked so I won't get any issues like you can get when ordering a DELL pc where they often lock parts of the bios from accidental changes, there are few changes I always need to make that are minor but very important. Usually I also check on the Edius forum for recommendations as well.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques