Memory card management on the day - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 1st, 2016, 11:37 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Memory card management on the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
. Best solution is belt & braces i.e. use a camera that records onto cards simultaneously or record to card & external recorder.
That's so important Nigel, I don't trust any card, no mater what brand. I still use a Nano Flash as a my external recorder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Anyone who is not dual recording to a camera is taking a risk.
Your right there Noa, a big risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Barnett View Post
I'd probably give a massive discount, or more likely a full credit if that did happen .
Lets hope that never happens to any of us David but I too would give a full credit and what ever else I could do for them.

Peter, I keep my full cards in my (zipped) jacket pocket and just change to an empty card when there is plenty of time to do so.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2016, 08:55 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I keep them all in a little bag in my main camera bag. I just keep a close eye on the time and change pre-emotively if it's a segment that I know runs the risk of running long. Like if I have only 10 minutes left and it's the grand entrance, I'll change. That sort of thing. Same with speeches. I carry extra ones on me during the speeches, and I have my second cam to fall back on if one runs out.
Steven Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2016, 08:49 AM   #18
Major Player

I use the following case:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Peli-0915-c.../dp/B00933489O

Each slot has a memory card, and each memory card is colour coded by a sticker. That sticker corresponds to the sticker that is stuck onto the SD card flap of the camera it relates to. The day before each wedding, each card is formatted inside the camera that it corresponds to. When a card is 30 mins away from being full, I take the SD card, lock it, and place it into its slot. Then the card to the right or on the next line comes out and is placed into the camera.

I think this isn't risky at all. The GH4R has a really favourable option now that we're able to see how many minutes are left. As soon as it gets close to the 30 minute mark, the SD card case comes out of the top of my bag, which has a zip lock, and the card is replaced. I could buy a 256GB card, but I run two 128GB for my GH4R and go down to a 64GB one for the end of the night. There's always four cards for my GH4R. The GH4 has 4 cards too, whilst the AX100 gets two cards capable of over 2 hours of 4K recording. Finally, the gimbal with the GH3 attached has a single SD card of 64GB which is plenty.
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2016, 03:16 PM   #19
Major Player

My belt and braces solution is I use two cams that have internal memory 96 Gb I think
The two 4Ks have 128 Gb and have never been removed from the cam since they were put in.
and lastly I use 64 Gb SxS on my PMW200.
Same goes for audio I have two or more going - thats my built in redundancy!
Old June 10th, 2016, 05:16 AM   #20
New Boot

I use large cards that last the entire day. My partner uses multiple smaller cards for his cameras which he changes.

We've discussed the benefits of not "keeping all one's eggs in one basket". And I agree with this philosophy, but I think that shooting with at least 4 cameras means you are putting your eggs into different baskets. It's like RAID 5 - if you were to lose ALL footage from one of the cameras, you would be OK. If you lost two, maybe not.

But now you're saving time not having to switch out cards during the day. For me, every second counts. And with every card or battery switch, you introduce some risk.

I have a Think Tank soft case (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/847371-REG/Think_Tank_209_Pixel_Pocket_Rocket_Memory.html) that I used when I had only 16 GB cards, but I leave it in my case now.
Chris Andrikakis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques