What type of Microphone to record Tap-Shoe sounds at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 9th, 2016, 03:24 PM   #1
Major Player

What type of Microphone to record Tap-Shoe sounds

For Dance Recitals with Tap-dance, I have previously used a Tascam DR-05 audio recorder to capture the Tap Sounds
It does an adequate job, but I know there are units built specifically to be taped to the stage floor and record the tap sounds.

Can anyone offer a suggestion?
And if it would output to the Tascam's 3.5mm mic/line input that would be a bonus
Vince Pachiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2016, 04:07 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: What type of Microphone to record Tap-Shoe sounds

Look at PZM mics, specifically the PCC160 from Crown (now AKG.) We use it every weekend for this exact purpose.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 07:23 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Yep also known as boundary mics they do an awesome job just taped onto the stage. My AKG's are tiny too ..about an inch and a half long and 3/4" wide ..looks like a tiny computer mouse!! They usually need phantom power though ...mine get their excitation from the transmitter .. They are amazing units ..Even try taping them to the walls as the stage floor might be very loud ...the walls will pick up more reflected sound than you realise. Every kit should have at least one!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2016, 04:22 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Chris,

I have two solutions depending on the setup in the theatre,

If there are monitor speakers on the stage, it reduces the options, so I use boundary microphones (usually 2 of them equally spaced on the front edge of the stage if possible) and connect both of them to a Zoom Z4N. The Zoom is great as it can provide phantom power and record the two inputs on separate channels.

If there are no monitor speakers (or it is quite low volume) I also use a couple of zoom recorders. Usually the one connected to the two boundary mics in the middle of front of the stage and that way you can use the 4 channels option on the zoom and record with both boundary and the zoom's built in speakers.

I would like to note, for some reason and in some theatres I get better results with the zoom feed and sometimes better with the boundary mics, I really have not figured out why sometimes better with one than the other, guess it is down to the stage material / solidity but not a sound expert so just choose which ever channel of the recording is the best.

If the stage is really large I also add another couple of zooms on the stage tucked left and right of stage (usually can find somewhere and put them on gorilla pods).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques