Tascam DR10CS/DR10L combo for ceremonies - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 7th, 2016, 03:11 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Tascam DR10CS/DR10L combo for ceremonies

My go to has been the Sony UX533 with a sennheiser lav plugged in.

It's very small, battery lasts forever, has a lock switch so that buttons can't get accidently pushed, and if by change the lav becomes unplugged (hasn't happened yet), then the internal mics will at least get something workable.

My stress level has dropped dramatically since I switched to this from the Sennheiser G3.
Steven Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2016, 02:47 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Shea View Post

My stress level has dropped dramatically since I switched to this from the Sennheiser G3.
That's how I feel about not using wireless as well. People used to say you can't monitor the audio that way, which didn't really matter, because you couldn't change the settings on the groom's mic if you needed to switch to a different frequency. You were stuck with the static or interference, but hey, at least you could monitor it! = P

Last edited by D.R. Gates; December 10th, 2016 at 11:09 PM.
D.R. Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2016, 09:54 PM   #18
Regular Crew

[quote=D.R. Gates;1924758]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Shea View Post

My stress level has dropped dramatically since I switched to this from the Sennheiser G3.[/QUOT

That's how I feel about not using wireless as well. People used to say you can't monitor the audio that way, which didn't really matter, because you couldn't change the settings on the groom's mic if you needed to switch to a different frequency. You were stuck with the static or interference, but hey, at least you could monitor it! = P
Exactly! Coming from my old corporate style shooting, I did monitor when I first began shooting weddings. Until I realized how pointless it is. I'll check prior just to make sure it's working, but once it's live, that's it.

So I'd way rather go in blind with a system that's more failsafe. I haven't yet had an issue with the pocket recorder, where as I had several issues with interference on the Sennheiser.
Steven Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2016, 10:17 PM   #19
Major Player

I now have 3 of those handy Tascams and love them.
My dream system would be a wirelss lav system that also records internally at the transmitter but that isn't possible for me now.

For many years I just used a dual Azden wireless lav system and had no problems thank the Lord. But when my friend beat it all up I had to get something else so I got some Sennheisers and found out about the Tascam DR10CS so I got one of those too.

So I use the Sennheiser G3 on the pastor and a Tascam lav on the groom. And in post I just use whichever sounds best or mix if needed. I also try to tap into the "house" system if the pastor is mic'd for an additional option.
Sometimes I'll attach a G3 and Tascam on the same person for extra backup. If it were a high dollar event I would use a G3 and DR10CS on up to 3 people for safety.
David Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 04:38 AM   #20
Major Player

Can't afford wireless? (as anything below a G3/UWP-D11 is junk) Don't care if you can't monitor your audio??? :-o (straight to audio hell you go!)

Then boy oh boy does B&H have an end of year deal for you, the Tascam DR10L is once again going for only US$139:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1331924-REG/tascam_dr_10lw_dr_10l_mini_portabl_recorder.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801
Old February 8th, 2018, 08:22 AM   #21
Major Player

Wanted to follow up on the DR10L. I used these on several weddings and other gigs over the course of 2017 and absolutely love them.

I still use 2 G3s that I route into my rear camera wide safety shot for weddings as an "all in one" a/v solution. Because if the G3 comes in clear, it's golden and one less thing I have to worry about importing and all that mess.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques