Chapter markers for USB delivery at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 7th, 2017, 12:48 PM   #1
Major Player

Chapter markers for USB delivery

How does one go about doing it ? Mac platform. Been giving out DVD's for years but now they want to plug it on their smart tv's. What is needed as far as software etc. Thanks.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 02:15 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Chapter markers for USB delivery

You would have to make it individual files that they choose between for Smart TVs. Anything else you can source requires a computer to play it.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 02:52 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Gannis View Post
How does one go about doing it ?
Taky Cheung has developed a way to show a menu, like you have on a dvd, but with mp4's on a usb stick, here you can find more about it: TakyBox Console for Online Delivery & USB Export (12-Month) | L.A. Color Pros)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 04:52 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I have been delivering HD wedding video for clients on USB for a while now and I find that providing the files are numbered consecutively they seem to automatically move on to the next numbered file on most smart tvs.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 05:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I've made HTML5 functional menus for web deliver streaming projects .... that opens like a DVD menu on any PC / mobile device internet browser ... if the takybox mentioned can open from a USB on any TV (even without internet) that will be great !!!

regards
Old January 7th, 2017, 05:49 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks all. I will look into that soon. It seems everyone wants to see it on a large screen instead of a computer. They are all getting smart tv's that playback from USB, they don't want media players and boxes anymore.DVD players will go the way of the dodo soon. They want navigation menus just like DVD's with a photo/video thumbnail to select chapters from. Just numbering menus simply won't do even if there is a description. They are used to real markers with either photo or video. At least that's what my client's want and many of my previous clients want their dvd's converted to USB. Good thing I saved all my editable projects. I see a moneymaker opportunity here.
Old January 7th, 2017, 05:51 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Gannis View Post
They are all getting smart tv's that playback from USB, they don't want media players and boxes anymore.
And that's the issue with Taky and Enrique's solutions. They do not work with Smart TVs, they require computers to play them.
Old January 7th, 2017, 06:35 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I just make sure my clips are intelligently named and they have leading zeros if you have more than 9 clips ...it's pretty easy to figure out what a clip is about when it's called 0001BridalPrep.mp4 or 0002Arrival.mp4 etc etc etc ..works fine for me. Of course they can also use the Smart TV for your online copy too which we send people to their Live Broadcast Event page but we do need to rename the clips on a full wedding so that know what is what.

I was under the impression though that Taky's solution was actually made for Smart TV's not computers and works perfectly with them.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 06:39 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
I was under the impression though that Taky's solution was actually made for Smart TV's not computers and works perfectly with them.
Taky's site specifically says it works for TVs if you have an AppleTV or Chromecast, which is not the situation Arthur is referring to.
Old January 7th, 2017, 08:21 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quite right Gary

Thanks for pointing that out! So far all I have used is the "intelligent naming" method and brides don't seem to have any issue at all. However a "prettier" method with a menu and drop image would be considered more professional to the client. A simple solution would be nice that would work for all types of TV
Old January 7th, 2017, 11:53 PM   #11
Major Player

I was reading somewhere that Adobe Encore had an Export to USB or something to that effect, can't be sure.
Any one ?
Old January 8th, 2017, 01:55 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Taky at least claims it works on any tv with a hdmi port but then you need to use this: TB HDMI Player for TakyBox TV Playback | L.A. Color Pros
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 04:10 AM   #13
Major Player

Encore can write a flash file similar to DVD menus and all. Would still need a computer.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 05:42 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Hi Noa

Then of course the client has the same hassles as using a media player surely? Connect the device and connect the power supply so you might as well give the client a media player...It's very cheap at $49 but that is a 12 month subscription of course. So if you want to show off your wedding to the grandkids 10 years later, one assume you have to keep paying the annual subscription ..I guess the couple has to pay after 12 months ..it would be tricky to explain to a couple that it only lasts a year then you have to pay again? and again? You could quite easily install them an HDMI media player and they can use it for watching whatever they like but they can still plug in the USB when required. I guess with a media player you lose the fancy menu? so it's back to square one for an easy solution. There was a company offering online storage of HD files and that included a DVD style menu but I'm not sure if they are still going?? Again that was subscription based !

What Arthur wants is a USB you simply plug into your TV and "POOF" you get a DVD type menu on the screen. Anything more complex than that will put a client off!!
Old January 8th, 2017, 06:55 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
What Arthur wants is a USB you simply plug into your TV and "POOF" you get a DVD type menu on the screen.
Have you watched the video on his site? It's just plug and play and the menu automatically appears after you insert the dongle, for power you can connect to a free usb port on the tv, can't be easier. With a regular mediaplayer you won't have a dvd like menu system. It's also possible to connect this dongle to a laptop and from what I understand 4K playback is or will be possible.
The subscription is not for the client, it will always work for them, it's only for you as the creator to generate the menus.

If you want to present your films in a professional way to your client this seems like the only option available at this moment that will work with any TV.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques