DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Dance Recital Video Distribution Revisited (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/535780-dance-recital-video-distribution-revisited.html)

Vince Pachiano August 28th, 2019 05:39 PM

Re: Dance Recital Video Distribution Revisited

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Silverman (Post 1952724)
I've seen online that high school graduations could potentially work, does anyone have experience shooting these for free and making money only off the DVD purchases? Any other events where this could work?

I've had 4 daughters graduate high school. I have zero interest in a DVD of the event.
Our school district does contract out with a Media company to stream the event live to the web, and onto the video score board at the venue.

BTW, your are posting about an entirely different subject on the sixth page of a thread that is 18 months old. I'm curious as to why people don't just create a new thread with a new topic.

Pete Cofrancesco August 28th, 2019 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Pachiano (Post 1952780)
I've had 4 daughters graduate high school. I have zero interest in a DVD of the event.
Our school district does contract out with a Media company to stream the event live to the web, and onto the video score board at the venue.

BTW, your are posting about an entirely different subject on the sixth page of a thread that is 18 months old. I'm curious as to why people don't just create a new thread with a new topic.

Sounds like I'm looking to make money sort of a deal.

Tim OBrian September 9th, 2019 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Banner (Post 1952675)
I then have another camera up on the front row that gets a dramatically different perspective. Depending on the studio demands, this camera either gets medium and/or wide shots or a combination of tight, medium and wide. I mix this together with the main camera.

Hi David, I used to do this too. I got really interesting angles and nice close-ups of the dancers. But then it all got too hard trying to find a good spot down the front essentially "blocking" parents view that got front row in the center. I wanted to avoid the look of every other dance videographer doing 2 cameras at the back. I also ran into problems whereby this close-up camera would also get side stage action of the next lot of girls waiting to run onto stage and crew milling behind the curtains. Ultimately, I have moved into this direction with the occasional large dance studio getting a 3rd wide angle with a 16mm lens from the front which is unmanned. The parents don't seem to mind, and this way I still get good close-ups with my 70-200mm as well as a 2x extender if needed.

My fallback "main" camera is a GH4 which shoots 4k unlimited length. In Premiere I turn this into 2 shots - a full stage shot at 4K and a cropped in shot of 3/4s of the stage where most of the action may fall. On a 1080p timeline, this is still 1:1 scale soo there is no digital zooming.

This allows me to shoot by myself with 2+ cameras and being able to monitor both cameras at once. Audio monitoring is hit and miss depending on the location of the sound desk, but I use a Tascam DR-70 which can record a 2nd track at -10db so I have a backup recording incase of peaking.