Vimeo alternatives - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 15th, 2018, 04:09 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Vimeo alternatives

I just added my first film to my YouTube account, the very first thing I noticed was when the film was shared publicly on YouTube, so that it was embedded on my website and playable on YouTube, my embedded film on the website returned to a photo that I uploaded at the end of the film so that was good, on YouTube however at the end a film from a competitor was shown and started to load. That's I guess is the price you pay for a free account, since YouTube videos score better in search results compared to vimeo videos if you want to be found on YouTube you have to accept competitors videos might autostart after yours.

Going to leave the film publicly availaible for a while to see if it gets flagged as it contains several songs that where licensed through artlist.io
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2018, 10:04 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
on YouTube however at the end a film from a competitor was shown and started to load. That's I guess is the price you pay for a free account,
You can turn that off:

Under the video you want to embed select > Share > Embed. Then click > Show More to see additional options. Uncheck the box that says 'Show suggested videos when the video finishes'

All mine revert back to the first 'poster frame' of the video. I have found YT don't make it easy to find some features!
Old August 16th, 2018, 12:27 AM   #33
Trustee

I've not been totally happy with either Vimeo or YouTube for a variety of reasons over the years.

Seriously I've found Sony's Media Cloud Service to be pretty efficient and extremely flexible range of options. I signed on to this back in 2103 around the time it started. It's still there and rock solid. You have a choice of various plans, Individual, Team and Enterprise. For individuals you have everything from a free account with 5GB per month to a 25GB month plan for $10.00 to a 100GB month plan for $25. You can go way more flexible with team and enterprise accounts if you want. I've still got material up there going way back to 2013.

You can allow clients to view, download, comment etc. I've only ever had a small amount of material up there with copyright music and it has not been a problem so far. Have a look at this page and watch the video for an overview of SonyCI.

https://www.sonymcs.com/

and here if you just want to check out their pricing.

https://www.sonymcs.com/pricing/

For mass storage and client download but no play ability I use SendSpace. Used it for years and only had it offline for less than an hour. I use their Pro Base account for $9.00 month which gives me lifetime storage. Still have GBs of material stored up there as backups since 2013.

https://www.sendspace.com/premium_upgrade.html

If you use Sendspace I find the best way to work with it is via their SendSpace Wizard which is a free download. The GUI is just like having a second PC you are working to and from. Folders, sub folders etc, etc.

https://www.sendspace.com/download_tools.html

These two options have made life so much easier getting material up for clients to view and feedback on plus the storage options that they offer have have been well and truly used.

Touch wood not one security, upload or download issue with either one in five years. As previously mentioned only one very short outage with SendSpace while they were doing server upgrades. A big plus NO ADS to annoy clients, customers.

Chris Young
Attached Thumbnails
Vimeo alternatives-sony-ci.jpg  
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2018, 01:36 AM   #34
Inner Circle

An alternative that would give you complete control over your videos is to host the videos yourself & use JW Player or similar embedded in your web page. You can host the video files in the Cloud or on a VPS.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2018, 12:16 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Removed, wrong comment
Old August 16th, 2018, 12:23 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Young View Post
Seriously I've found Sony's Media Cloud Service to be pretty efficient
I have checked it out and made a free account and eventough it looked promising I couldn't find a way to embed videos on my site, is there a possibility to do that?

Quote:
For mass storage and client download but no play ability I use SendSpace
I just recently switched to a payed microsoft onedrive account to store films for clients to download, main reason was that it included 365office software at a very low price point, upload and download speeds are also great.
Old August 16th, 2018, 12:32 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Farrants View Post
You can turn that off:I have found YT don't make it easy to find some features!
Thx for the tip, I have tried that but on YouTube still other videos start to play but not on the embedded videos on my website, am I missing something here?

I also noticed that on my windows mobile Phone the embedded YouTube video on my website doesn't automatically load when I hit play, I need to press play a second time. The YouTube logo on the film on my Phone is also very big before you hit play, doesn't look very nice.
Old August 16th, 2018, 12:34 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
An alternative that would give you complete control over your videos is to host the videos yourself & use JW Player or similar embedded in your web page. You can host the video files in the Cloud or on a VPS.
No idea how to accomplish that, my website is from wordpress and currently I just add the vimeo link in a post, does that work the same way with videos that are stored in the cloud?
Old August 16th, 2018, 12:43 PM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
.... but on YouTube still other videos start to play but not on the embedded videos on my website, am I missing something here?
For non-embedded videos you can't, you can only turn it off on a logged in user by user basis by disabling 'Autoplay'.

I can't answer the Windows phone question, I've never used one (all iPhones here!)

As for self-hosting take a look at Amazon S3 - free for a year (with some data limits) then on per use/play basis, I paid around $2 per month when I had a few self-hosted videos on there.
Old August 16th, 2018, 01:18 PM   #40
Wrangler

Quote:
my website is from wordpress and currently I just add the vimeo link in a post, does that work the same way with videos that are stored in the cloud?I thi
I have a couple wordpress sites, but don't use either for video. But I have JetPack premium on one of those sites, which costs $100/year and includes 13gb (IIRC) of video hosting on their CDN. They also have other plans with more capacity. No idea how well this works, but it would be one way to "roll your own"

https://jetpack.com/features/design/video-hosting/

One of my sites from a small hosting company has unlimited storage/bandwidth and costs about $100/yr for hosting and registration. Like I said, I dont use video on that site, but there are a lot of Wordpress plugins that could provide a user interface.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2018, 01:25 PM   #41
Major Player

I did get this sent as a marketing email a few days ago, maybe worth a look: https://appsumo.com/vooplayer/
Old August 16th, 2018, 01:27 PM   #42
Wrangler

Quote:
I just recently switched to a payed microsoft onedrive account to store films for clients to download, main reason was that it included 365office software at a very low price point.
I also just got Office 365 personal (got tired of fighting with my old copy of Office 2008, haha). It's $60/year and includes 1TB of OneDrive storage plus the office app for my Mac, iPad and iPhone. Seems like an unusually good deal for Microsoft.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2018, 02:45 PM   #43
Inner Circle

Quote:
also just got Office 365 personal
I got the same, for just a bit more; 99euro you can get 5TB and office365 which was a surprise as I would expect this price for either the hosting or the software but not as a combination, this was a no-brainer for me as 1TB allready is plenty for my needs.
Old August 17th, 2018, 12:42 AM   #44
Inner Circle

Quote:
No idea how to accomplish that, my website is from wordpress and currently I just add the vimeo link in a post, does that work the same way with videos that are stored in the cloud?
There is of course a Wordpress plugin that will do this for you. In fact there is lots of info & documentation available on how to do this. LMGTFY
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2018, 12:45 AM   #45
Inner Circle

Quote:
I got the same, for just a bit more; 99euro you can get 5TB and office365 which was a surprise as I would expect this price for either the hosting or the software but not as a combination, this was a no-brainer for me as 1TB allready is plenty for my needs.
The best deal for storage is to sign up for G Suite for Business which gives you unlimited storage on Google Drive for $10/€8/£6.60 per month (the alleged 1TB limit for less than five users is not part of T&Cs & has never been enforced). I currently have over 20TB on Google Drive for £79.20.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques