Vimeo shut down my account - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 25th, 2018, 07:58 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Vimeo shut down my account

And during the reception of that same event I mentioned they could play that same song completely together with any other song for maybe 100euro as a fixed rate for background music.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2018, 11:45 AM   #32
Inner Circle

What I do for my clients now is host them on my website - it's no big deal bandwidth wise as there are not huge numbers of people wanting to watch, and it just saves messing with Vimeo - I had one warning, and this was unexpected because it because of accidental background sound picked up. It's a real pain when you spend time making sure you have the right licences, but Vimeo have to be convinced.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2018, 11:49 PM   #33
Trustee

Any licencing you have for a particular country doesn't apply if you host your videos on a US server, maybe there's a local alternative
Old October 26th, 2018, 01:47 AM   #34
Inner Circle

So you are saying that if I live in Europe and host my video's on a US server I can use whatever commercial song I want without having to pay for a license? Or do I understand it wrong?

Last edited by Noa Put; October 26th, 2018 at 05:45 AM. Reason: zpelling
Old October 26th, 2018, 05:15 AM   #35
Regular Crew

I believe my troubles started when I started using squarespace so could well be the case with the US servers flagging things up. Another question, what happens if we pay the limited liability licence to use copyright music on Dvd and don't put anything online but then the client puts their film online with the copyrighted music on it? Are we liable or are they?

Last edited by James Hollingsworth; October 26th, 2018 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Spelling
James Hollingsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2018, 06:08 AM   #36
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
So you are saying that if I live in Europe and host my video's on a US server I can use whatever commercial song I want without having to pay for a license? Or do I understand it wrong?
no, it's the other way around, regardless of the fact that I am in Australia and have an APRA/AMCOS licence I am hosting videos on a US site and have to comply with US law - they don't give a rats arse about our licencing system or that of any other country, and to be fair, nor should they. I have to find an Australian server to host videos.
Old October 26th, 2018, 06:16 AM   #37
Inner Circle

What does that APRA/AMCOS licence allow you to do? Does it allow licensing of popular commercial music, like something from Ed Sheeran, at a price similar to something from the musicbed?
Old October 26th, 2018, 06:19 AM   #38
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hollingsworth View Post
I believe my troubles started when I started using squarespace so could well be the case with the US servers flagging things up. Another question, what happens if we pay the limited liability licence to use copyright music on Dvd and don't put anything online but then the client puts their film online with the copyrighted music on it? Are we liable or are they?
That's a really interesting question James, my thought are that you have a licence to put the music on DVD which you have done. If the client uploads the clip to their vimeo, youtube, Facebook channel - they will be liable - not you. I actually include mention of the fact they they should not do this in correspondence to each client. My hope is that this absolves me from any action that might be taken, but it's a hope only, I have not obtained a legal opinion on the matter.
Old October 26th, 2018, 08:33 AM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
What does that APRA/AMCOS licence allow you to do? Does it allow licensing of popular commercial music, like something from Ed Sheeran, at a price similar to something from the musicbed?
I purchased songs from Songfreedom, some fairly popular like Maroon 5 & Lady Gaga. They were upwards of $60/song. I hosted on Vimeo no problem, as of yet I haven't had a takedown warning. However when I tried moving them to Youtube it was flagged and copyright/ads message was given? I thought since I purchased the songrights, ads shouldn't show. I reached out to Songfreedom and asked, they said the license only gives me the rights to use the song, but the artist can still request ads. So, essentially the same deal as if I purchased the song for $.99 cents online?

As of yet no vimeo warnings. Nervous about it. Hopefully those few hit songs are on a list of quasi-allowed songs, and its been skipped over. Methinks its more to do with millions of customers, and my account with a handful of weddings or so hosted just hasn't been dinged yet.

Not sure it answers you're APRA/AMCOS question per se, but just my related experience.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2018, 08:43 AM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Barnett View Post
I purchased songs from Songfreedom, some fairly popular like Maroon 5 & Lady Gaga. They were upwards of $60/song. I hosted on Vimeo no problem, as of yet I haven't had a takedown warning. However, when I tried moving them to Youtube it was flagged and copyright/ads message was given?
How is YouTube supposed to know that you have a license? The content id flagging is automatic.
Did you try to dispute it and refer to your license in the disputed text?
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2018, 09:12 AM   #41
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Barnett View Post
I purchased songs from Songfreedom
If there is one organisation where I would not recommend buying music from then it is Songfreedom, I also found a known song in their library years ago, I believe it was 25 dollar for a lifetime use, couldn't believe it because it was a popular group, long story short, Songfreedom said "no worries, you can use whereever and whenever you want, our license covers everything" while Sabam, the Belgian Association of Authors said to me their license had no value and that I would be invoiced by Sabam for using that music which would be a lot more then 25 dollar.

When I confronted Songfreedom with this they gave me some idiotic reasoning that made no sense at all.
Old October 26th, 2018, 09:16 AM   #42
Inner Circle

Quote:
Did you try to dispute it and refer to your license in the disputed text?
I want to make a bet that youtube won't accept Songfreedoms license, they are crooks, if those songs are used on Vimeo you can be sure it will be a matter of time before they will find out and slap him with a DMCA claim.
Old October 26th, 2018, 09:45 AM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
I want to make a bet that youtube won't accept Songfreedoms license, they are crooks, if those songs are used on Vimeo you can be sure it will be a matter of time before they will find out and slap him with a DMCA claim.
It is not up to YouTube, YouTube has nothing to do with it when you dispute the claim the communication is with the rights holder, not YouTube.

You'd better have a backup for your claim that Songfreedom "are crooks", it sounds defamatory to me.
Old October 26th, 2018, 09:47 AM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
I... Songfreedom said "no worries, you can use whereever and whenever you want, our license covers everything" .
That is not what their written license conditions actually say.

When you license something you should read the conditions.
Old October 26th, 2018, 11:01 AM   #45
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
You'd better have a backup for your claim that Songfreedom "are crooks", it sounds defamatory to me.
You bet I have proof about them lying to me, I still have the entire email conversation, because you almost have to be a laywer to interpret the fine print on these licenses I contacted them directly, explained how I wanted to use that commercial song and asked if their license would cover me in that case. They said yes, I then contacted Sabam and they said no and if I would use that song I would be invoiced a second time by sabam but for a much higher amount.

When I showed Sabams answer to Songfreedom they gave me a answer that didn't make sense and which had nothing to do with my specific use so I'd rather sing my own songs then use anything from Songfreedom.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques