Question for monopod users? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 14th, 2019, 02:54 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Question for monopod users?

I really wish running 2 cameras would prevent people blocking them. But I have on occasion done so and had people working for me run 2 cameras. It still happens. Difference is, with 2, you're reliant totally on your main camera. I like having multiple backups. A photographer blocking a camera is a minor nuisance for me. Plus I can afford to experiment a bit more. :)

As for setup. I have 2 shoulder bags for tripods and a Manfrotto trolley bag for my gear. Works very well. Setup time is brief, I do 85 Weddings a year. So have plenty of practise to set up and dismantle on my own very quickly.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2019, 05:48 AM   #17
Inner Circle

A tall tripod with a center column is what’s needed to get over peoples heads and prevent blocking. Anything over two tripods is difficult to transport and setup.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2019, 06:13 AM   #18
Trustee

I use a light stand that can go up very high. Issue is it's not as stable and I have sand bags for the base in dancefloor situations. However footage at eye level is preferred. I don't want all my cameras looking down from above. :)
I manage this and 3 tripods plus a monopod and have even walked half a mile carrying this equipment. But then again I do 18 mile walks every weekend, so count myself in good shape. Lol
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2019, 08:49 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
A tall tripod with a center column is what’s needed to get over peoples heads and prevent blocking. Anything over two tripods is difficult to transport and setup.
I never found a tripod that is tall enough to cover all eventualities. I tried clamping a long Manfrotto arm to the top but is was no more stable than a lightstand. The Cheetah self-collapsing big air-cushioned lightstands work great though I don't think you can buy them in the UK any more. For the dancefloor I put one right next to the DJ speaker stands and it blends in without being noticed whilst not getting blocked and doesn't get knocked about. They don't need sandbags or iron weights unless out on their own (in which case they spoil the photos). The Cheetahs can go very high but too high looks too "security" obviously. They are good at the back of big churches as well easily getting over the heads of standing guests.

I use Op-Tech tripod shoulder straps to transport the lightstands.
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2019, 10:06 AM   #20
Inner Circle

I use Manfrotto 028B max height is 89” plus your head. As long as it’s not a basketball wedding I don’t see how you could get blocked.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2855/KBID/3801
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2019, 11:34 AM   #21
Major Player

I got excited for a moment but ..... not quite high enough for me in some circumstances. I would find that as soon as the dancefloor fills up its going to get dominated by participants who are close to it; it wouldn't cope with a dance in which e.g. the couple are to be the subject in the middle and some of the guests are dancing in a circle around them - though I do also tend to stand on a chair holding another cam on a monopod for that. Likewise guests standing at the back of the church can dominate the composition e.g. during the recessional.

The Cheetah C12 is lighter, potentially much higher, and a lot less intrusive than the 028B though not as stable obviously, plus it doesn't collapse as short as the 028B so its less easy in a car:
https://www.cheetahstand.com/Cheetah...-C12-p/c12.htm
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2019, 06:41 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Baker View Post
When travelling my weapons of choice are a Gorillapod Focus and a Velbon Ultrastick 8 with a swivel head.
Hi Dave. What swivel head are you using on the Velbon Ultrastick 8, out of interest - presumably with a quick release plate ?
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2019, 07:24 AM   #23
Major Player

Hi Bryan

I use the Manfrotto 234RC swivel head, it takes the 200PL QR plate which I standardised on years ago and works just as happily with the X-T3 as it did with the old HF G30. I also have a 323RC adaptor on the Gorillapod (and all my other supports) for compatibility.
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2019, 11:22 AM   #24
Major Player

Thanks Dave. I'm considering a similar portable set-up for travel and events where a tripod or video monopod is not practical.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques