Mediazilla is really screwing it's existing customers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 26th, 2020, 03:37 AM   #1
Trustee

Mediazilla is really screwing it's existing customers

you've no doubt heard of the dramas with producing a USB or DVD via this platform - it used to be a seamless process which is why I joined last year but now ...

this is getting so bad it's actually funny - I now have to upload to the new system to share with the client who asks for a USB so I have to upload again to the old system to create that. The client then says "but I liked the menu I saw online, what can't I have that? and so I have to write " Dear Jennie, the owners of Mediazilla don't care what you want, they don't care what I want - they are too busy forging ahead into a brave new world of online europhia, confident in the knowledge that all the 20 something bearded hipsters are with them all the way. You might prefer a USB and your parents might even like a DVD and I'd be happy to supply them but not with the nice menu you saw - that's only for trendy millennials with the latest iphone and a smart TV whose parents and grandparents will just have to rely on their failing memory of the event. You might feel angry that you paid for a service that isn't delivering, well so am I but there's shit all we can do about it"
Old February 26th, 2020, 04:01 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Mediazilla is really screwing it's existing customers

We've been trying to move to all digital delivery but people still want a physical copy. It's a wedding. They want to go to grandmas house and pop a DVD into her old player so she can pretend she can see it. The closest we have come is online delivery with 1 USB stick. But most still want a DVD for that sole reason, grandma!

Also, by delivering a physical copy we can be sure that their wedding is now no longer our responsibility and the job is done.

Im all for new tech. Im not some old boy who thinks VHS is still the way.

For digital delivery im just sticking to Vimeo. We all probably have one and it seemed pointless to pay for that AND mediazilla. I create clients their own URL which goes directly to their portfolio where I can upload all their films. As our films are 10mins or less we dont bother with DVD menus anyway as there are no chapters and you just watch it. Seemed pointless giving a menu to play their only film.

Its also about expectation. What happens when you watch a movie on Netflix or Amazon Prime? You just hit play? You dont choose it and then get a sub menu letting you choose the chapter (its a movie, you have never needed chapters for a film, you watch it from start to finish). People also always want things for less and not creating menus and cover art saved time and cost for them.

Mediazilla for me is also way WAY too expensive and all the big names who tout it and preach aren't actually paying for it.
Old February 26th, 2020, 11:10 PM   #3
Trustee

I just really liked the option to create a menu (my wedding are divided into prep, ceremony, reception etc) and then depending on what the client wanted I could produce USB, DVD or simply online. Naturally I'd prefer online - it's easier but that's not what the client wants and if we can't deliver what the client wants then there's something wrong with our business model - pity Mediazilla didn't think about that before their big change
Old February 27th, 2020, 07:46 AM   #4
Regular Crew

It appears Vimeo has implemented a limited chapter mark and menu capability.
Luke Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2020, 11:17 AM   #5
Major Player

Really? Do tell me more? I should perhaps sign up to a newsletter or something.

Vimeo is always my prefered option. Like I said, no way Im paying for vim hosting and mediazilla.
Old February 28th, 2020, 07:35 AM   #6
Regular Crew

https://vimeo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a...48371-Chapters

Currently restricted to desktop only and doesn't work with embedded videos.
Luke Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2020, 07:35 PM   #7
Trustee

I used to use the Vimeo Collections to create a menu for wedding clients, works well if you have seperate videos
Old March 2nd, 2020, 03:15 AM   #8
Major Player

This is what we use too Paul. Simple but then again no one books us based on the final presentation. Its all about the product itself. We can include our own social links, track using google analytics and also give them a custom URL like this one The Collected works of Minty Slippers - Hannah & Kyle - Directors Cut on Vimeo

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques