Switching to USB flash drive distribution at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 16th, 2023, 08:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Switching to USB flash drive distribution

Hello all - looking for some comments & advice. I think this is the year I will finally offer USB flash drive option for delivery of dance recitals. Anyone have comments or advice on what format is the most compatible with most smart tv's? How does this work for anyone that has gone down this road? The only thing I have found so far is the fornat of the usb flash drive should be exFat for best compatibility.

DVD has had a good run , but people have started asking for USB flash drive option.

** by format I am asking what video codec etc. thanks

Last edited by Dave Barnes; April 16th, 2023 at 08:01 AM. Reason: added codec
Dave Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2023, 03:21 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Switching to USB flash drive distribution

Eventhough exfat will play on mac and pc many tv's might not recognize the format and that can result in many client complaining it won't play on their tv, my old samsung HD tv is happy with NTFS formatted usb sticks and as far as I know Mac can read the format as well so I would format the sticks to NTFS. The easiest fileformat that will play on anything is a HD file in .mp4 (h.264) codec.

You also might consider just offering a option to provide a download link which is way less work, in such a case you have to agree a fixed amount for your work since that link can be easily shared to those that don't want to pay, that is also the case with usb sticks which can be shared with family and/or friends who can copy it to their pc for free.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2023, 09:32 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Barnes View Post
Hello all - looking for some comments & advice. I think this is the year I will finally offer USB flash drive option for delivery of dance recitals. Anyone have comments or advice on what format is the most compatible with most smart tv's? How does this work for anyone that has gone down this road? The only thing I have found so far is the fornat of the usb flash drive should be exFat for best compatibility.

DVD has had a good run , but people have started asking for USB flash drive option.

** by format I am asking what video codec etc. thanks
I format the USB3 pen in NTFS and copy an MP4 file to it and never had any problems with a bride saying it won't play. I use handbrake to encode the MP4 file.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2023, 06:40 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Noa & Anthony - thanks for the tips - I will try that out with a sample and see how compatible it seems.
Old June 16th, 2023, 07:46 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm doing digital delivery of individual dances through Smugmug.

This year I delivered full recitals through Dropbox and OneDrive.

I've thought about the USB thing, but wasn't sure the best route for that.

I still offer DVD and BluRay through Kunaki and have lots of parents still order those too.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques