How long are your wedding DVDs? What sort of content is in them? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 1st, 2005, 08:27 PM   #1
Trustee

How long are your wedding DVDs? What sort of content is in them?

1. How long? 20minutes edited? 1 hour? 2 hours?

2. In terms of content, do you have it focused on the wedding itself and that's it? Do you include a documentary style short on how they met or one of those growing up slideshows? Do you tell a story with it?

3. What do you find is the most successful? Telling a story with the DVD or just raw footage edited.

*remember, cost isn't an issue, it's what you've actually done. most of the threads here in this wedding event forum usually devolves into "if they pay for it, i give it to 'em, gotta charge 'em, i ain't doin it for charity..." bla bla bla. the purpose isn't that, the purpose is i'm curious as to see what you've actually giving them.*
Old December 1st, 2005, 08:57 PM   #2
Inner Circle

An hour and a half to two hours. Documentary edit cutting out the bad stuff. Usually an opening scenic to music. Sometimes a "guest montage" to music. I'll do a cocktail hour montage to music also. Everything else is nat sound documentary style. I find lots of clients are quite happy with a well edited piece in which they get to see as much as possible. I'm also finding that even just a few years later when some guests have passed on, they're happy they've gotten something that includes everyone one can get at the tables and dancing and any of those great candid moments. There's no "right" way but it's my way and that's the kind of clients I target/attract.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 09:14 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I do short form. 45-55 minutes. I'll include bridal prep(set to music), prelude to ceremony, shortened ceremony, post ceremony(set to music), reception and recap (set to music). Times generally breakdown to 3-6 minutes for prep and prelude to ceremony,10-15 minutes for ceremony, 3-4 minutes for post ceremony, 18-22 minutes for reception and 3-4 minutes for recap. Please bear in mind these are not set in stone and I won't fall over if I go 60 minutes instead of 55. As for telling the story, I use a lot of voiceovers from the bride and groom as well as from other people during prep and the recap WHEN IT FITS, I emphasize that because sometimes it just doesn't so I don't use it.
I also include an uncut version of the ceremony and reception (up to 2 hours of reception) so they don't feel they are missing anything but frankly the B&Gs I've talked to usually don't watch that but maybe once so they can say they did, but I include it as a family archive.
So I guess I'm a storyteller with "cinematic" style portions. Pacing is everything.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 07:35 AM   #4
Regular Crew

My current "basic" package DVD is about an hour to an hour and a half in lengh and includes:

Wedding (duh!)
First dance of Bride and Groom
Bridesmaid/Best man Toasts
Cake Cuting
All "Special Dances" (Bride/Father, Mother/Groom, etc).
Last Dance of Bride and Groom.
Montage of general dances or the best general dances of the night (1-2 songs).

Then I also add in (as a supprise to bride and groom) - a section that has guests give well wishs to the couple on tape - Basically give the guest a mic and have them say whatever they want to the new couple. Seems to be the biggest tear-jerker for them.

Ryan
Ryan DesRoches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 07:48 AM   #5
Regular Crew

My main program runs 20-30 minutes. I time compress everything to keep a compelling short program. Full ceremony, toasts etc. end up as seperate menu items.

I suppose when you add it all up there is about 1.5 hours of edited footage but I almost never go past 30 minutes on the main program. That is prep through recep.

Mike
Mike Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 08:16 AM   #6
Major Player

2-1/2 TO 3-1/2 HRS ON 2 DISCS.

In addition to a highlight video, I provide lots of raw video. I let people see their wedding day without a lot of fluff. I don't feel it's my job to be the couple's biographer - I'm there to provide professional coverage of their wedding day.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 08:49 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu

2. In terms of content, do you have it focused on the wedding itself and that's it? Do you include a documentary style short on how they met or one of those growing up slideshows? Do you tell a story with it?

3. What do you find is the most successful? Telling a story with the DVD or just raw footage edited.

*remember, cost isn't an issue, it's what you've actually done. most of the threads here in this wedding event forum usually devolves into "if they pay for it, i give it to 'em, gotta charge 'em, i ain't doin it for charity..." bla bla bla. the purpose isn't that, the purpose is i'm curious as to see what you've actually giving them.*
Actually I've been working on one for the last 2 weeks, 8 hours of raw footage, 3 cams, the final DVD will be as follows:

Main Menu:
Ceremony with Chapter Index Page
Reception with Chapter Index Page

Bonus Menu:
Music Video Montage to their song
Bridge/Groom getting ready with back story interview audio
After the ceremony pictures
Full friends & family interviews (all may not make it to reception cut)
Bloopers or special moments (isolated groom audio if interesting)

In total I'll compress all this down to 2 hours.

Miguel
Old December 2nd, 2005, 10:02 AM   #8
Trustee

very interesting. everyone has a little different creative spin on things. very kewl =). keep it coming.
Old December 3rd, 2005, 07:54 PM   #9
Major Player

In my opinion, you must first decide how you would want your ideal wedding to look as a finished product. This is a soul searching process. It involves your shooting technique, how you would arrange a story board, the editing process, chaptering the dvd; everything you put into the project.

The end result is your ideal wedding. Mine includes my least expensive product as well as all of the accessory packages. What happens next depends upon what actually happens during the wedding celebration.

What your client chooses from your product offerings and what actually happens during the wedding celebration day will determne, in very general terms, how much videotape your will record. How you edit that video will determine the final length of the video.

I provide a 30-60 second introduction, which might be followed by a:
- 5 to 15 minute photo montage.
- 30 minute interview sequence.
- 30 minute preparation sequence.
- 5 minute pre-ceremony sequence.
- 15 - 45 minute unedited ceremony sequence.
- 3-5 minute post ceremony sequence.
- 1-2 minute photo session sequence
- 30 to 60 minute reception sequence.
- 3 to 5 minute closing sequence.

Again, so much depends upon what actually happens. My shortest wedding reception video has been 27 minutes. My longest close to four hours.
Old December 3rd, 2005, 11:17 PM   #10
Major Player

Waldemar's speaking wisdom... With the "style" that I use (very much influenced by Sir Wink!) there is simply no way to pre-determine the length...the event itself should somehow "lead" you to what it wants to be. If you're looking to have something to say in your website's FAQ you might want to layout an average as opposed to a hard number...say anywhere from 45min to 3hrs depending on package chosen and the natural creative flow of the event. At full quality you'll get about an hour and a half on a single DVD so that may be a factor for you.

I really don't know how to describe it without getting a bit mystical, but to me it should be sort of like riding a river from the moment you arrive till it's over...shoot all the good stuff, every time you start rolling keep in mind how the moment will transition in and out, then when you get your footage in your NLE each clip should just make sense as to whether or not it goes or stays. String the keepers into order and then start shaping, cutting and merging till it just pops out on its own....whatever lenght it is is whatever length it is.
Daniel Runyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 12:03 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Yup, just tell the story. When you're done, that's how long it is.

Mike
Mike Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 04:09 AM   #12
Inner Circle

((Try 2.5 hours each disc for a maco wedding across 2 discs... maybe 3 depending on whats happening... Highliths anythign between 10 to 30 minutes...
normal weddings i cut between 60 to 90 mins... with 10 to 20 mins Hlites.. ))

((Growing up slideshow is VERY popular... especially when upselling for projection at teh reception.. same with mini movies and Interviews.. To me its the characters whch i focus on... firstly obviously its about the bride and groom, then i expand outward from there.. but there HAS TO BE character.... if i notic there isnt much going on, i get into it and party with the guests (with cam in hand) they usually start to play for the camera after they realise im human too.. ))

((Depends on how to u tell the story.. I run it as a swuence of events through the day...
ive posted a while back about what is usually presented cinematically and what isnt.. usually preps are montage pieces with tunes.. then theres a ceremony opening as another montage, then the cereony, which is a cinematic piece, then the photoshoot montage.. then the reception opening as another montage, then the reception which is finely cut.. the only montage element at the reception is the Bridal Waltz, and maybe the dance music element in the highlights piece))

*remember, cost isn't an issue, it's what you've actually done. most of the threads here in this wedding event forum usually devolves into "if they pay for it, i give it to 'em, gotta charge 'em, i ain't doin it for charity..." bla bla bla. the purpose isn't that, the purpose is i'm curious as to see what you've actually giving them.

((As to what is actually given to them.. well, it depends my chepaer packages dont use film like colour grading or progressive scan or widescreen. Chepaer plans also dont come with Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound.. all these are options later on if they choose to add them.. larger packages include hilights, 5.1, widescreen, effects, filters, compositing, particle effects, elemental montages (such as cars.. i do ALOT of euro weddings with 15+ vehicles and theres always afew burnouts... i also stop on teh side of the road and get drive bys etc etc.. it depends on the client. I also give stills on CD (i do this for my own marketting anyway, )) but i upsell the packages with these extra elements..
If im competing for a job, i usually throw something in as an extra for free... usually sweetens the deal for them to come to me...
As for money, well i wouldnt expect anyone to charge peanuts and give the works unless theyre starting out in this line of work, but even to this day, i feel that im undercharging, however our market HERE is different so its a bit of a bitch..

as for Raw... i never give out raws unless im really REALLY late with a delivery.. if it pacifies a client so be it.. i usually charge extra for raws (dvd and DV are different prices.. )
Nothign is free anymore.. i used to give out so much when i started at this but then realised ppl dont give a shit about the extras.

The hardest thing for me to accept, was that the clients just want a nicely cut video of their weddings.. everything else is a bonus..
Trust me on that..

to me, this mentality defeated the purpose of doing what i learnt to do, as only 30% of what i know is actually utlised within a wedding piece.. i can always add things to my work, but the time it takes and the money im making just isnt worth my while anymore to jsut throw this in... (unless i really like the clients and they end up becoming close friends) At the end of the day, if the client is happy to pay for it, ill give them whatever they want...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 10:52 AM   #13
Trustee

re: money.

i understand and realize that. one shouldn't be working 4 free. if it's a job/career, you *should* be paid for it. but like getting gas, you have 87, 89, 91, etc. different grades or "packages" for different prices. i don't need to know about that. what i really want are statistics. how many vehicles came to get 1/2 tank from which "package" or grade of gas. how many vehicles total came in a single day, etc.

same with these threads i'm making. i'm interested in what is actually accomplished, not how people are paid for what they do. of course one should get compensated. but i'm already assuming that. what i wanna know is what people have actually done/produced! it is very very interesting! everyone has different takes on things. i luv it.
Old December 5th, 2005, 11:24 AM   #14
Inner Circle

I'll ditto most of what is said. I have found that videoing people that will or have passed on is an invaluable gift.

I do however stop my video services at the door of the honeymoon. I lack zoning to continue further.
Old December 19th, 2005, 09:17 AM   #15
Major Player

I keep my wedding video at max 40 min. It has to be interesting every minute. Longer video is boring for people (certeinly 2-3 hours) who are not close related to the couple. During editing I always keep in mind: 'Imagine sitting and watching a wedding video from somebody else who I don't know well and I have to watch it'. So make it interesting and professional. Don't overuse effects and wipes.

If the people say afterwards to me the video looked great and they though it was 15 min (while they wached for 40 min) then I'm happy.
The end of the movie is always a 3 min clip which is a compilation of the highlights of the day edited on music of their wedding openingsdance or another song they prefer.

I also offer this 3 min compilation as a webstreaming video. So they can show it to their frends. It gave me a lot of extra jobs giving that clip for free. It creates a free advertisement because it has been shared with all their frends and thus possible new clients.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques