Live Event Production and Delivery at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 19th, 2005, 02:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Live Event Production and Delivery

Im in a bit of a dilemma here. Im going to have to produce a live event, a series of them actually which will be broadcasted on the Internet (only!).
There will be 8 cameras in total but not more than 3 will be shooting simultaneously, but I do have to make seamless, ON THE FLY transitions between them. The cameras will be in different physical locations, so the video will be transmitted via the internet to the control center, and then out to the broadcast servers. Pre-recorded segments will be inserted into the program as well.

What do I need to have in order to make the production process seamless? What kind of workstation/equipment is required for the on-the-fly editing/production of a live event?

This is pretty long term, but the budget isn’t really that big, so I don’t think I can afford multi-hundred thousand dollar setup.

If anyone has any insight on this, please share.

Thanks
Old December 19th, 2005, 05:02 PM   #2
Wrangler

I assume you mean that you need to mix live video? The current issue (Jan 2006) of DV Magazine has a feature review Going Mobile: Live Production Switcher Roundup. They cover the Newtek Tricaster, Sony Anycast, Datavideo SE-800DV and Focus MX-4 switchers.

Personally I'm not that interested in this topic so I just flipped through the review, but you might find it helpful.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
I assume you mean that you need to mix live video? The current issue (Jan 2006) of DV Magazine has a feature review Going Mobile: Live Production Switcher Roundup. They cover the Newtek Tricaster, Sony Anycast, Datavideo SE-800DV and Focus MX-4 switchers.

Personally I'm not that interested in this topic so I just flipped through the review, but you might find it helpful.

Saw the Tricaster at NAB and it was pretty impressive. FWIW.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 05:19 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Live Channel Pro is really cool. It's a software video mixer.

http://www.channelstorm.com/

I don't know if it'll work for you- it may or may not be possible to get multiple analog or firewire inputs. Analog inputs may be better because firewire/digital signals degrade quickly with length.

2- If your mixer only has 4 inputs, you can do the cheesy thing and get mini video switchers. You cannot switch live with them at all, but you can switch the input when the live feed isn't coming from that mixer input.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 11:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I should pick up the DV Mag, if thats available in canada.

The thing is..... 6 out of 8 cameras will not be in the same building as the production, and the signal will be transmitted via the internet, so Im going to have 6 virtual cameras so to speak, which all be streaming video to a single location (the studio) where it can be re-broadcasted tot he audience.

Tricaster looks quite impressive. Does it support 8+ cameras?

I was also suggested the Sony Anycast Station
http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...ycastnew.shtml

it carries a hefty pricetag, and doesn't seem to pack a lot of features.

EDIT:

Did some more research and I found this - http://www.planetdv.net/Content/By_M..._Toaster_4.asp

Im confused about the inputs, there are 4 different kinds....

# 8 Component inputs
# 8 Y/C inputs
# Up to 24 Composite inputs
# Unlimited DV inputs

Im going to have 2-3 DV cams on location with physical access to the workstation.... and 6 remote cameras which will push video to the server via the internet. Can this be done?

Last edited by Yegor Sak; December 20th, 2005 at 12:11 AM.
Yegor Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 01:26 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yegor Sak
Im going to have 6 virtual cameras so to speak, which all be streaming video to a single location (the studio) where it can be re-broadcasted tot he audience.
what format will the incoming video be streamed with? if it'll be coming at you via wmv or something, make sure that your hardware has inputs that can handle the codec.

a windows media server can take a single incoming wmv stream and re-broadcast it over the internet in multiple streams, but i don't know what, if any, switching functionality it would have.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 09:51 PM   #7
Major Player

If you have any budget for this, even a small one, I would recommend hiring a professional consultant. The time they save you, and the knowledge they provide, will save you more than the cost of their fee. They'll help you with your specific requirements and if your budget is workable then they can help you create a complete system that will last you for years.

What your looking to do is not something to just jump into. Not only are you running a live feed, but your streaming the content as well. You'll want some professional advice for those two items from people who've done that type of production work before.

Companies provide consulting but the cost is normally higher than working with an idividual. But individuals who offer consulting for a living are harder to find than companies who offer the service.

Kevin Dooley, a member of this site and a great guy, is someone you may want to contact. His company deals with live install and production extensively and they do a great job.

Another great place to look would be to call Tim Eason from Churchmedia.net. I don't know if he consults himself (although he may) but he will certainly know who does and could put you in touch with that person(s). I won't post the phone number here but if you go to their site they have it under the contact info. A church consultant has to work with a large variety of installations and budgets and would probably fit your needs and budget the best.

If this is a performance based production (not just making tapes to sell later) then bringing in an outside consultant is the best move you'll make.

Ben Lynn
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 04:07 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Euritt
what format will the incoming video be streamed with? if it'll be coming at you via wmv or something, make sure that your hardware has inputs that can handle the codec.

a windows media server can take a single incoming wmv stream and re-broadcast it over the internet in multiple streams, but i don't know what, if any, switching functionality it would have.
Virtual cameras will be pushing the video to the workstation, with media encoder 9. My biggest concern is for that to be possible with multiple cameras at the same time.

Thanks for the info Ben, I was planning on getting one for the actual set up... but I want to get the feel for it myself so Im not a total blank.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques