When do you use tripod at the weddings? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 2nd, 2006, 04:34 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel
For tripods we currently use Davis Sanford ProVista models. They work really well for a $250 tripod. For monopods we use the Varizoom StealthPod, which also works very well for a $100 monopod. I've seen monopods for half that cost, but I can' tell you if they are any good or not.
1) I see two varieties of DS ProVista tripods (at B&H Photo) either with a DS FM18 ($200) or FM12 Head ($150) -- I don't see anybody with just the ProVista legs. What heads do you use and how do they compare to say, the Manfrotto 801 head?

2) The $99 Varizoom Stealthpod looks EXACTLY like the Libec MP66V Monopod (list $59 which I've seen for as low as $43 on the net). Same quick-release head assembly, same min/max heights, same flip-locks as the Stealthpod.

While the Varizoom/Libec quick-release monopod head seems appealing at first, it would make more sense to have a QR mount that fit BOTH the monopod and the tripod. And I would think that a longer QR plate would be better (like the Bogen 3433PL or 501LONG QR plates) to center the camcorder's weight over the Tri/Mono-pods heads, especially when using wide-angle or telephoto lens?
Marc Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 04:35 PM   #17
Inner Circle

We use the FM12 heads. We have 3 tripods. One is very smooth. The second is smooth once it's moving but can hiccup on start. The third isn't all that smooth. Bottom line, I would say the FM12 heads are inconsistent.

For us it's not a big deal. One of our 3 cameras goes unmanned in a wide shot, so it goes on the least smooth tripod.

Regarding the monopod, yes, there are cheaper models out there. I can't speak to their quality at all. It WOULD be much nicer to have a QR plate that fit BOTH the tripods and the monopods. When I bought the StealthPods I hadn't factored that in. Duh.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 05:00 PM   #18
Capt. Quirk

I remember the only wedding I shot, I was doing a 2 cam shoot, and had my brand new XL1s locked down on the tripod. The wedding was held in a backyard, and as I was circulating with the GL1, I noticed a 4 year old boy grab the tripod in both hands, and start shaking the snot out of it. Man I wanted to punt him over the fence!

So, I guess my answer would be, only use the tripod when you can have somebody on it. NEVER leave it unattended!
Old March 2nd, 2006, 05:09 PM   #19
Inner Circle

I had a similar situation that I believe I mentioned earlier. Leaving a camera unnatended is definitely a risk. Usually our 3rd camera is in a position that avoids issues with people, but unfortunately . . not always. d:-)
Old March 3rd, 2006, 02:27 PM   #20
Inner Circle

I shoot on a tripod which is on a dolly. I have done most of my weddings this way. Obviously, if I need to run and gun, I don't run people over with it, I'll just pull it off the pod.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 02:30 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
I had a similar situation that I believe I mentioned earlier. Leaving a camera unnatended is definitely a risk. Usually our 3rd camera is in a position that avoids issues with people, but unfortunately . . not always. d:-)
Hey Travis, nice looking website. I was nosey and got some ideas from it.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 02:53 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Steven:
What part of the wedding do you shoot on your tripod/dolly?

Also, now I'm going to be nosey . . . what ideas did you get from my website? I like to know what works for people and what doesn't. d:-)
Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:11 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Steven:
What part of the wedding do you shoot on your tripod/dolly?

Also, now I'm going to be nosey . . . what ideas did you get from my website? I like to know what works for people and what doesn't. d:-)
I like the color you have with the pictures. I didn't dig too deep, I did check your prices etc. I applaud you for your front page with all the cut images and such, the last time I did that I cursed too loudly. hehe. Seriously, my complements.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:31 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Thanks. You're right, it's a pain to get the right snapshot for a video. I just redesigned my website like a week ago, so I'm glad to hear you liked the look. The old website fit the style of my advertising agency website (www.dreambigproductions.com), which just doesn't fit with weddings. I just got a compliment from a bride today too, so I guess I made the right move!

Now, back to you using a dolly during weddings. When exactly do you use the dolly for shots?
Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:42 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
When exactly do you use the dolly for shots?
If I can, I'll use it the whole time from start to finish, I typically use multi camera so if I roam, I really like to use my dolly. I did well with my dolly purchase, It's a quickset heavy duty tripod, I picked it up for 10 dollars at a yard sale a videographer was having.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:46 PM   #26
Inner Circle

So do you just room around the back and the outside, or do you actually move a dolly around up by the B&G during the ceremony? I'm thinking of the weddings I've done I have a really hard time imagining moving a dolly around during the ceremony without being obtrusive.

Also, do you use the dolly just to move to a position to get a shot or are you shooting shots while moving the dolly?

Sorry for all the ?'s, it's just that the idea of using a dolly during a wedding is intriguing to me. d:-)
Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:56 PM   #27
Inner Circle

I picked up a used Bogen tripod dolly from B&H, and I'm hoping it will be usable for weddings.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:58 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
So do you just room around the back and the outside, or do you actually move a dolly around up by the B&G during the ceremony? I'm thinking of the weddings I've done I have a really hard time imagining moving a dolly around during the ceremony without being obtrusive.

Also, do you use the dolly just to move to a position to get a shot or are you shooting shots while moving the dolly?

Sorry for all the ?'s, it's just that the idea of using a dolly during a wedding is intriguing to me. d:-)
Most of the time I've used the dolly, the Bride will come in the center back, or back side door. If that is the case, I will be in the back opposite face to catch her come through the door. Then what I would do is trail behind her after she clears me. Using the dolly has allowed me to really deal with moving around the back.

Nope, I don't come out of the back shadows so to speak, I don't use the dolly in the front of the ceremony.

The place a tripod really pays off other than the brides walk is, during the dance. I had a couple do a fast dance on me for thier dance. It was on a tile floor and I was able to spin opposite around them counter to thier spin. It really turned out neat.

That 10 bucks was the best I have ever speant. I've priced my dolly around 250.00 I was blessed to get it for so little.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 05:05 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis
It was on a tile floor and I was able to spin opposite around them counter to thier spin.
Do you ever have trouble with vibration, from the wheels rolling on less than smooth floors, when shooting something like that?
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 05:06 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Wow. $10? That IS a steal.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques