Web Demo Comments at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 18th, 2006, 05:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Web Demo Comments

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for comments and input on some new demo videos I just loaded onto my site. I'm wondering if it takes too long for the video to load, and also wouldn't mind critique of my work.

My Site

Thanks,
Matt
Old January 18th, 2006, 05:25 PM   #2
Major Player

hi matt. i'm on a t3 here, and i stopped waiting after a couple of minutes of "buffering" in wmp. i tried to check out the vows video. it kept bouncing from 10% to 13% back to 10%... how big are your files, if you don't mind me asking?
A.J. Briones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 06:46 PM   #3
Major Player

Size of Video

The vows are only 11.9MB @ 741kbps.

When I try to play the clips on the computers in my studio they do what you have described. However, I believe my network is setup a little funny... so I attributed it to that. On the computers at the office next door to me the video loads fine (buffers in about 10 seconds). I have tried on my home computer and the video starts up fine. Starts up fine on 3-4 friends computers as well.

Any Ideas?
Old January 18th, 2006, 07:15 PM   #4
Major Player

i'm now at the studio, and after a couple of minutes, i'm at 77% buffering... frankly, i would have quit by now, but i'll stick around.

about 4-5 minutes of buffering later, it's now playing. i'm on a wireless airport network over cable.
Old January 18th, 2006, 07:18 PM   #5
Trustee

I'm on a 1MB DSL and the vows video took just under two minutes to buffer using WMP 10.

You need to fix "vary" on your wedding page. ;)
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 07:39 PM   #6
Major Player

Fixed vary to very. It has been that way for a year now, and I never noticed it, lol, thanks.

Any suggestions... new host? Should 750kbps vbr be too much?

Should I take this over to the DVD / Web Streaming Board?

Thanks,
Matt
Old January 18th, 2006, 07:45 PM   #7
Major Player

it's only 11mb, so it has to be your host. this should have loaded just about instantly earlier today when i was on the t3.

please bear in mind, however, that your host may be having an off day. i wouldn't write them off just yet based on some impatient goon from southern cali.
Old January 18th, 2006, 08:10 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I just tried your clips as well, and it's definitely taking longer than you want it to. Brides won't be as patient probably.

I think your host is probably the issue. For an 11MB file the buffering should take WAYYY less time.
Old January 19th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #9
Major Player

Try Again?

Would anybody who tried this yesterday care to empty their browser cache and try again today? Havn't changed hosts but I have looked into different options. Does anybody use PlayStream? $22.00 for 100MB storage and 4GB transfer / month. 1 cent per Megabyte over the transfer limit.

I currently have the videos on the same host as my website. I get 1000MB storage and 10GB Transfer for $14.95 / month @ Hypermart.net. Maybe it just isn't a good server for a fast continuous download?

Recommendations are welcome!

Thanks,
Matt
Old January 19th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trubac
I currently have the videos on the same host as my website. I get 1000MB storage and 10GB Transfer for $14.95 / month @ Hypermart.net. Maybe it just isn't a good server for a fast continuous download?

Recommendations are welcome!

Thanks,
Matt
Hi Matt,

You are severely overpaying for your hosting services and they are not giving you much in return. I would suggest you host your media files on another host such as:

www.bluehost.com
www.inmotionhosting.com
www.godaddy.com
www.powweb.com

Right now 10-15 GB of space and 250 GB of transfer is the norm for about $6.95-$7.95
Walter S. Chelliah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 03:03 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I own/operate a marketing and advertising agency and part of what we do is website development. If you're looking for the best hosting out there, check out these guys.

www.startlogic.com

Usually it is $7.50 a month for 5GB and 100BG of transfer. Right now, however, you can get your 1st year for just $50 (just $30 if you transfer your domain name to them - I'd recommend this because then your domain name fees are included in your future hosting cost, saving you even more). You can't beat that. Also, these guys are on their game. I've used them for a while now and their customer service is top notch.
Old January 19th, 2006, 03:22 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for comments and input on some new demo videos I just loaded onto my site. I'm wondering if it takes too long for the video to load, and also wouldn't mind critique of my work.

My Site

Thanks,
Matt
Matt, I had no issues playing pre and post ceremony. Took like 10 sec to buffer and start playing in WMP. I'm only on my cable modem. Nice job.
Bill Schoaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

My Site

Thanks,
Matt
The download was ok for me.

In general, I think the colors could be a bit more saturated? The clips look like they were brightened and it's giving them a bit of a washed out look in my opinion. ..maybe my eyes are failing ...dunno
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 04:50 PM   #14
Trustee

www.1and1.com is the best I've found for bandwidth. 1.5TB (yes, 1,500 GB) of transfer for $20 a month. $10 per month for "only" 1,000GB. 30GB storage.

I've only been using them for a few weeks, and they are blazingly fast. Plus they have great site building tools.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 05:58 PM   #15
Major Player

Sorry-this was a double post by mistake. Is there a way to delete a post once you've got it up?
Vincent Croce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques