Does this sound silly to anyone else? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 20th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #1
Capt. Quirk

Does this sound silly to anyone else?

Register Today For World Record Wedding Video Shoot

WEVA NewsLink: http://www.weva.com/cgi-bin/newsread...i&storyid=3198

Be a part of world history! Professional videographers can now register for “The World Record Wedding Video Event” and secure their place in recording history when the event unfolds in Sacramento, CA next month. Registration is already underway at www.wevainstitute.com as a special feature of the 2006 WEVA Institute program schedule.

Originated by the Sacramento Professional Videographers Association (SPVA) and co-sponsored by the Wedding & Event Videographers Association International (WEVA), “The World Record Wedding Video Event” will set a new world record next month for the number of cameras to professionally videotape an actual wedding ceremony.

Special behind-the-scenes segments of the event will be streamed on WEVA-TV at www.weva.com.

The record-setting event will be videotaped at the beautiful Library Galleria in Sacramento, CA on Wednesday, February 15, 2006. Professional development workshops, including a focus on this incredible production from behind-the-scenes, and the inaugural screening of the event’s “Same Day Edit,” produced by WEVA International members, will be presented in conjunction with the record-setting camera coverage.

“'The World Record Wedding Video Event' will offer a unique combination of cutting-edge education for videographers and worldwide promotion of professional wedding videography,” said WEVA International’s Director of Educational Development John Zale.

“Limited to 100 professional videographers, this world record-setter will feature well over a 100 cameras. It will be a landmark event for both the professional bridal industry and the professional wedding video industry,” said SPVA President Mike Jensen. “The local and national media coverage, including international streaming of this special event promises to bring wedding videography tremendous publicity. And, videographers will be able to promote their own experience in this history-making event."

In describing the amazing camera set-ups that will be utilized, Jensen noted the Galleria is a “huge, beautiful room that will allow us to place a large majority of the cameras in the wrap-around balcony above and behind the guests. Others cameras will be placed in traditional positions on the main floor in the rear and on the sides. We will use the GrizzlyPro remote cams unobrusively behind the altar. A rack of HD cams will be placed at the far side of the room as a camera comparison. And yes, there will be cameras at the altar.”
Old January 20th, 2006, 10:58 PM   #2
New Boot

Yes, this is ridiculous. Can anyone say overkill?
Greg Cotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 02:24 PM   #3
Major Player

This was pretty well discussed at VU, and the guy who invented it even showed up to tell his side of it. But after one round of comments, he made no further follow-ups, nor did he answer questions. It is indeed silly, and just another case of lying about what something really is. There are NOT 100 videographers. There is one sound track and 100+ cameras locked down, mostly in rows on elevated pipes, some tucked in unusual spots. A couple of rovers. It is not clear if there will be more than one edit done, but it appears that it is mostly about press releases and possibly equipment vendors. I am not sure if participation would be something you want on your resume or not, but my guess is NOT.

So wedding videography is about setting up cameras. Don't worry about whether your guy can record sound, don't worry about how different videographers edit, or how they tell a story, or how they pose the couple for some "memory/fantasy footage" or how much fun they are or anyhting else. This guy would have you believe that the number of cameras is all the matters, and that anyone who can set up a camera on a locked down tripod (where he is told to do it) is a videographer.
Old January 21st, 2006, 04:31 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I had some Interest

I had some interest in going to the shoot just to see the big time wedding videographers. I live in the area. But when I went to the site to consider joining the group, I noted one of the requirement was that you have to have "professional" association credentials and have shot 15 weddings. I only have four under my belt..

The other qualification is you have to give them $ 125, but it gets you lunch and dinner and a DVD. Then you can come back the next day for another meeting with them for a "debrief" for additional cash.

So I think this is more of "seminar" and a glide cam promotion, than anything else-- except you get to pay them to let you use your camera there--- and it all becomes their material.... according to the site. Wonder if they'll be checking for alternate recording media ?

Chris Barcellos
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 04:33 PM   #5
Capt. Quirk

Well... considering most of the cameras are locked down, maybe you could claim your camera is the pro, you are it's date?
Old January 21st, 2006, 06:23 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Smile

:)

Chris Barcellos
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I was intrigued when I first saw this, but after reading the details of the setup and so forth, I don't really see the point. This wedding will have absolutely ZERO real life application. I shoot with 3 cameras, and that's pretty much the maximum that ANYONE is willing to pay for in my area. Also, who would want to edit footage from 100 cameras anyways? You couldn't possibly need that many angles, not to mention the array of different settings people will likely be using.

The kicker for me is that you pay $125 to 'be a part of history'. I think I could find a dozen ways in the next 60 seconds to spend $125 that would benefit my skills and my business more. My brides certainly won't give a crap if I partcipated in this event, so why should I?

My vote: silly
Old January 25th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #8
Capt. Quirk

I used to think WEVA was a decent group, but I have only attended one seminar, and that was out of curiosity. Now, they just seem to be getting flaky.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques