Need some insight on audio, thanks - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 26th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #16
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Heather-I'll look into godaddy.com. You mentioned if I needed advice on web site development. What website creating software is there that isn't for consumers and all templates, but isn't that hard to figure out at the same time? I am learning vegas 6 and have my hands full. [/QUOTE]

Sorry, let me clarify. If you need help designing it let me know and maybe I can give you a good deal. I could design it for you so that it would be easy enough for you to update when need be. I've been designing websites for about 8 years now.
Heather Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #17
Regular Crew

no thanks Heather

Well I appreciate the offer and everything. I'm sure you could do a great job designing a website for me. The website isn't a must have for me, and if I were to do one, I would do it. Granted I would have to learn how first, but I don't think there is anything about it I couldn't handle with some time invested. Thanks for the tip about godaddy.com
Brandon T Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 02:26 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Joe:

To clarify, I was referring to using the zoom to be unobtrusive. I wasn't encouraging lots of zooming shots; more along the lines of zoom in and get that shot you want so you don't disrupt the scene.

With that said, I think you are both right and wrong about zooming. Inexperienced zooms (the kind that stutter and change speed and aren't cut right in post) are no good. However, I use smooth zooms all the time to add variety to my shots, especially for ceremony shots, where the action is generally lacking. Like anything else, it's something you don't overuse, but you also don't just throw it out.

The other thing is that I wasn't saying clients go for 19-year-olds. I was simply stating that, in my experience at the wedding shows where I'm the youngest videographer, couples constantly remark that part of the reason they chose me was that I was young and fresh. Part of that is probably the attitude I convey when I'm talking to them, but I also do look young. So, my point was that a lot of couples are drawn to the younger videographer (given you're showing good quality work), and so Brandon doesn't have to be overly concerned with his age. Present a good attitude and personality and show good work and you'll get the right attention from clients.

Brandon:

The website hosting and domain name is what we charge $120 a year for. The website development is a separate cost. Having a website is pretty much a no-brainer, especially for a videographer. You need to confirm that you are legit and here to stay, and a website helps with that. It also allows people to get information at their convenience, and maybe most importantly, you can place samples of your work online for potential clients.

Like Heather, I've been designing websites for a long time, and I also do lots of graphic design and so forth, so I've got the skills. If you're interested in talking more about it, just send me an email:

info@dreambigproductions.com

This way we don't tie up the thread with shop talk.

Oh, and one more time, ZOOMS ARE NOT EVIL. I really hate to disagree so strongly with some of the posts on here about zooms, but it's crap. If you know how to zoom properly, and how to cut zooms in post, they are a great asset. If you think zooms are evil then you probably just don't know how to zoom or edit zooms properly. You might as well say panning or wide shots or tilt shots or anything else is evil. A zoom is just another tool that you have at your disposal, and you just use it sparingly.

Oh, and one more thing. If you haven't ordered the LANC, you might reconsider. I'm not saying they aren't useful, but if you are on a budget, it's not a critical piece of equipment. My 2 cents on that . . . d:-)
Old January 26th, 2006, 02:42 PM   #19
Regular Crew

hmm....

Travis,

I found one for $130 shipped. I ordered a monopod and plan on putting my second camera on a tripod. As of now the tripod will be unmanned. I've never used a monopod, but I've heard they are an inexpensive alternative to a glidecam or similar. Being able to have something touching the ground should help since I will have a mic and light etc etc..extra weight on the camera. My thoughts on the lanc... I was thinking it would be hard to hold the monopod steady and reach up and zoom when necessary. I've read everyone's debate about zooms, but I do know from my own experience, as you said they can be useful and are sometimes a must. With a lanc on the monopod it seems as if I could move up down, side to side and zoom in and out from one hand position. Right hand on the arm w lanc and left hand somewhere down the shaft of the monopod. As i said I've never used or seen one a monopod in person, so i may be out in left field??? Any other thoughts on that?
Old January 26th, 2006, 02:44 PM   #20
Regular Crew

by the way..i haven't ordered the lanc yet Travis.
Old January 26th, 2006, 03:06 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Monopods are a great alternative to a glidecam setup. We shoot with monopods for preceremony and reception (as well as rehearsal, rehearsal dinner, guys out golfing, whatever) and I love them. Mostly I use them without extending them, and just use them for additional balance support. I don't have any issues with operating the on-camera zoom while using the monopod, so I would assume you wouldn't have any problems. Again, a LANC is useful, to be sure, but far from a necessity. If you really are on a budget, I would put that money elsewhere for now.

The monopod will be very useful, though.
Old January 26th, 2006, 06:13 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
"i see it all the time with wedding videographers who don't know what they're doing. like i said....there's a time and place for it, but sparingly unless youre going for a specific camera move."

Dont know what theyre doing... interesting concept considering ive seen it on almost every demo ive seen.... here and elsewhere...

Each to their own i say and i do agree, to a point, that zooming should be kept to a minimum..

However.. when working longform jobs, such as weddings, sometimes there is no choice but to record while zooming in or out.
Put it this way... Im not about to miss out on or edit out a stolen kiss simply because im zooming in on it to get it... the fact that i got it is far more important to the couple....

With this type of production, so much happens that is beyond your control that you really cant afford to miss out on anything, and if it means using the shot that was zooming in while they were kissing, so be it...

With the abundance of footage, ths can be cut out later for demo work or what have you, but dont sacrifice a shot simply because "its not the right thing to do according to XYZ"
pardon the french but feck that shite...
If you want to stay in your mentality of this is how it should be or i "cant" do this or that, and you miss out on shots.... then theres no excuse...
If try to compose EVERY shot, and try to frame everything perfectly, youd be spending more time trying to figure out how youll be doing that, as opposed to focussing and capturing whats happening in front of you.

Another thing about zooming (in or out), is that it can also be used to add movement to a static shot, such as detail shots of accessories... aside from handheld tracking, which is always nice, but to be honest, gets boring after 2 minutes of seeing every shot done like this left to right, right to left, over the top, on an angle.... zooming can help break the monotony...

At the end of the day, despite what you know, despite how many weddings youve done, despite how much of a sweet talker you are, despite the price the client paid, despite how fancy you can make it in post, the couple really only care about one thing....

and that is to have a DECENT archive of their day. EVERYTHIG ELSE comes second to that. DONT EVER FORGET THAT....

Sorry but sometimes i see some of these posts whch annoy me..
one thing to remember is that with weddings u have artistic freedom to a certain degree...
USE IT...
Do what works for you, and being an individual in this way will naturally bring the clients to you becuase you ARE being an individual..

Whewwww......chill my brothers! Ok....you misunderstood what I said...sorta. Watch any movie, TV drama series, etc. Zooming doesn't happen often unless you're watching The Sheild or 24.....ok...NYPD Blue and a few others but the zooms are worked to "add" a camera effect. Since so many wedding videographers "aspire" to film bigger and better....I'm tellin' ya. Zooming is a NO NO.....it's "sloppy" shooting in general.
Yeah...to each is own, but Hollywood sets the standards for most camera stuff you'll ever see......I highly doubt that any of us are going to "reinvent" the wheel on that. Yup, weddings are live action....."so what", the better cam op you are the better you will be prepared for less if any "zooming"....unless you're going for a "specific" move. Also, I am used to shooting in a two cam environment so that does make a big difference on the zooms......I guess I just dislike the zooms.....problably because most do not do it effectively....
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 06:34 PM   #23
Inner Circle

No problem. I think, in the end we are both on the same page. We both feel that zooms are often not performed very well by the average videographer. We also both understand that sometimes a nice zoom can have a great effect in your video.

Like I said before . . . moderation. I use 3 cameras for a ceremony shoot, and I will experiment with a few zoom shots at each one. Zooming out from a candle flame or flower arrangement to include the B&G in the shot can be very beaufitul.

So yeah, zoom with caution, but keep it as an option in your back pocket at all times.
Old January 27th, 2006, 02:02 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel
No problem. I think, in the end we are both on the same page. We both feel that zooms are often not performed very well by the average videographer. We also both understand that sometimes a nice zoom can have a great effect in your video.

Like I said before . . . moderation. I use 3 cameras for a ceremony shoot, and I will experiment with a few zoom shots at each one. Zooming out from a candle flame or flower arrangement to include the B&G in the shot can be very beaufitul.

So yeah, zoom with caution, but keep it as an option in your back pocket at all times.

Hey Travis...I know I was rippin on the zoom comments but I watched your clips on your website....I didn't see too much zooming, and you do a good job with the camera...keep it up!
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 02:09 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Yeah, it was funny timing you had. I was working on a preceremony piece for a wedding when I first read your post. I had just started off the piece with a close-up of the bride's wedding ring on her hand and a slow zoom-out to reveal her getting her hair done. The timing of my edit and your post was pretty funny.

Thanks for checking out my material on my website. I'm glad you liked it. Not to thread-jack, but if you did see any areas for improvement, I'd love to hear it. You can email me if you want (to keep this thread cleaner):

info@dreambigproductions.com

Thanks!
Old January 27th, 2006, 03:31 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Boise

Travis,

This has absolutely nothing to do with anything we've been talking about, but I just realized you were from Boise. I have an aunt and uncle who live there. They were back home last week and my aunt told me about a guy down the street from them there who animated a movie thats about to come out. Have you heard anything about him? Working with video I wondered if you two have ever crossed paths.
Old January 27th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #27
Inner Circle

It's possible, but I don't know anyone who has animated a movie that's coming out. Got a name? d:-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques