Filming the Reception at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 30th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Filming the Reception

How often do you guys use a tripod at the reception? I normally just use a monopod during the reception but I was thinking about tripoding for the grand entrance up high above everyone with my main camera (XL1S). And when I'm done filming the grand entrance, speeches, and toastes, I'm thinking about leaving the main camera on the tripod for later and grabbing my GL2 (handheld) to capture most of the event since it's smaller and easy to handle. Then when the partying and dancing starts, aim my main camera which is still on the tripod towards the dance floor and let it record for an hour or so and still use my GL2 to bounce around recording other things.

Does anyone use this approach?

Thanks,
Eric
Eric Holloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I never use a tripod at the reception, just a monopod. As far as leaving a camera unmanned, I don't think I would use much of the footage. Video is a personal medium, especially for a wedding event, and wide shots on the scale you are looking at probably wouldn't be very useful.

I'd rather get half as much footage, but get it up close and personal. My opinion.

Also, leaving a camera unmanned at a reception would scare me to death. Too many little kids running around just looking for trouble to get into.
Old January 30th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Depending on the size of the bridal party (intros) and the number of speeches I might use my tripod with wheels for that but the rest is done handheld. Remeber though, I'm using a fullsized camera that loaded out with a wireless receiver, light (liteweight but still) and a battery the rig is probably close to 16 lbs so after a while with the long winded talkers it get a bit cumbersome.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 12:54 AM   #4
Major Player

I use a modified shoulder support for the pd170. I started shooting receptions with a monopod but since the shoulder support creation I stopped using the monopod at receptions.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 02:02 AM   #5
Major Player

use a tripod for the toasts....as they can get long, real long and you will get tired, especially if handheld shooting vs shoulder mounted. the rest can pretty much be handheld.

DO NOT LEAVE YOUR GEAR UNATTENDED....EVER!!!!!

I was working Sat at a high end venue......the photographers' had 2 cameras lifted....most likely by the hotel staff....waiters. This has happened to me in the past with two cameras I had stolen......do not leave your gear unattended......these hotel workers wait for events like weddings to lift expensive electronic gear.....its happens frequently.....is the word on the street.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 10:28 PM   #6
Major Player

I caught one of the hotel staff trying to lift one of my cameras at a recent wedding. I was taking a breather in the hallway outside of the banquet room (hotel to remain unnamed - nice place), sat it on the table across the way from me (hall was about 15? feet across - nothing to act as a shelf near me) and was facing it. The guy either didn't see me, or more likely assumed I wasn't attached to it (we wear plain black for weddings - nothing fancy - we're very active) and just picked it up and continued walking. The hotel planner whom I was working with exited the banquet hall just about the same moment I approached/accused the guy. Hotel GM was brought in and the guy was fired.

So yes, don't leave your stuff unattended. They'll try to rip it off even with potential witnesses around (fortunate he mistook me for joe schmoe).
Old February 8th, 2006, 06:23 PM   #7
Major Player

I use a Manfrotto/Bogen 3245 monopod. It's the most valuable and versatile tool I have. High shots, low shots, overheads, angles and most importantly, it saves my back. My PD-170 gets very heavy fully rigged and the monopod solves that problem.
Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 08:37 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Harotunian
I use a Manfrotto/Bogen 3245 monopod. It's the most valuable and versatile tool I have. High shots, low shots, overheads, angles and most importantly, it saves my back. My PD-170 gets very heavy fully rigged and the monopod solves that problem.
Bob
Bob, does that particular monopod require a head or does it mount to the camera's tripod mount? I'm looking into one myself, and the one you suggested looks great
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #9
Major Player

No, it doesn't require a head but I bought quick release locks for it so I could go quickly from tripod to mono. I think the part number is QR 625 at B&H.
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques