thepros.com - anyone care to comment about them? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 3rd, 2006, 11:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

thepros.com - anyone care to comment about them?

A potential client mentioned that thepros.com are highly recommended and widely used for videography. She also mentioned their prices, which are posted online, as much lower than mine or others for that matter.

So I did some homework and spoke with their operator. They basically assign the project (wedding, etc.) to the videographer in their 'network' closest to the wedding location. They are able to offer such low prices because they have streamlined the whole process. By that, it means the videographer just shoots and then turns the tapes over to their inhouse editors who pretty much mass produce these generic looking videos for everyone.

They have samples online that, quite frankly, are pretty boring IMHO. So I'm curious what others have to say about them or if you haven't, take a look and share your thoughts.

I basically told my client that the whole process appears to be a less than personal experience for the customer.

I didn't feel comfortable being compared to them since I put in tons of time into each production and no two projects are ever alike; as no couple ever is.

Just interested in what others have to say about this type of business model.

Thanks
Albert Baier
Old February 4th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #2
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Baier
I basically told my client that the whole process appears to be a less than personal experience for the customer.

I didn't feel comfortable being compared to them since I put in tons of time into each production and no two projects are ever alike; as no couple ever is.
Albert,

I agree with you completely here. Unfortunately some couples just won't see the difference in the videos and others don't really care. You may be able to convince a few couples as to why your approach is better, but I wouldn't count on that happening often. I think the business model of thepros.com is simply a way of providing very basic and bland wedding videos at a low cost, and trying to do a large quantity to make it profitable. You find the same thing in other areas, such as photography, but the couples that see the difference in your product will be the ones that will be willing to pay extra for it.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques