Lack of Enthusiasm with Love Story!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 12th, 2006, 02:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Lack of Enthusiasm with Love Story!!

Help!
Later today I'm filming my first Love Story, but the setup is rather strange.... The girl is totally enthusiastic and putting all of her effort into collating photos and music and thinking ahead about answers to questions (how did you meet? love at first sight? etc)
BUT the guy doesn't really want to go through with it (but got talked into it by her), he will most likely be saying 'yeah' or 'no' and look unbothered by it... believe me, i've met him a couple of times to predict his behaviour!

I can't exactly just use the girl, that would seem strange and unromantic, so how should i liven the situation up??

Richard (www.fxfilms.co.uk)
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 06:10 AM   #2
Inner Circle

i usually get THEM to interview each other.. if im having no luck in getting any activity from one of them...

if one isnt in it, i shoot anyway. hell, theyre paying me to do a job, not motivate them for a production which theyre going to watch at least once a year for the rest of their lives...

Dont get me wrong, im a lighthearted clown, your typical aussie, but there comes a time where you as a producer must step back and say..

OK whats my REAL job here....

put it this way, if hes not in it, bad luck for him.. these are his only chances to take advantage of the fact that youre there... preshoot and the wedding day itself..

Ive had grooms come up to me at the end of the night thanking me coz i made them feel comfortable. Here in aus, the culture for many pure blood anglo saxon men is to NOT want video...
But this is my biggest market now..
WHY??

coz i imitate their attitude and mentality... i make them feel a little more confortable by emulating their own character traits. I find somethign they can relate to.
If they smoke, ill make a comment and share a cigarette with them. If they like cars, we'll get to talking.. SOMETHING.. ANYTHING...

But even if that doesnt work, tough cookies..
Im not a counsellor and im not their to hold their hands... Im there to do a job
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 07:01 AM   #3
Major Player

If you can't get him to behave on video, you could just do a photo montage set to a good soundtrack. Done well, they are really effective. After a few drinks everyone will be cheering and laughing. He may like the idea of mixing in a few funny pictures so it isn't too slushy. I try and stay clear of "slushy," there's nothing I hate more.
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 12:41 AM   #4
Inner Circle

That's a great tip Peter! I never thought of having them interview eachother. What a great idea!
Old February 19th, 2006, 08:39 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
if one isnt in it, i shoot anyway. hell, theyre paying me to do a job, not motivate them for a production which theyre going to watch at least once a year for the rest of their lives...
Not quite right Peter...

They will watch it once a year for the rest of their marriage, which might be short.

Lots of guys don't know why they chose their wife. Lots of people get married with only one person in love. Just get the guy talking about her anyway you can. Shut off the red light and let him think the camera is off while you are recording, or leave the iRiver running at all times.
Old February 19th, 2006, 10:33 PM   #6
Major Player

I agree with you Bob, good point. IT IS OUR job to motivate them, get them talking...ask the questions in way so it feels like conversation, and not so much Q & A.....if you consider yourself a wedding video producer.....then start PRODUCING! If you're a "people" person....you'll get em' talking.....if you're not....then YOU are doing something wrong, NOT the guy who has never been interviewed in his life...Geeesh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Costa
Not quite right Peter...

They will watch it once a year for the rest of their marriage, which might be short.

Lots of guys don't know why they chose their wife. Lots of people get married with only one person in love. Just get the guy talking about her anyway you can. Shut off the red light and let him think the camera is off while you are recording, or leave the iRiver running at all times.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 02:25 PM   #7
Regular Crew

have him read something, like peom, etc and his his voice in the background of some pics, etc. At least you will have his voice going without the crummy look on his face. Have him ask a few question to his bride. Long shots of them walking - stay off his face if it isn't positive.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques