Recommendations for Tripod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 17th, 2006, 02:37 PM   #1
New Boot

Recommendations for Tripod

Hello,
I'm pretty new to the videography buisness, and wanted to know what would be a good beginner tripod. Now I did get a tripod with my Gl2 and done some shots with it and not very impressed with the tripod. From the looks and feel, its a $20 tripod.

From reading the boards, it seems as though Bogen tripods are a good choice. But, I don't have a lot of money to get a high end tripod. I want to get a fluid head with a quick release. Any suggestions?
Dan Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 02:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wagner
Hello,
I'm pretty new to the videography buisness, and wanted to know what would be a good beginner tripod. Now I did get a tripod with my Gl2 and done some shots with it and not very impressed with the tripod. From the looks and feel, its a $20 tripod.

From reading the boards, it seems as though Bogen tripods are a good choice. But, I don't have a lot of money to get a high end tripod. I want to get a fluid head with a quick release. Any suggestions?
Zoom control on the handle (in my opinion) is a very underated feature.

I have 2 of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...shs=vct-1170rm
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 04:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Dan, I was in the same situation that you were in, so I did some looking around and got a really low price on this tripod.
http://www.amvona.com/v7/shop/?page=...roduct_id=1850
The legs are heavy duty which I love and give you a solid base, the head on the other hand is ok, it's not the best, but would be a definite upgrade from those included with your camera on ebay. I was actually fortunate enough to get this tripod at a much lower price than posted through ebay, but goodluck with you search.

Eric Hansen
www.ehansenproductions.com
Eric Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #4
New Boot

Manfotto

Hey Dan I just picked up a camera myself and went out and got the entry level Manfotto tripod and entry level head. It wasn't cheap but the results are awesome. I'm new to this too but if I can offer my little bit of experience - go with the best tripod you can get. It doesn't matter what camera you have - if it is not shooting smooth shots - it's going to look like Dad running around the zoo with his $200 vid camera. Trust me - put out the extra money - it makes a huge difference!
Paul M Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #5
New Boot

spelling

Sorry - that's Manfrotto.
Paul M Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 05:46 PM   #6
New Boot

Hey Dan I just picked up a camera myself and went out and got the entry level Manfotto tripod and entry level head. It wasn't cheap but the results are awesome. I'm new to this too but if I can offer my little bit of experience - go with the best tripod you can get. It doesn't matter what camera you have - if it is not shooting smooth shots - it's going to look like Dad running around the zoo with his $200 vid camera. Trust me - put out the extra money - it makes a huge difference!

------
what model did you pick up?
Old February 18th, 2006, 09:19 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Terott
Craig - I completely agree!! I have a Manfrotto/Bogen setup (both tripod and fluid head) and I really love the LANC support for my videocamera. It saves me from having to reach over the setup in order to get a zoom or change the iris or focus rings. Having it all in the handle really makes it easy to make adjustments without having to jostle the setup.

Dan - I was in this position last year and I opted to purchase the Manfrotto/Bogen (503 I believe) setup. It's a very sturdy, very nice system. I made this purchase in mind that someday I'd upgrade my camera (which I did) and I'm very glad I spent the extra $$ and got the upgraded setup.

If you plan to upgrade at some point, it wouldn't hurt you to check out a $300-400 setup for the pod and fluid head.

Best of luck!
-Michael
Michael McGruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 04:43 PM   #8
Major Player

I've used Bogen/Manfrotto for years and am really pleased with their products. You get a lot of quality for the price. I was able to find a model 3001 tripod on e-bay for less than $100. It is a perfect base of the small GL2. I suggest spending more for a solid feeling fluid head. The current model 501 is a bit overkill for a GL2. If you can, look on e-bay for a model 3063 mini fluid head. It is the predecessor of the 501 and a very solid unit. I got a replacement 3063 on e-bay last year for around $100.
Old February 19th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #9
Major Player

Gitzo

I use a Gitzo carbon tripod (I travel some and it is easy to carry) model G1348MK2, with a Gitzo fluid head G2380 and a Manfrotto 438 leveler. Also use a Cannon ZR1000 controller. Whole thing weighs 8 pounds. I can take the head and leveler off the legs and broken down it all fits in a suitcase. It supports a fully loaded Z1 nicely. Not cheap: Head is about $300; leveler about $80. Legs retail are about $790; but I got 'em used for $400.
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 07:40 PM   #10
Major Player

Gitzo

I use a Gitzo carbon tripod (I travel some and it is easy to carry) model G1348MK2, with a Gitzo fluid head G2380 and a Manfrotto 438 leveler. Also use a Cannon ZR1000 controller. Whole thing weighs 8 pounds. I can take the head and leveler of the legs and broken down it all fits in a suitcase.
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 12:28 PM   #11
Skyonic New York

some things to consider

camera wieght make sure you can balance a camera to heavy or too light is no good

make sure the tripod legs have a balancing bowl saves time adjusting each leg to level a shot

snap legs? consider that weather changes will expand and extract aluminum causing the snaps to losen so carry a tool and adjust accordingly, or get carbon fiber less prone to adjusting, also some legs like the 3221win will snap back and take skin off your fingers

twist legs? some consider them a pain because of the order you must twist and untwist the legs in, so go to the store to give it a try

art/neotek legs new design that opens the legs via puch button or closes the legs via push button, art legs are expensive and heavy neotek legs are not that rigid

tripod feet some have a rubber twist to expose a screw for keeping the tripod steady, some have a pop up feet that expose the screw, the twist is cheaper but can get loose making your tripod roll

there are many thing to consider, but ultimately its your budget...if you have $1,400 to spend a cartoni focus can adjust from 2-22lbs giving you a very flexible head that has the best motion of almost any i have tried..
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 01:22 PM   #12
New Boot

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll try to stick with the Bogen brand and look at what's on Ebay. My buget isnt that great so I'll probably have to piece it if I can, or find a good combo kit.
Old February 20th, 2006, 11:06 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:

I have 2 of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...shs=vct-1170rm
Craig, the Sony 1170 is silly IMO. :)

The zoom rocker on the handle works bass-ackwards from the rocker on the VX. (And most other cams too). The head is great and I like the fact there is no center shaft to crank up BUT...

If I had to do it all over again I'd opt for a Bogen/Manfrotto with a varizoom controller.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 10:43 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Steele
Craig, the Sony 1170 is silly IMO. :) If I had to do it all over again I'd opt for a Bogen/Manfrotto with a varizoom controller.
Rick,

Are you saying that your average person would see a stunning difference between video shot on a Bogen/Manfrotto and the Sony 1170? I recommended the Sony because there is no better bang-for-your-buck than the 1170... anywhere. And he said his buget "isn't that great."

I must be very coordinated because until you mentioned the rocker was different - I never even noticed.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 01:10 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Rick,
Are you saying that your average person would see a stunning difference between video shot on a Bogen/Manfrotto and the Sony 1170?
No. I'm saying the Sony's remote on the pan handle *is* the handle so removing it and replacing it with a different controller is not an option.

Quote:
I recommended the Sony because there is no better bang-for-your-buck than the 1170... anywhere. And he said his buget "isn't that great."
Which is why I recommended a much cheaper fluid head tripod. The LANC controller on the Sony is just fluff he doesn't need right now. He could always add one later. (with a rocker that matches the cam I might add)

Quote:
I must be very coordinated because until you mentioned the rocker was different - I never even noticed.
Now how the heck can you not tell that moving the rockers in the same direction will produce the opposite effect?

Then I ain't coordinated - have to "stop" and think about it. I've also tried using the secondary zoom rocker on the end of the handle but my fingers just don't work that way.

At least the Sony came with a bag. :)
Rick Steele is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques