LCD vs Viewfinder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 17th, 2006, 03:18 PM   #1
Major Player

LCD vs Viewfinder

Cameras: PD-170 & VX2000

During a fast-paced wedding day I'm almost scared to use the view finder. Why? 'Cause every time I look up after looking through the viewfinder I realize I've been missing something just off screen that I wouldn't have missed had I been using the LCD.

It's like... if I use the viewfinder I'm restricting my field of view unneccesarily and miss things.

If I use the LCD I can frame the shot no problem and simultaneously pay attention to what's occuring around me.

Am I the only one on the planet that avoids using the viewfinder? I've heard the viewfinder (B&W) is better for focusing? But this makes no sense to me because the image in the LCD is larger and I can see more detail. The only time I use mine is outdoors, if it's blindingly sunny, and I can't see the LCD too well. Anyone use the viewfinder all the time? Why? Advantageous for a particular shot?
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 03:58 PM   #2
Major Player

hey craig.....i "rarely" use the lcd screen on my pd150......i almost exclusively use the viewfinder.....

tip for using the viewfinder: shoot with both eyes open or atleast open your normally closed eye frequently.....it really takes some practice and getting used to but it works very well for me. the only time i use the lcd screen is when i white ballance and set exposures...jusrt for quick reference. doing this helps for focusing in my opinion plus i like the feel of how i handhold the camera.....if you're using the lcd while handholding....chances are....youre holding the cam away from your body which can result in unwated shake.

try it sometime....like i said, its takes practice to keep your other eye open or frequently opening the other eye so you can see what else is going o around you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Terott
Cameras: PD-170 & VX2000

During a fast-paced wedding day I'm almost scared to use the view finder. Why? 'Cause every time I look up after looking through the viewfinder I realize I've been missing something just off screen that I wouldn't have missed had I been using the LCD.

It's like... if I use the viewfinder I'm restricting my field of view unneccesarily and miss things.

If I use the LCD I can frame the shot no problem and simultaneously pay attention to what's occuring around me.

Am I the only one on the planet that avoids using the viewfinder? I've heard the viewfinder (B&W) is better for focusing? But this makes no sense to me because the image in the LCD is larger and I can see more detail. The only time I use mine is outdoors, if it's blindingly sunny, and I can't see the LCD too well. Anyone use the viewfinder all the time? Why? Advantageous for a particular shot?
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 04:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Craig,
The only time I use the viewfinder is when I'm adjusting the manual settings for the lighting situation that we're in. I also use a glidecam to eliminate the extra shaking, so I really can't use the viewfinder.

The viewfinder allows you to see more detail of what is being recorded as the picture in the viewfinder gets interupted by the light so you don't see the exact colors and lighting that you are recording at. Then you can record from the LCD and not miss what's going on around you, but once the light situation changes again, check the viewfinder to make sure your adjustments are correct.

But if you're just walking around, I bet it would eliminate a lot of the extra shake like Joe mentioned.

Eric Hansen
www.ehansenproductions.com
Eric Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 08:13 AM   #4
Major Player

Have you tried using an LCD hood for your camera? I use my LCD almost constantly but the glare from the sun down here can be brutal.

http://www.petrolbags.com/new_petrol...cessories.html

These folks make great fold down hoods and they work wonders. B&H carries all their stuff and the prices aren't bad.
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 08:15 PM   #5
New Boot

I shoot alot of sports and I got started using a pd-170. I almost exclusively use the LCD because I'm able to hold it much steadier than with the viewfinder. I also like being able to see and not tripping over things... when I'm using a full size such as a DV5000 I usually flip the viewfinder magnification up and out of the way so that I don't have to have my eye buried in the finder. It just feels much more natural... but I'd say go with whatever is the most comfortable for you...
Evan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 09:01 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I go with whatever 'feels' best for the situation I'm in. During a ceremony, for example, I might switch between the two multiple times. During the reception I use the LCD almost exclusively.

I would say, overall, I use the LCD the most.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques