Sameday Edit - XL-H1 + XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 27th, 2006, 01:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sameday Edit - XL-H1 + XL2

Hey guys, here's a sample of a shoot we did on saturday. We used the XL-H1 and an XL2 for it, both in SD 16:9. The couple wanted a lot of family shots as the fathers have been best friends for over 30 years now. There is still some things that need to be worked on such as a couple of shots and adjusting levels/coloring effects etc. but just wanted to know what you all think and let me know of anything that could be better. Thanks!

I used H.264 quicktime some I know there will be some issues for PC users, but I'll have another .mp4 up soon!

www.ehansenproductions.com/sameday.mov

ok here's a link to the .wmv file, enjoy!

www.ehansenproductions.com/sameday.wmv

Eric Hansen
www.ehansenproductions.com

Last edited by Eric Hansen; February 27th, 2006 at 05:49 PM.
Eric Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #2
Inner Circle

This is second Utah same day wedding edit we saw today. Yours clearly wins because of pace, technique, style and choice of music !
Old February 27th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #3
Trustee

very nice footage, what kind of stabilizer?
Cole McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 02:50 PM   #4
Regular Crew

We used the magiqcam body system with the glidecam 4000.

www.magiqcam.com
www.glidecam.com

Eric
Old February 27th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
This is second Utah same day wedding edit we saw today. Yours clearly wins because of pace, technique, style and choice of music !
I suppose that means I lose. :D There's not that many Utah weddings posted up here. But I'll clearly defer to Eric because he has much more experience and just plain style than I do.

I'd like to see your clip but I can't view it here at work. I'll check it at home. I'm sure it's as amazing as your other work. That's one thing I like about people who share clips: it helps to get new ideas. I like to be creative and make my own shots as much as the next guy, but we all get ideas from other people. Thanks for posting it Eric.
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #6
Regular Crew

This clip can be viewed with the VLC Media Player for windows (for those of you having problems viewing it)

We're going to upload a full resolution version sometime soon, this compressed version doesn't do the video justice. The color and picture from the XL H1 are simply amazing!

Lowell
Lowell Oswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 07:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

WOW! Just wow....
Old February 27th, 2006, 07:19 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oveson
I suppose that means I lose. :D There's not that many Utah weddings posted up here. But I'll clearly defer to Eric because he has much more experience and just plain style than I do.

I'd like to see your clip but I can't view it here at work. I'll check it at home. I'm sure it's as amazing as your other work. That's one thing I like about people who share clips: it helps to get new ideas. I like to be creative and make my own shots as much as the next guy, but we all get ideas from other people. Thanks for posting it Eric.
Mike: I apologize if I sounded disrespectful. I watched yours first and felt that it could have been faster paced, and that it ran to long. I also felt the music was a bit "clicheic" if thats a word. Finally, the reptitious kissing was annoying--- but I thought that might be local traditions at work-- likke striking a wine glass with a fork at the reception to get the bride and groom to kiss. . I did not comment because you guys are out there doing it for real, and I am just trying to develop a craft for the future.
Old February 27th, 2006, 08:15 PM   #9
Inner Circle

That's some fine work Eric. You best not enter very many awards competitions, otherwise you will wind up having to rent some studio/office space, just to keep your house from getting all cluttered up with trophies! :P

Chris' comment about the kissing in Mike's piece made me stop and think for a second, then chuckle a bit. I almost wonder if Mike could even put together just a couple minute piece, from all the footage he shot that day, where that couple wasn't kissing!!! I still basically like the way Mike's piece flowed. Personally, I didn't think the pace was to slow at all. Seemed like a very comfortable pace for viewing to me. Speeding that up to much could really damage it. I've seen quite a few (more than I can count) wedding clips that just couldn't hold my interest well at all, but Mike's certainly did. I watched it a couple times and showed it to my mother also. Probably helps that I really like "Unchained Melody" too (gorgeous song), although I don't think that selection is a perfect fit for the visuals (you would need to do something like getting the couple a little further apart, with some "longing" looks, in some cuts, to fit the mood of the song, and that sure might be a challenge with that pair!).

I just watched both pieces again, and they are both "clear winners" to be sure.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 10:53 PM   #10
Regular Crew

You got a lot of great kudos so I will try to point out some faults. I thought you went back and forth at the beginning showing the temple a little too much. You showed a shot then showed another just like it. That didn't work for me. I didn't like a lot of the transitions. I'm not a fan of the way a pan can look in a cross desolve. Having said that, really good work.

Mike
Mike F Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 11:25 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hansen
Hey guys, here's a sample of a shoot we did on saturday. We used the XL-H1 and an XL2 for it, both in SD 16:9. The couple wanted a lot of family shots as the fathers have been best friends for over 30 years now. There is still some things that need to be worked on such as a couple of shots and adjusting levels/coloring effects etc. but just wanted to know what you all think and let me know of anything that could be better. Thanks!

I used H.264 quicktime some I know there will be some issues for PC users, but I'll have another .mp4 up soon!

www.ehansenproductions.com/sameday.mov

ok here's a link to the .wmv file, enjoy!

www.ehansenproductions.com/sameday.wmv

Eric Hansen

Super work Eric really loved watching it, went to the site as well, so I take it this is a replacement for the current wedding vid that's up there now? Had a really similar look to it.

When you deliver same day you're shooting, editing and delivering that day or the next? WOW - can't imagine being able to do that, some of my stuff takes weeks for me to tweak and tweak to the point I bring my wife in and ask her to let me know what she thinks, actually been back to square one on some projects, during others I just let her take over and DP the thing while I cut, makes for nice teamwork.

Miguel
Old February 28th, 2006, 09:08 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Mike: I apologize if I sounded disrespectful. I watched yours first and felt that it could have been faster paced, and that it ran to long. I also felt the music was a bit "clicheic" if thats a word. Finally, the reptitious kissing was annoying--- but I thought that might be local traditions at work-- likke striking a wine glass with a fork at the reception to get the bride and groom to kiss. . I did not comment because you guys are out there doing it for real, and I am just trying to develop a craft for the future.
You're fine Chris. I just thought it was funny, because there aren't many same day edits from Utah posted here. Eric and I are the only regulars I know of. And Eric, I apologize for hijacking your thread. I didn't have time to watch the clip last night but I am sure it is good, based on your other work I have seen.

In terms of the music I didn't have any choice. I allow the clients to choose the music they want, so they gave me tracks and I cut to that. This was a really rough cut done in about 1.5 hours, and I will be going back to fix things here and there (pacing would be the biggest).

Robert, I agree that it would have been difficult to piece together even a smaller piece without them kissing. They were definitely elated. :D Thank you for your very kind words about my piece. I'm glad it kept you watching. That's my goal, to make a piece that is compelling or at least fun to watch. I hesitate to say this, but it was my first paid wedding. The only reason I hesitate to say that is because the couple didn't know that. They knew we had just started, but not that their's was the first one. But from what they have said so far they are rather pleased with it. Thank you again. Eric, I promise to watch your clip tonight. :D
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 03:12 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Mike Smith,
Thanks for the ideas, I agree that I need need fix the intro. I'll do that for the final. And I don't normally use all cross-disolves. I just threw them in there to compliment the song, but I'll watch it with that in mind and change some things around a bit. Thanks for all your compliments and thoughts!

Eric Hansen
Old February 28th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #14
Inner Circle

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but both Eric and Mike appear to specialize in shootin dang good lookin blonde brides. :P

Eric - There's a clip on your site that could maybe use a little fix. In the one that uses U2's "With or Without You" in the sound track, there is a gentleman speaking at one point, where the volume of the music isn't lowered as he speaks. That makes it come off a little rough. I really like what you did with some of the timing on that clip towards the end of it.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Cool, thanks Robert, I'll have to check on that, to be honest with you that was the first wedding that I ever did as a "professional" with my hand-held GL-2, but the couple was hillarious as you can see in the other reception vid.

Eric
Eric Hansen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques