Clip To Share at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 1st, 2006, 06:33 PM   #1
Major Player

Clip To Share

Last time I posted something, some people had trouble playing it. Also some said that the wmv looked washed out. I tried adjusting the gamma, pulling back the blacks, and boosting saturation before encoding to .wmv. How does it work/look?

Also, if you'd like to critique the work go ahead. Don't hold back, everything helps.

Post Ceremony Clip
Old March 1st, 2006, 07:05 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I was puzzeled at first. Something didn't seem quite right, but I couldn't put my finger on it at first. Then I watched again, and realized that there just weren't very many people doing much smiling. You had a tough bunch to work with there, but I think you put the piece together pretty well, and the color didn't look washed out.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 07:06 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Even most the smiles (what few there were) from the bride, looked like she was forcing them (frankly, it looks like she wasn't to thrilled to be getting married that day).
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:30 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks For The Comments

Thanks!

I thought the same thing the entire time I was editing. Not too many happy faces.

If I had to guess though, I think the photographer had a bit of something to do with the unhappy bride. I about died when he yelled at the bride "Your on my time now."

The photographer was in my way the entire day, told me to stay out of the way during the cake cutting, dances, and would not work with me what so ever. I felt he was purposely stepping into my shots.

The mother of the bride wrote him a letter after the wedding explaining how dissapointed they were in him. I tell future brides i will not do another wedding with him and that he is the only photographer I have ever had trouble with. Other photographers have told me nothing but how easy I am to work with.

Another bit of info... the photographer had offered a free video to the mother of the bride... because his company is going to start offering video and they need a demo. Luckily the MOB told him no, they had already hired somebody, and she thought it would be rude to have their crew there too.
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:55 PM   #5
Inner Circle

What an idiot. Might almost be tempting to thwack him with a shotty mic, if not for possibly hurting the mic.
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:10 PM   #6
Major Player

I enjoy every video you post... you do excellent work.

Some parts of the video do look a little washed out in my opinion, but it doesn't stand out too bad. Good editing, and I agree with everyone else about the smiling.

Also, I love the package store trip that was priceless, :D
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:15 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I'll gladly donate my shotgun mic to the cause . . . or my shotgun, for that matter . . .

"You're on my time now."

????

Wow, what a complete moron. I'm amazed he still get clients.

Anyways, on to the video . . .

I thought you did a great job. The pacing and cuts and transitions all pretty much worked for me. You could use a little color correction in most of the shots, but nothing serious (cloudy days are tough). The only thing that really stuck out to me was the shot you ended on. Maybe it fits in your overall video, but I think you should end on the shot of the bride and groom laying on the grass, not on the next shot of the empty reception hall.

Those are my thoughts . . . and seriously, the shotgun or the mic, whatever you want . . . d:-)
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:17 PM   #8
Inner Circle

"Another bit of info... the photographer had offered a free video to the
mother of the bride... because his company is going to start offering video and they need a demo. Luckily the MOB told him no, they had already hired somebody, and she thought it would be rude to have their crew there too."

this is probably why he behaved the way he did.. you took "his business" from him...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 11:13 PM   #9
Major Player

Sometimes I kind of like cloudy days because I don't get hard shadows. It does make colors look dull which, as you said, is what I had here. I definitly could do some CC work, but with weddings, and the average associated pay, as much as I don't like to say it, there has got to be a line somewhere... doesn't there? If not I could work on the same wedding for months, years, or forever!

The couple and their families were thrilled with the video. The bride told me it was alot more than she expected, and her mom called and said they watched it over and over the night they got it. She said it was unbelievable.

I bet 9 times out of 10 the average wedding client would never notice the difference between a color corrected version and the original, unless the original color was drastically off, or the effect was drastic.

I have always been a perfectionist, and struggle to balance this with the fact that I am also running a business. Again, with a $1300 wedding video.. where should that line be?

As far as that photographer goes... I would take the shotgun. This guy is one of the reasons video is getting a bad rap. You should see the demo vid on his website. Right above it says, "$400 for your entire wedding day on DVD!!! Cheaper than Anywhere else!!" I'm so tempted to post his site, but would that be morally wrong?

I stood my ground with him... got the best shots I could... and had the b&g and parents on my side which helped. His work is... mediocre to be kind... the mother of the bride said his portfolio looked good.. but the final photos were... ok.
Old March 1st, 2006, 11:16 PM   #10
Inner Circle

What's the URL for this nitwit's site? Morbid curiosity has gotten the best of me I fear.
Old March 1st, 2006, 11:54 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright
What's the URL for this nitwit's site? Morbid curiosity has gotten the best of me I fear.

check your email
Old March 2nd, 2006, 12:03 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Wow. That's impressive. That clip on the guy's site may very well be the weakest wedding video demo clip I've ever seen. You certainly don't have to worry about him taking any business from you, from brides that want quality. He should have been a plummer or something (not that I'd let him fix a leaky faucet in my house).
Old March 2nd, 2006, 12:05 AM   #13
Inner Circle

The couple that got that free, paid to much! LOL
Old March 2nd, 2006, 12:15 AM   #14
Major Player

My thoughts exactly.

Unfortunatly alot of the prospective clients I talk to ask for prices before anything else. I get leads through different online ad sites requesting availability for a date and a budget of $500 for raw video.

I wonder if people around here have just seen to many uncle charlie videos and videos from clowns like this guy to appreciate what a wedding video can be.

I do book 90% of the couples that come in to meet with me. I've even booked some at bridal shows who said they had no desire for a video before they saw my demo.

I havn't been doing this that long, a little over 2 years... but I feel confident in saying I blow away most of the local competition. I am no glen, mark, or eric, but I hold my own against the local guys and am always trying to improve.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 12:16 AM   #15
Major Player

I'm thinking of not giving any prices out over phone or email anymore.

I'll tell people if they are shopping for the cheapest video they can find... I'm not for them. If they want the best value for their money I'd be happy to meet with them and go over my prices and help pick a package that fits their day and their budget.

Good idea?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques