New Samples To Show at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 7th, 2006, 10:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New Samples To Show

OK, I'm feeling ten feet tall and bulletproof. So here goes...

http://mcknightvideo.com/ceremonyshortform.shtml

I've never, ever posted any samples online to show. But I have learned a lot on this board and would appreciate any comments. Be gentle!

The webpage is a temp page only, samples are WMP only for now.
Sample is a short form ceremony.

thanks,
David

<edit> changed URL to reflect only the current short form ceremony. This ultimately is not for a web demo, but as part of a play-all chapter on dvd.

Last edited by David McKnight; March 8th, 2006 at 05:45 AM.
David McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 01:12 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Good Work David. Lots of nice shots and good cuts. My only nit pick would be the first two shots. I think the piece would be stronger if you streched the third shot just a little and started there. The music would cut there just fine. Now if you wanted to use the first two with some gold empossed titles or something I could live with that. Might work might not.

Mike
Mike F Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 04:01 AM   #3
Trustee

"I've never, ever posted any samples online to show. But I have learned a lot on this board and would appreciate any comments. Be gentle!"

How DARE you post such trash!? You diminish all those present with your unprofessional camera work and lack of talent! :)

Seriously, I don't think you have anything to worry about. As editors, we must nitpick, but you have nothing to be self-conscious about.

I echo what Mike said about the first shots (I watched Demo_WMV9_512.wmv). I think the B&W effect loses something when highly-compressed. The detail is lost, and that is the strength of black and white footage. I really like the fade to color on the third shot. I think the first two shots would work if shortened, or had the titles Mike mentioned.

I would also like to add some color correction to the shot where the bride enters the church with her father(s?). That first shot was a bit blue and/or colorless in their faces. The bride looks much better in the warmer lighting of the later clips. Since this is the first time we see the bride, it is very important that the clip look the best. A simple color correct to match it to the later clips would be a quick fix and, together with the short edit to the beginning, should give your video the immediate impact you want for a demo.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 05:26 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys; I think you got directed to the file that's been on the site for about a year. I changed the URL in the original post to reflect a more current short form ceremony that's about 6 minutes long.
The thing I liked least about this piece were the exposure problems from some overly backlit shots.
David McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 05:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

First off… great job!!!

I really liked it and thought it got better and better throughout the video, the only one wee thing I would say and it’s maybe the same kind of thing as the first two guys is that the first few clips just don’t quite do it for me… it’s may be because there is a lot of close zooming clips close together. But that’s just in my option and it’s just being really picky.

All the best and keep it up.
Andrew Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 06:06 AM   #6
Trustee

Good job

I'm certainly not one of the experts here, but I would suggest letting your subjects walk out of the frame rather than following them with the camera. Also maybe a bit more headroom.

Nice job and good editing.
Old March 8th, 2006, 09:32 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I thought it was great and the part I liked most was the voice overs. What mike and recorder did you use?
Old March 8th, 2006, 09:57 AM   #8
Major Player

very nice work. Kudos!
Doug Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Voice overs were done with an iRiver and GS mic, downstairs from where the very loud reception was being held. I included a "groom interview" as an extra, where I asked several "Storyteller" type questions. Had to do LOTS of splicing of the answers, he was a fast talker with lots of details, but it was fun and made for a better piece I think.
David McKnight is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques