mounting mic and light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 14th, 2006, 08:51 PM   #1
Tourist

mounting mic and light

Hey. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is any way I can mount both a lav mic and a light onto my pd170. Thanks in advance for any input.
Courtney Peers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #2
Still Motion

You can grab a cheap flash bracket from ebay for under $10 that will screw into the tripod mount on the PD170 and will then give you a cold shoe for the light (which alos puts it off to the side a bit) and then mount the lav where you normally would on the PD170. The flash bracket also has a thread in the bottom to put a quick release plate on if you want to put the whole thing on a tripod and the bracket itself can greatly reduce camera shake if shooting hand held.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 10:14 PM   #3
Major Player

Courtney-use the hot shoe for your light.....buy an xlr cable about 3 ft in length this way you can secure the lav to your belt. I do this all the time, it free's up the cam of unwanted weight...not to mention you end up with all sorts of things hanging of your PD....you begin to look like a "vidiot"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney Peers
Hey. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is any way I can mount both a lav mic and a light onto my pd170. Thanks in advance for any input.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 11:30 PM   #4
Major Player

But if you really just want to mount em both to the cam as I do you can pick up a triple shoe mount made by NRG. I know they have em on the EVSonline site somewhere.
Daniel Runyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney Peers
Okay - I gotta ask. A lav mic is designed to be used on the subject or pretty darned close to it - up close and personal. Why mount a lav on the camera (or on one's belt as Joe suggested)? If you can't put the mic physically on the subject, you shouldn't be using a lav at all, IMHO.
Old March 15th, 2006, 11:33 AM   #6
Major Player

The mic goes on the subject, when we say "mount the lav to the cam" we're talking about the reciever unit.
Old March 15th, 2006, 11:45 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Runyon
The mic goes on the subject, when we say "mount the lav to the cam" we're talking about the reciever unit.
Ahh, thanks - 'cause there are hard-wired lavs used as well and it confused me a moment. To me "lav" is strictly the type mic pickup unit and it could be used either hard-wired to the camera or mixer or feeding a wireless transmitter.
Old March 15th, 2006, 11:52 AM   #8
Major Player

Well sure, it's that to me too, though sometimes whatever works in the convention of discussion isn't always symantically precise!
Old March 15th, 2006, 01:22 PM   #9
Major Player

here we go again.....OK, i beleive the original poster meant the "receiver" which can be heavy and bulky while attached to a handheld camera.....you know, a wireless system. so he was asking where to place it...not the lav itself, they weigh nothing....this is how i interpreted the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House
Okay - I gotta ask. A lav mic is designed to be used on the subject or pretty darned close to it - up close and personal. Why mount a lav on the camera (or on one's belt as Joe suggested)? If you can't put the mic physically on the subject, you shouldn't be using a lav at all, IMHO.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 01:41 PM   #10
Major Player

MightyWonderCam

Videosmith in Philadelphia puts out the MightyWonderCam Mini Rover, an arm extends to the left of the camera (in most cases) with a rubber handle and then a plate on the top that you can velcro a lav receiver. You have to work around it sometimes because of the LCD issue. Works on a PD-150/170, FX-1 and Z1. Look for the Mini Rover and mini Mate bracket. They also sell quick releases.
Here's a url:

http://www.videosmith.com

Last edited by Jack D. Hubbard; March 15th, 2006 at 04:19 PM. Reason: word fix
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 09:55 PM   #11
Inner Circle

better than the L adapter which mounts to the tripod mount, i found was a Y shoe adapter. I use this to mount the reciever, the light and still run my shotguns. Theyre not side by side, so theres a slight elevation on one side and the design is actually quite brlliant without making the camera set up look stupid

The light is SLIGHTLY off centre, but i actually prefer that... i like playin with light and shodow.. mind u the Y adapter cost me $75 so its a bit of a rort, but in this game everything is a rort..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 03:55 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Allen Rosenberger
here we go again.....OK, i beleive the original poster meant the "receiver" which can be heavy and bulky ...
Not critcizing, just 'splainin' my confusion...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques