Camera support for shooting weddings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 26th, 2006, 09:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera support for shooting weddings

Hi, I am new to this forum and hope to contribute as well as to learn. Can anyone suggest good gear to have to shoot weddings using an XL1? I may be using 2 cams. I have a good tripod but am not sure what kind of steadicam unit to use and have even looked at the kessler crane system but think it might be overkill. On a budget too!
Thanks.
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:46 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Viteri
Hi, I am new to this forum and hope to contribute as well as to learn. Can anyone suggest good gear to have to shoot weddings using an XL1? I may be using 2 cams. I have a good tripod but am not sure what kind of steadicam unit to use and have even looked at the kessler crane system but think it might be overkill. On a budget too!
Thanks.
Even though its not a "stabilizer", the DV Rig Pro was the best peice of equipment I have bought.
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 12:09 PM   #3
Major Player

Carlos,

Have you looked into more sound and lighting gear?......It may be more valuable than another support. I have heard you need insurance for cranes on location......esp at weddings because people get loaded.

-John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 12:14 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Pike
Even though its not a "stabilizer", the DV Rig Pro was the best peice of equipment I have bought.
Patrick I have to agree with you as well. It has helped my shooting tremendously, especially when it comes to having to move and reframe my shots on the fly.
I fit the rig up with mics, PAG C6 lighting, battery pack on back, wireless, and keep them mounted on all day, with no need to change anything except for batteries during a shoot.
I have the rig, as well as the tripod adapter as well. This way I can shoot with the rig, and at a moments notice mount teh rig on my triopd in a matter of seconds for tripod shooting (very handy during ceremonies).
I go pretty much all handheld during the reception, and can get in and out of tight areas fairly easity.
Although not a steadicam, it's the most versitile tool I have in my arsenal.
I can't remember the last time I used my monopod.
Old March 29th, 2006, 07:00 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Can you use an LCD monitor or tft with the dv pro rig?

Thanks Patrick, John & Michael for the advice. I have been looking at the flowpod with vest stabilization by Varizoom but not sure. Since the XL1S has not flip out screen, I usually use a monitor (for my eye sight sake). Is it possible to add that to the DV Pro Rig? As far as lighting, I have an on camera lowel and beachtek adapter for audio.
Old March 29th, 2006, 08:14 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Viteri
Thanks Patrick, John & Michael for the advice. I have been looking at the flowpod with vest stabilization by Varizoom but not sure. Since the XL1S has not flip out screen, I usually use a monitor (for my eye sight sake). Is it possible to add that to the DV Pro Rig? As far as lighting, I have an on camera lowel and beachtek adapter for audio.
The flowpod might not be sturdy enough (by itself) for a camera of the XL1S size, and could be very fatiguing on your uper body and arms. But the body pod might be.

The DVRig Pro won't work with the XL1, but DVTech does make a rig called the DVRig Pro XL which is made to accomadate speciffically the XL1.
The main advantage to this rig is it can alleviate much of the stress your body will take during a long shoot.
I'm not sure if all of the same accessories will work with the XL rig, like tripod mounting of the rig, but it might.
Here's the link to the DVRig Pro XL on DVTecs website.

http://www.dvtec.tv/id9.html

If you have any questions about the rig, then you might want to contact Danny Natovich, the inventor who frequents these boards.
Here's his profile for contact on these boards.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/member.php?u=4863

He is extremely helpful, and can even develop specific thinsg for the rig, of they don't currently have it available.

Good luck,
Michael
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thanks. I will look into this model

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques