Preceremony Clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 27th, 2006, 11:05 AM   #1
Wrangler

Preceremony Clip

http://home.comcast.net/~g.elliott3/...receremony.wmv
Old March 27th, 2006, 01:53 PM   #2
Still Motion

Nice edit. Reminds me very much of Joel's work although I haven't seen too much of it. The VO really helped, especially considering it was prep footage. Seemed fairly repetitive in terms of the content, so from an outside viewers perspective that doesn't know the couple, I would have suggested adding in more shots with the bridal party, grooms men, parents, and perhaps details other than the dress. Nice ending to a great peice overall. Did you have a second videographer there, looked like a shotgun mic in one of your shots?
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 02:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

As always..."Excellent".

Glen- where do you get your fonts?? You always use nice fonts which I cant seem to find.....

Regards,
Joven
Old March 27th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #4
Major Player

I "third" the nice job/excellent comments! I love the sun/cloud/church thing at the beginning. Are those clouds some stock footage you shot, or was it shot that day with that edit in mind?

The vo's were also very nice. Last time I tried that (which actually was the first time and so far only time), they just weren't the touchy-feely kind of vo's I was looking for. He had a very gruff, hoarse voice that didn't lend well to this kind of use, and she just couldn't think of anything touching to say. I tried coaching her a little by asking some questions about them and their relationship, but she just didn't have it in her. So, I stopped recording, stepped back and just got footage.

Again, very nice sample! Always a pleasure to view your work.

Dan
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I like it a lot. A little mushy, but it's supposed to be. I've tried something like that, too, with mixed results. This is a great example, and it gives me something to strive for.
John Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 05:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Awsome work Glen,

I hated having to watch it with the watermark.

Mike

Last edited by Mike F Smith; March 28th, 2006 at 12:59 PM.
Mike F Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau
Nice edit. Reminds me very much of Joel's work although I haven't seen too much of it. The VO really helped, especially considering it was prep footage. Seemed fairly repetitive in terms of the content, so from an outside viewers perspective that doesn't know the couple, I would have suggested adding in more shots with the bridal party, grooms men, parents, and perhaps details other than the dress. Nice ending to a great peice overall. Did you have a second videographer there, looked like a shotgun mic in one of your shots?
Joel is one of my lead inspirations. Regarding shot selection I actually had an abundance of bridesmaids and groomsmen shots however once I laid the VO's down it was to personal to cut away to others. There are other segments where I can use these shots, namely the highlights.

I shot the bridal prep and my assistant shot the grooms. One videographer at each location.

Thanks for the critique.
Old March 27th, 2006, 06:49 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joven OHara
As always..."Excellent".

Glen- where do you get your fonts?? You always use nice fonts which I cant seem to find.....

Regards,
Joven
Thank you. I get all my fonts from www.dafont.com/en
Old March 27th, 2006, 06:50 PM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Shallenberger
I "third" the nice job/excellent comments! I love the sun/cloud/church thing at the beginning. Are those clouds some stock footage you shot, or was it shot that day with that edit in mind?

The vo's were also very nice. Last time I tried that (which actually was the first time and so far only time), they just weren't the touchy-feely kind of vo's I was looking for. He had a very gruff, hoarse voice that didn't lend well to this kind of use, and she just couldn't think of anything touching to say. I tried coaching her a little by asking some questions about them and their relationship, but she just didn't have it in her. So, I stopped recording, stepped back and just got footage.

Again, very nice sample! Always a pleasure to view your work.

Dan
Thanks Dan- yeah the couple did pretty well with the on-the-fly VO's questionaire we had them do. They were both nervous and it came out in their voices- however it sounded more "true" than having them read off of a pre-written sheet.
Old March 27th, 2006, 06:51 PM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Harmon
I like it a lot. A little mushy, but it's supposed to be. I've tried something like that, too, with mixed results. This is a great example, and it gives me something to strive for.
Mushy is gold to most brides, particularly this one. I finished editing this bride's friends wedding. She was there when the couple screened it and she cried more than her friend did and it wasn't even her wedding. I'm looking forward to delivering this video to her.
Old March 27th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F Smith
Awsome work Glen,

I hated having to wath it with the watermark.

Mike
My appologies, I hope it wasn't TOO distracting. There has been an abudance of theft of online demos recently. I'm doing my small part to help thwart it with my work.
Old March 27th, 2006, 09:50 PM   #12
Major Player

Glen, where di you get your music? That music fits perfectly with the feel of the video

excellent work!
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 02:37 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott
My appologies, I hope it wasn't TOO distracting. There has been an abudance of theft of online demos recently. I'm doing my small part to help thwart it with my work.
Dont ever apologise for wanting to protect you work mate, its one of the reasons i dont put stuff online.. ive had people leach my work and being a supplier/trainer, ive even had people walk through my shop door with my production studio's demo dvd in hand (the shop and the productions are 2 differet entities with different names) with them wanting to learn techniques.. so plagiarism is abuntant and rampant in this industry...

moving onto the the topic, again mate, nice and tight edits make for great viewing.
I Understand the reasoning behind dragging afew shots out, as it helps retian the pace and flow of what we're hearing, One thing though, speaking of hearing, be aware of the reverb configuration u have on the voices.
Im running an audio monitor set up which picks up EVERYTHING. Its an Old Yamaha setup with Berhinger truths (all 5 of them) with a custom build subwoofer. Basically i use it for Dolby Digital mixing, monitoring and mastering. Now theres nothing wrong with the reverb, its just a little to wide for a personal VO like this. In the chapel, i would use this setting, but for a one on one type, i would tighten it a little bit.
If your looking for good plugins which work really well within a video environment, have a look at Waves Pro, as well as Beatmodel plugins. There are heaps more but i think these 2 packages cover most video requirements
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 07:44 AM   #14
Wrangler

Thanks Peter for the suggestion. The way it sounds is how I preferred it for this piece. If I use VO's without talking heads I try to rid the natural dry sound of it. I wanted it to sound dreamy and reflective.

The original un-compressed piece was edited using M-Audio LX4's on a Audiophile 192.
Old March 28th, 2006, 08:17 AM   #15
Inner Circle

if thats the case, then i would recommend something like a chorus effect for that dreamy reminescence, or more substantially, if u can get your hands on a Harmonic Exciter. I use 2 different exciters, ones on my Yamaha A3000mkII sampler and i pass the audio straight through it then record my line input
Another option i take, and this is the best way to retain clarity and quality, is to capture the footage where the VO was done (i dont carry my Marantz PMD671 to weddings if i dont have to.. )
Anyways, clean it up a little in soundforge, transfer it straight into my RS7000 workstation as a wav file and run it as a series of samples through a customised drum samplebank.
That samplebank is then chained to a series of effects. The output from that, is then run back through the optical output straight into the PC onto the Vegas timeline and recorded in realtime.. all the while im tweaking and adjusting as it plays along.
I like to fluctuate certain freq to accentuate what is being said. Some resonance tweaks help a fair bit and fatten up whats being said, then some tweaking of Chorus filters on high end plosives really give the mix that lil bit of an edge and accentuate the words. I dont do this very often though coz it DOES take time...

Obviously this is all outboard gear and i rarely do this unless theyre high paying customers, but in the SW world, Vegas is good with its realtime tweakability but its just not hands on enough for me... Im too old skool..lol

From here, if u want to get your hands on a pretty decent resonance filter, there are afew VST plugs, but i would recommend the Reso filter which comes with Acid, as this can actually be tweaked in realtime straight from the vegas timeline.
For decent chorus filters, checkout Beatmodels plugins as the chorus filter is one of the most robust ive used. really decent phasing, and shape configurations and does absolute wonders for VO work like this.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques