Changing Lenses During Wedding at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 5th, 2006, 11:05 AM   #1
Major Player

Changing Lenses During Wedding

Hey guys, thanks for answering my $300 equipment question. I have a Wide Angle and a Fisheye on the way for my VX2100.

My first wedding is April 21 and I need some advice on how and when to use these lenses. I should have a fast dsl connection this Friday so I'll be able to view some sample clips from the board. The only wedding video I've seen was my sister's from 14 years ago.

Anyway, the new lenses are screw on, so I imagine I'll practice taking them on and off to increase my speed and agility.

I currently have a screw on uv filter on camera. I imagine this would need to be removed before attaching either new lens. Right? If this is the case, should I just leave the uv filter at home when I go to the wedding?

I can just envision myself fumbliing around with these lenses and missing important shots.

I'll have two cameras going for the wedding. Should I shoot the bulk of my wedding using the wide angle lens and just use the fisheye when I'm doing a bride prep or a dance at the reception?

Thanks Scott
Scott Routt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 11:17 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Scott

Not used a fish eye for video, but in photos I found it had a very limited use... much like an effects filter, that I used one very very rarely...

Personally I'd only use it for say a cut away shot of the whole church and congregation... but wouldn't over use it...

this will free you up to get you bread and butter footage...

Just my opinion...

Cheers
G
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #3
Inner Circle

In my experience I've never changed lens during a wedding. I will generally use my 150s for PREP with a WA attachment since I'm usually in fairly close quarters but for the ceremony and reception I use the standard lens (if I'm shooting with the 150) except when the dance floor gets really crowed then I'll use the WA as I like to get on the dance floor with the people.
But again for ceremonies I've never used a WA so no changing necessary.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #4
Major Player

The best way to changes lens during an event is to change cameras. Not the most affordable solution, but you dont miss important things either.

I have successfully used a fisheye during dancing and some highlights, but you have to judge the couple's taste before doing this.
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 01:47 PM   #5
Major Player

Patrick- you are way off, this is not still photography, i can get a WA lens off or on in 10 seconds max. first off, chances are.....especially since the original poster has never shot a wedding video nor has he seen a video in fourteen yrs...the last thing he should be doing is lens changes during a ceremony, he has a lot to learn about producing wedding videos in general and this seems low on the list to be concerned with....but the best way is not to have 2 video cameras with seperate lenses.......way too much money not to mention who will "watch" the other cam if he is flying solo on the shoot???? You NEVER leave cam gear alone on these shoots.....theft happens all the time in churches, reception venus, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Pike
The best way to changes lens during an event is to change cameras. Not the most affordable solution, but you dont miss important things either.

I have successfully used a fisheye during dancing and some highlights, but you have to judge the couple's taste before doing this.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Allen Rosenberger
Patrick- you are way off, this is not still photography, i can get a WA lens off or on in 10 seconds max. first off, chances are.....especially since the original poster has never shot a wedding video nor has he seen a video in fourteen yrs...the last thing he should be doing is lens changes during a ceremony, he has a lot to learn about producing wedding videos in general and this seems low on the list to be concerned with....but the best way is not to have 2 video cameras with seperate lenses.......way too much money not to mention who will "watch" the other cam if he is flying solo on the shoot???? You NEVER leave cam gear alone on these shoots.....theft happens all the time in churches, reception venus, etc.
I'll have to agree with this. I wouldn't bother having a second camera solely for the purpose of being able to switch over to a fish-eye or WA lens. They are quickly screwed on and off.

In response to the original questions, you don't need to take that UV filter off Scott. Personally I keep a UV filter on my camera all the time in order to keep the original lens from getting scratched or dirty. It's easier to clean a UV filter than the lens anyway as I shoot with a DVX100A. That guard on it makes access to the lens a bit tougher. The UV filter doesn't do too much optically (as long as you have a good one) so adding your wide angle or fish-eye lens should be fine. It will be quicker that way and easier for you.

As others have mentioned, I wouldn't use the fish-eye except for rare shots. Maybe establishing shots or a few moving shots. Use it too much and most audiences won't like it. The fish-eye lens has its place, but sometimes it is overdone. The wide angle lens (how wide is it? 0.6x, 0.5x?) you can use for many different situations. As others have said, I'd reserve it for the reception where you want to capture more of the 'big picture'. For the wedding you'll be tight with one of your cams and your balcony/rear camera is already far enough to be as wide as you'll probably need. Those are my thoughts on the original question. Best of luck to you.
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #7
Major Player

A little lost

The wide angle is the Canon WD-58H (.7)

The fisheye is the cheapest thing I could find and I will probably dissapointed and embarrassed by it, but I gotta try.

I understand about the limited fish use. I'd just want to use it take pictures of the church building and maybe something that is staged where I have time to make the change.

Someone mentioned a "150". I don't know what that is.

I won't put the wide angle on until I get to the reception or I've got a staged interview up close in a tight room (per this thread's advice).

I also now get that I can screw the lenses over the uv filter. I assume I'll have to go without my camera's hood or use a special one if I use these lenses. Right? And am I correct in thinking the hood is mainly for sunlight protection and bumping protection?

Thanks,
Scott
Old April 5th, 2006, 04:23 PM   #8
Inner Circle

If you really want to use the lens go ahead but instead of screw mounts why not get bayonet mount. Faster, easier and less chance of messing up the filter threads. Should be the same price as well (or within a few bucks)

I agree that 1 camera probably wouldn't need the WA and the other will or should be close enough to get great shots without it. For the reception your idea of using the WA for tight areas if you're doing interviews is fine just keep in mind that sometimes people get really uptight being in front of the camera to begin with and then with the WA on the camera you're going to be pretty much right on top of them. Just something to think about.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 04:49 PM   #9
Major Player

Consider filters rather than lenses

Scott,

Instead of changing lenses, consider different filters. For indoor ceremonies, I use the Tiffen SF/3. It softens the image and gives the flame on candles that "romantic" glow. Brides-to-be want it when I show them the difference with it on and off & ask which they prefer. This particular filter does not work well outdoors, however.

There are all sorts of filters for different effects, and most cost a lot less than a special lens.

As far as a wide angle lens, its useful (for me) when I have to shoot from the audience side & the wedding party is spread across most of the front of the church, or when I shoot from the front and want to get the crowd shot -- if there is a crowd. Other than that, I use the standard lens for the ceremony, reception & all else.
Tom Tomkowiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #10
Major Player

Filters! Filters!

Filters! Oh yeah, that's something I've been meaning to ask about for a long time. When I look at BH Photo I see multiple sizes 49, 67, 77mm... That throws me.

So to get me started, (I have GL1 and VX2100), what sizes do I look for? If I put Filter A on the Sony, should I put an identical filter on the Canon?

What are the most common/useful ones to start with. I know Tom mentioned Tiffen SF/3, but I wasn't coming up with anything using that term on BH.

Thanks,
Scott
Old April 5th, 2006, 07:33 PM   #11
Major Player

Here's a good place to find out a bit about different filters:
http://dvcreators.net/ws/tiffen-filters

If you shop around a bit, you can find lower prices elsewhere.
Tom Tomkowiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Routt
So to get me started, (I have GL1 and VX2100), what sizes do I look for? If I put Filter A on the Sony, should I put an identical filter on the Canon?
You happen to be in luck here. Cameras have all kinds of different thread sizes. The Canon GL-1 and the Sony VX2100 both have a 58mm thread size. Look for filters with a 58mm thread size and you'll be fine. You're lucky to have both cameras with the same thread size. My DVX100A has a 72mm thread size, as does the Sony FX1/Z1U. There are a variety of sizes for all types of cameras, which is why there are so many different sizes of filters.
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2006, 12:05 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Routt
Filters! Oh yeah, that's something I've been meaning to ask about for a long time. When I look at BH Photo I see multiple sizes 49, 67, 77mm... That throws me.

What are the most common/useful ones to start with. I know Tom mentioned Tiffen SF/3, but I wasn't coming up with anything using that term on BH.

Thanks,
Scott
Those numbers refer to the different thread sizes, depending on which camera you are using. You had asked about the 150's earlier, and I noticed that nobody repsonded to your question. I believe that may be a shorter name for the Sony DSR-PD150's. The newer models are PD170's. These two Sony cameras have a front thread screw of 58mm, if I am not mistaken. I am not sure what thread screw the VX2100 and the GL1/GL2 have. You can simply check by looking at the front of the lens, and it will normally be labeled what size in mm it is.
Tom Bolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2006, 07:19 AM   #14
Major Player

Filters etc

Thanks for the "150" answer. Yes, I was imagining a 150mm lens and having lens envy.

When I was reading about Tiffen filters, the page said to leave the UV Protector on to protect the lens. The statement didn't clarify it for me.

Does the UV Protector go under the enhancement filter or does the enhancement filter go over the UV Protector?

I also noticed that my Canon has a standard UV Protector Filter and my Sony has a Haze-1 Filter. I realize the cameras are different and will output different colors but will two different filters like that cause me even more problems? Is it worth the extra $12 to get a standard UV Protector for the Sony and put away the Haze-1?

I did buy two Tiffen SF/3 filters last night for both cameras. Should I use these filters through all the parts of the wedding and reception (I would think the reception has less light) or are there obvious times when I should be removing them?

Also, if you can sandwich an SF/3 filter with a UV/Filter. And you can put a WA Lens over a UV Protector. Can you triple sandwich a WA over a SF/3 and UV Protector?
Old April 6th, 2006, 07:30 AM   #15
Major Player

I now have to add to the above UV Protector confusion because I went to BH Photo and saw a "Wide Angle" Tiffen UV Protector. And that's making me think I can't use my current 58mm UV Protector if I use a Wide Angle Lens.

So I'm really having trouble deciphering the physical locations on the camera for lenses and filters.
-Scott
Scott Routt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques