Low ball videographers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 6th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Low ball videographers

I have been struggling to get established doing wedding videos, spent a ton of cash on equipment etc. and set my prices reasonably low ($950) for a basic coverage contract and up to $2K for the full deal. The work I have done at $950 really makes it tight to even make a profit when considering the time put in to editing and the cost of doing business. I plan on raising my basic fee to something over $1200 in the near future.

Now...I attend a bridal show last week... and this other wedding videography company has a booth set up, an unimpressive demo running on a huge widescreen TV. Makes my 30" LCD look dinky. I wander over and introduce myself, she is new to the business, only done her daughters wedding last year and from what I gather has very little editing skills and explains that her son is going to help her out with that. She is offering full day coverage for $500. I asked her how she can possibly offer that....she looks dismayed and asks what I mean. Good grief she has some surprises coming.

During the day brides are all commenting on how beautiful my videos are...

Now the kicker...she books 3 weddings. I book 1. I feel like giving up.
Monte Comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #2
Major Player

1st of all don't give up, and don't sell yourself short. Building a business takes time. At $500.00 per wedding dvd those brides are going to be very dissappointed. You should base it on your work and experience. Believe me the clients will come. It's a lot of word of mouth at 1st. Rememeber it's like anything else, you get what you pay for. I certainly don't think $1,200 is too much for a wedding dvd. In fact I wont show up for less than $2,500. The $1,000 wedding dvd's are non profitable. That's fine if your doing it on the side for a friend, but not to make a living on. You figure just for the shoot it's minimum $750.00 for a 8-10 hour day. Then you add in a few days of editing at 150.00 and hour and well you do the math...See what I mean. It's a business just like anything else. You're in it to make money not give it away. So if you work speaks for itself, then the business will come.

Mark
Mark Bournes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques