Lanc controller recomendation? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 13th, 2006, 11:08 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Boyd, I didn't think I was disrespecting their traditions or beliefs. I was just asking why a business would close for 7 days. We're way too touchy about beliefs in this country anymore.

As far as other sponsors, I understand not wanting to advertise competitors on here, but the only other place I could find the Bogen that seemed reputable was ALSO closed for the next week and a half. It's not my forum, but I think it's a little extreme to not allow the mention of ANY vendors that aren't sponsors, especially in a situation like this. Just my opinion.

I'll let you guys know how these VZ Rock's work out.
Old April 19th, 2006, 04:54 AM   #17
New Boot

Manfrotto 523 Lanc Controller

Can anyone tell me if Push Auto Focus works on the Canon XL2 using the the Manfrotto 523 Lanc Controller.

Thanks.

Alex.
Alex Calderhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 05:57 AM   #18
Major Player

That would be marvelous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Calderhead
Can anyone tell me if Push Auto Focus works on the Canon XL2 using the the Manfrotto 523 Lanc Controller.

Thanks.

Alex.
My lenses have tape on the af switch. Keeps it on manual always. Too bad there is no lanc to lens control for the push a/f.

I did once see a Frankenstein job done on a 16x lens where a remote wire was hanging out of the push a/f button on the lens back to a tripod mounted controller but you likely want to avoid that. Bathtub silicone was used to cover the scars. Something about voiding the warranty...

Do be careful using the push a/f to quickly grab focus especially at full wide. It is often nowhere close. Best method is the zoom in grab focus and pull back.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 06:10 AM   #19
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy McKenzie
Do be careful using the push a/f to quickly grab focus especially at full wide. It is often nowhere close. Best method is the zoom in grab focus and pull back.
Eh? Yes? .. with, I think, this most important proviso . .

For me when I'm on W/A plus M/F, I ZOOM hard to get a really sharp edge or detail; PUSH Focus - momentarily takes M/F off; Release P/F - manual snaps in; ZOOM out - job done!

Which is EXACTLY what you are saying - BUT using P/F snaps the focus in by overriding the manual focus. I wouldn't want anybody to think that P/F doesn't have this most valuable, quick and accurate option. The point is NOT to PUSH focus while still on wide. Use it when ZOOMED in hard.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 10:49 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Capturing Video - Camera vs Deck?

Hey, I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a Capture Deck. I just wonder whether all the capturing that you have to do of your footage is worth the hours that you put on your MiniDv's transport system. Any opinions, and/or recommendations reasonably priced decks
Chris Sigmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard
Eh? Yes? .. with, I think, this most important proviso . .

For me when I'm on W/A plus M/F, I ZOOM hard to get a really sharp edge or detail; PUSH Focus - momentarily takes M/F off; Release P/F - manual snaps in; ZOOM out - job done!

Which is EXACTLY what you are saying - BUT using P/F snaps the focus in by overriding the manual focus. I wouldn't want anybody to think that P/F doesn't have this most valuable, quick and accurate option. The point is NOT to PUSH focus while still on wide. Use it when ZOOMED in hard.

Grazie
Precisely. Almost.

I tend to manually focus at full t/f. But you are correct in indicating that this is nicely accomplished by letting the push button do it for you. Unless you are after very critical focus the button works not bad..
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #22
Major Player

Welcome Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sigmon
Hey, I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a Capture Deck. I just wonder whether all the capturing that you have to do of your footage is worth the hours that you put on your MiniDv's transport system. Any opinions, and/or recommendations reasonably priced decks
Most folks seem to use cheapie cams. Try to search using a few key words and you will find this topic heavily covered here in the not too distant past.

Also, be sure to start a new topic in the best category at the top of the board you are after. That way it won't become embedded within an existing string as this one has.

Best of luck!
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques