I wanna see some GOOD stuff... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 13th, 2006, 04:12 PM   #16
Trustee

Compression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Spaulding
Very nice work, well edited. I too liked the music.

The h264 looks like it preserved your look very well. Too bad about the parking ticket...

I ahve been worrying about posting my samples using to small of a resolution and too large of a file size, but mine are hitting 4-12MB so may be I don't need to worry too much.

Is this the file size / compression you are thinking of using for your customers to preview your work?

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 07:13 PM   #17
Major Player

Hi Yoochul,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoochul Chong
What soundtrack is the score from? I like it.

There are actually parts of three soundtracks in there - Cider House Rules, Mona Lisa, and Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events.
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 07:24 PM   #18
Major Player

Hi Chuck,

Quote:
Very nice work, well edited. I too liked the music.
I really owe a lot to the music. I'll never deny that. Without the music it could never have the same impact.

Quote:
The h264 looks like it preserved your look very well.
Very much so. I'm psyched about being able to hold on to a decent image online. It looks a lot better in so many different ways than the Windows or QT Sorenson 3 versions I encoded. Its just a little too new for me to be able to put it out there though. Too many people would need to update either their browser plugin or their player version.

Quote:
Too bad about the parking ticket...
The bride and groom already reimbursed me for it, along with about $55 in parking fees. Its brutal to park in downtown Chicago.
Old April 13th, 2006, 07:38 PM   #19
Major Player

Hi Jason,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson
I have been worrying about posting my samples using too small of a resolution and too large of a file size, but mine are hitting 4-12MB so may be I don't need to worry too much.
It really depends on your target bit rate. You can experiment with the same clip at different pixel counts and frame rates until you get the best compromise. Going to 15 fps can allow you to have a larger image at the same bit rate, for example. But you may not like the choppy look of 15 fps and decide to get a more fluid look with a smaller pixel count.

Quote:
Is this the file size / compression you are thinking of using for your customers to preview your work?
Rough speeds are dial-up at 50kbps, 500 kbps for a mediocre DSL connection like mine and 1-5 mbps for a cable connection. I limit the files for online previews and samples at an average bit rate of about 500kbps. The H264 sample was about 800kbps and would cause stalling on anything slower than a cable connection if someone tried to watch it right away and straight through. Its 300x400, so I might be able to get the same clarity at 500kbps with 320x240 and 15 fps settings. Its all give and take. Its never going to look fantastic, just 'not bad'.
Old April 13th, 2006, 07:52 PM   #20
Major Player

Hey Peter,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Chung
Hi Joel,

Thanks for posting. Classic! You are one of the primary reasons that inspired me to start wedding videography.
That is so cool to hear. Your web site is looking great. I hope all is going well for you.
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:30 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine
Hi Tom,
I shoot alone, so only one Glidecam, monopod etc. I include all four of the cameras for all ceremony coverages. I also have a TRV-900 that I use for family taping that I take along too if I see the need. Its my 'huppah-cam' for Jewish weddings - goes on a home-made clamp with a miniature ball tripod head attached. (But I'm seeing a trend toward really flimsy huppahs, ones that could never support a camera.) I use one stationary and one mobile camera at receptions.
Hi Joel, I'm deciding between a Flowpod or a Glidecam Pro 2000 with Monopod. May I ask you how often do you switch between the monopod n tripod. Wouldnt it be real tiring to go on the glidecam without the smooth shooter? OR r u using one? Anyway, great job!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:19 AM   #22
Major Player

Hi Sean,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah
I'm deciding between a Flowpod or a Glidecam Pro 2000 with Monopod. May I ask you how often do you switch between the monopod n tripod. Wouldnt it be real tiring to go on the glidecam without the smooth shooter? OR r u using one? Anyway, great job!
I do have a SmoothShooter but I haven't found it necessary. The only problem I've had is some wrist strain. I'd say I use the monopod 75% of the time.
Old April 14th, 2006, 08:13 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Hey Peter,

That is so cool to hear. Your web site is looking great. I hope all is going well for you.
Thanks Joel. I am still trying to drum up business. It seems that March and April are slow months and have been told to just hang in there until the summer months... All the vendors I have met with really like my work and say I should have no problem succeeding in this business but I am having trouble getting exposure to and finding clients.

I'm at a point that I'm willing to do anything to get people exposed to my work, even making phone calls (but not do anything for nothing, if you know what I mean ;). I just have to find good leads... Any ideas as to how to find good leads and/or get exposure?
Peter Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 09:13 AM   #24
Major Player

Hi Peter,

Quote:
I just have to find good leads... Any ideas as to how to find good leads and/or get exposure?
Check out the most recent entry here:

www.JoelPeregrine.com

Its rough because it originated as an email response, but there might be something in there that helps.
Old April 14th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #25
Trustee

Marketing

Quote:
Thanks Joel. I am still trying to drum up business. It seems that March and April are slow months and have been told to just hang in there until the summer months... All the vendors I have met with really like my work and say I should have no problem succeeding in this business but I am having trouble getting exposure to and finding clients.

I'm at a point that I'm willing to do anything to get people exposed to my work, even making phone calls (but not do anything for nothing, if you know what I mean ;). I just have to find good leads... Any ideas as to how to find good leads and/or get exposure?
This is the wrong thread I suppose, but since you asked I'll comment real quick...

I found a marketing possibility. I recently opened my corporate financials through a bank in town. That bank has a "Business Of The Week" sort of deal where their corporate customer's get a chance to set up a table in their lobby and put their flyers, etc on display. They also allow computers. I am going (today actually) to set up an old PIII/500MHz system with a big LCD playing my brand new wedding sampler video on a loop. Then I'll have a stack of flyers and business cards available. I might even stop by and stand around for a few minutes during the peak traffic times.

Check with your corporate accoutn bank and see if they offer that kind of opportunity. Or even ask if they are interested in starting that sort of a program. You can spin it to them as a great way to help their corporate customers get more money in their bank. :-)

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Hi Peter,

Check out the most recent entry here:

www.JoelPeregrine.com

Its rough because it originated as an email response, but there might be something in there that helps.

Thanks, Joel! That's some good stuff! Is there any way to subscribe to your blog to automatically send to an email address?

In terms of getting your demo out there, do you burn and package each of your demo DVDs or do you get them duplicated somewhere? Do you give them a packaged demo or a plain disc with a basic label?

What I have been doing is setting up meetings with vendors individually and then showing them a sample of my work and DVD. I want to have several copies of my demo to hand out and for vendors to keep but I am trying to find the most cost-effective and efficient way to produce them. I've had good reactions from the vendors around here and they really like my work but I haven't had any referrals from them...

Thanks for the "Look into Joel Peregrine's Mind" blog site :)

Peter
Old April 14th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
This is the wrong thread I suppose, but since you asked I'll comment real quick...

I found a marketing possibility. I recently opened my corporate financials through a bank in town. That bank has a "Business Of The Week" sort of deal where their corporate customer's get a chance to set up a table in their lobby and put their flyers, etc on display. They also allow computers. I am going (today actually) to set up an old PIII/500MHz system with a big LCD playing my brand new wedding sampler video on a loop. Then I'll have a stack of flyers and business cards available. I might even stop by and stand around for a few minutes during the peak traffic times.

Check with your corporate accoutn bank and see if they offer that kind of opportunity. Or even ask if they are interested in starting that sort of a program. You can spin it to them as a great way to help their corporate customers get more money in their bank. :-)

jason
That's a pretty cool and creative idea! Definitely something different and that stands out. It might be a better idea to have something like this with different wedding vendors, like reception halls, since they have people coming through looking for wedding related services.

Thanks, Jason.

Peter
Old April 14th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks, Joel! That's some good stuff! Is there any way to subscribe to your blog to automatically send to an email address?
Sure! I was going to set up an RSS feed but I think once the season starts I won't be adding much so it won't get used. An email list would work though.

Quote:
In terms of getting your demo out there, do you burn and package each of your demo DVDs or do you get them duplicated somewhere? Do you give them a packaged demo or a plain disc with a basic label?
I burn the DVD's in the background while I edit. Every 15 minutes or so I swap out the disc. For packaging I use clear semi-flexible plastic cases from polylinecorp.com and put a full-color NEATO label on them.

http://www.polylinecorp.com/productl...10000400000450

Quote:
I've had good reactions from the vendors around here and they really like my work but I haven't had any referrals from them...
It just takes time. Local name recognition is important. Be persistent. It'll all be worth it. After a while people will say 'oh, I've heard of you.' Be pleasant. Smile a lot. Be enthusiastic about what you do. Everyone will pick up on that.
Old April 16th, 2006, 11:20 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Joel,

I lot of people are saying that highlight sequence was good...

Sincerely, it was 100% fantastic! Every single element flowed seamlessly from beginning to end. It was a story well told and a joy to watch. Many, many thanks for sharing.

Mossy
Maurice O Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 09:34 AM   #30
Major Player

Thanks Mossy! Your comments are always appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice O Carroll
Joel,

I lot of people are saying that highlight sequence was good...

Sincerely, it was 100% fantastic! Every single element flowed seamlessly from beginning to end. It was a story well told and a joy to watch. Many, many thanks for sharing.

Mossy
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques