1 camera gig - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 13th, 2006, 05:10 PM   #16
Inner Circle

I can't emphasize enough to NEVER shut the camera(s) down during the ceremony-you'll play havoc tying to sync everything and as Jason said, even if you're moving ROLL TAPE! If there are 2 of you shooting make sure only one of you is moving at a time otherwise you get 2 shots that might be unusable.

Here's something else I do depending on the layout of the venue. Once the ceremony is going (I'm talking about a Catholic masss ceremony-generally runs around 50-55 minutes in my area) while the Priest is reading the gospel I'll grab a 3rd camera and quitely go up a side aisle to grab some cutaways of the parents and grandparents as they are usually up front in the 2nd pew and sometimes the bridal party is in the 1st pew so I can get CAs of them as well. Now I only do that when I know the priest and know that he's OK with it. I talk to the officiant before even if I've done 50 weddings there with that person before I always ask and so far it's worked out. I get back to the prime cam before the priest does the vows and am back on the prime cam for the remainder of the ceremony. But this only works in certain venues, some just aren't set up to be able to get to the area I need for the CAs-silly architects didn't they have video in mind when they designed the place? :-0

For audio sync, it depends on the image you're shooting -if you're using the above mention cellist for a cut away maybe a little slo-mo to dramatise it then the sync doesn't really matter. Just a thought.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 11:15 PM   #17
Major Player

Wow... I go away for a day and the replies are so helpful.

The update on my mates wedding is that his dad wants to use his new Panasonic NVG suchnsuch camera. So I'll ask him to get some audience shots and some movement, while I stay tripoded and try and get otehr angles....

This I hope will turn out ok...

Thnkyou all for the advice and input. I've negotiated enough to cover my bases with my mates dad. And if things go wrong and i find myself alone on this, all the advice I got is my backups.... lol

Thankyou thankyou... :D
Leo Pepingco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:44 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole McDonald
Try to get sound right off of the board...or the titles and performers of the songs being used so you can have pristine audio, mike the bride or groom (or the bouquet) wirelessly to get close up audio of the vows and priest/minister/rabbi/shaman...
The bride rarely has the bouquet during the vows. At that point, she has already given it to the maid of honor, in preparation for the ring exchange. At least, that's how it has been for every wedding I have seen. ;o)
Tom Bolia is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques